Old Bands with Great Late Releases

This thread has me re-playing 13 by Sabbath

um........yea can't include it.  it's one big tribute to better times.  every song echoes another.  Not a bad thing but with them it's coming across as see what we used to be?  ok now go put thoes albums on, lol

Mick

43 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

I almost forgot about Hackney Diamonds by the Rolling Stones. That album was far better than it had any reason to be. 

Blue and Lonesome, even if it's a blues cover album.  I recall John Fugelsang saying how it's just the Stones being a good band instead of just trying to be The Rolling Stones.  In that case, I'd say Mondo Bizarro by Ramones was a nice return to form.

More on the xennial side of old, since I'm the same age as Brandon Flowers, Pressure Machine was a very pleasant surprise for me.  Best album by The Killers since the awesome one two punch of Hot Fuss and Sam's Town.  They've been hit or miss with me since but I love the stripped down sound.

As far as solo artists go, Heathen by Bowie and Magic by The Boss.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, invisible airwave said:

Blue and Lonesome, even if it's a blues cover album.  I recall John Fugelsang saying how it's just the Stones being a good band instead of just trying to be The Rolling Stones.  In that case, I'd say Mondo Bizarro by Ramones was a nice return to form.

More on the xennial side of old, since I'm the same age as Brandon Flowers, Pressure Machine was a very pleasant surprise for me.  Best album by The Killers since the awesome one two punch of Hot Fuss and Sam's Town.  They've been hit or miss with me since but I love the stripped down sound.

As far as solo artists go, Heathen by Bowie and Magic by The Boss.

Magic is a GREAT album.  i've said later boss is hit or miss but Magic hits it all the way out of the park.

Mick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

How do we define "old"? Because there are bands from the nineties who honestly fit this standard.  Twenty years ago, I saw the eighties defined as old school, so it's not a stretch to include nineties bands now.

if we're talking age of the members then personally I'd say it depends on the genre, and vocalists seem to get aged out faster than musicians. 

The last couple of Cheap Trick albums are tops.

You guys already mentioned Priest and Maiden, yeah.

Here's one:
Overkill - 'Scorched'. Released last year.

I'd argue that it's a better sounding album than the new Metallica record - and better songs too. 

• Like 2

Stratovarius is the only one I can think of which has been around for a long time (late 80s) and their best albums have been from 2011 onward. I'll admit some of their absolute best songs are from the earlier years, but when it comes to making good full-length albums Elysium, Nemesis, and Eternal are all amazing.

What's also interesting about the band is that none of the band members are original band members - they even lost their main songwriter Tolkki in 2008 (this is the real reason their music has been a lot better since then, lol), the two longest standing band members now are Jens and Timo who have been in the band since 1994/1995, and they are a key reason as to why the band began to see success. 

It's cool that the band is all about the merit of the musicians and you can tell they're passionate about the practice, you have a 60 y/o keyboardist, 54 y/o lead vocalist, 46 y/o bassist, 40 y/o lead guitarist, and the drummer is in his early 30s. It's like they're a family of older/younger brothers. 

• Like 1

It's an older album already but it was later in his career.

Sunken Condos by Donald Fagen.  maan if Walter Becker who was still alive back then had played on it....you'd have a killer Steely Dan album.

Fun fact......Segue had been loving this album WHILE bagging on the dan.  BITCH!!!!!!! it was so funny.  it was a dan record basically, lol

Mick

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

Stratovarius is the only one I can think of which has been around for a long time (late 80s) and their best albums have been from 2011 onward. I'll admit some of their absolute best songs are from the earlier years, but when it comes to making good full-length albums Elysium, Nemesis, and Eternal are all amazing.

What's also interesting about the band is that none of the band members are original band members - they even lost their main songwriter Tolkki in 2008 (this is the real reason their music has been a lot better since then, lol), the two longest standing band members now are Jens and Timo who have been in the band since 1994/1995, and they are a key reason as to why the band began to see success. 

It's cool that the band is all about the merit of the musicians and you can tell they're passionate about the practice, you have a 60 y/o keyboardist, 54 y/o lead vocalist, 46 y/o bassist, 40 y/o lead guitarist, and the drummer is in his early 30s. It's like they're a family of older/younger brothers. 

I love all I've heard from Stratovarius. Like Angra and Symphony X, the reason I'm not a bigger fan is because back in the day, their albums were expensive. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

It's an older album already but it was later in his career.

Sunken Condos by Donald Fagen.  maan if Walter Becker who was still alive back then had played on it....you'd have a killer Steely Dan album.

Fun fact......Segue had been loving this album WHILE bagging on the dan.  BITCH!!!!!!! it was so funny.  it was a dan record basically, lol

Mick

I never even thought it sounded like Dan til I made the connection 🤣

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

I love all I've heard from Stratovarius. Like Angra and Symphony X, the reason I'm not a bigger fan is because back in the day, their albums were expensive. 

you haven't listened to their first three albums then :D

Like i was alluding to in my last post about the band, it wasn't good until their fourth album "fourth dimension" when Timo joined as the lead vocalist, and then once they got Jens in as the keyboardist for the fifth album they really started to break ground. 

26 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

you haven't listened to their first three albums then :D

Like i was alluding to in my last post about the band, it wasn't good until their fourth album "fourth dimension" when Timo joined as the lead vocalist, and then once they got Jens in as the keyboardist for the fifth album they really started to break ground. 

No, I distinctly remember being told to skip early albums lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

Judas Priest The last two.

Blue Oyster cults last album was AMAZING.

I really enjoyed the last rolling Stones and i'm not even a big fan.

Iron Maiden.  yes you can argue they're all too long which i agree but they all have Quality songs.

Styx last two.

Mick

Weren't you a big fan of Redeemer of Souls as well?

5 hours ago, grep said:

The last couple of Cheap Trick albums are tops.

You guys already mentioned Priest and Maiden, yeah.

Here's one:
Overkill - 'Scorched'. Released last year.

I'd argue that it's a better sounding album than the new Metallica record - and better songs too. 

Overkill have had a great late run since Ironbound, particularly Ironbound, The Electric Age, White Devil Armory and the Grinding Wheel.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Weren't you a big fan of Redeemer of Souls as well?

it was angel of Retribution i loved.  Redeemer always sounded a bit phoned in to me.

Mick

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

it was angel of Retribution i loved.  Redeemer always sounded a bit phoned in to me.

Mick

Rob won't like this mutinous behaviour :wagfinger:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

This thread has me re-playing 13 by Sabbath

um........yea can't include it.  it's one big tribute to better times.  every song echoes another.  Not a bad thing but with them it's coming across as see what we used to be?  ok now go put thoes albums on, lol

Mick

I guess I should revisit it. I remember really being floored by it on release.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, treeduck said:

Rob won't like this mutinous behaviour :wagfinger:

My band has a song about mutinous behavior! Do you think Rob would like that?

1 hour ago, treeduck said:

Maybe he would. :yes:

Yay!

• Like 1

Every post-2000 Depeche Mode album is been at least very good, a few I consider great. Particularly 2005's Playing the Angel.

As someone already mentioned, Cheap Trick's recent stuff has been pretty strong.

Peter Gabriel's new album I/O is up there with his best.

Didn't love the new Stones album but the solo album Keith Richards put out about 10 years ago is really good.

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

I'll put a vote in for Black Sabbath 13. Supposedly they were workingon a next album and Ozzy said enough, people want the older songs. Sez you. I would have liked to hear them.

But, yeah... Firepower by Judas Priest could have come out in 1985 for all I'm concerned. Blue Oyster Cult totally delivered the goods.

• Like 1

Yeah, Sabbath 13 was my album of the summer that year. 

• Like 1

Just now, grep said:

Yeah, Sabbath 13 was my album of the summer that year. 

Saw the tour, also.

• Like 1

Crap..how can I forget.

The latest AC/DC album.  Almost like a blast from the past. Very strong record IMHO.

Power Up

• Like 2