KI$$ Dynasty May Be their Best Album

On 1/8/2024 at 12:40 PM, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

🤔Yeah, I think I read years ago that 

Randy Rhoads for example was inspired 

by Ace 👍

Ace is/was cited by many as their premier guitar hero.

Dimebag Darrell

Paul Gilbert

Marty Friedman 

are just three big hitters I can name off the top of my head.

• Like 1

This thread has inspired me to listen to 

Ace’s solos albums ! 👍🙂

🤔 To be fair to Ace I like his vocals as well as his guitar playing ! 
 He might not be of the same techical level 

as say Luke when it comes to very top, top level 🎸 players who can also sing .. but he’s plenty good enough for me !

Plus I’ve just down loaded and played loadsa times his brand, brand new Jan 2024 Single

’ 10,000 Volts ‘ very cool ! 😎

• Like 1

I always think of Unmasked as Dynasty's kid brother and has some good tunes on it to my mind - easy as it seems and she's so european and fun listens to name a couple. (Plus it probably has one of if not the best cover of all Kiss's albums!)

Ok it Dynasty has the 2 biggies in 'I was made..' and 'Sure know something' plus 'hard times' but I'm can't remember the rest of the album being as engaging. 

Still both worth a listen if you have a passing interest in KISS (whether Ace was involved in them or not!).

Now I'm off to listen to that other underrated gem 'The Elder'.......

Edited by XanaduSuperConductor
  • Like 1

I actually consider Dynasty to be the last true KISS Klassic. Most think of the debut through Love Gun as their classic run, but Dynasty is just as good if not better than a couple of the first six albums in my book. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 12:53 PM, XanaduSuperConductor said:

I always think of Unmasked as Dynasty's kid brother and has some good tunes on it to my mind - easy as it seems and she's so european and fun listens to name a couple. (Plus it probably has one of if not the best cover of all Kiss's albums!)

Ok it Dynasty has the 2 biggies in 'I was made..' and 'Sure know something' plus 'hard times' but I'm can't remember the rest of the album being as engaging. 

Still both worth a listen if you have a passing interest in KISS (whether Ace was involved in them or not!).

Now I'm off to listen to that other underrated gem 'The Elder'.......

On 1/29/2024 at 6:56 PM, GeddyLeeRoth said:

I actually consider Dynasty to be the last true KISS Klassic. Most think of the debut through Love Gun as their classic run, but Dynasty is just as good if not better than a couple of the first six albums in my book. 

I generally agree with these sentiments. 

I really like Dynasty. A lot of strong material indeed. Yeah it is certainly a lot more in the AOR genre but a lot of Kiss’s later stuff evolved to that in that 3 album run. 

Unmasked.....I finally after 40 year revisited this album.....and yeah there are some very catchy songs on here. It’s not a great Kiss album by any means.....but it has some high quality hooks and is a clear departure from the first 6 albums. 

Music from The Elder also has some solid to good redeeming qualities. They tried.....they really tried a true concept album and from everything I read were also going to make a movie to accompany the album. Well that fizzled LOL. 

This was a a huge transition period for the band. I mean they clearly lost their way in terms of what their hardcore fan base wanted.....but dare I say they actually tried to be a “progressive pop rock band” on that 3 album run? Yeah you can say that.

For the record here are my personal rankings of the Kiss albums from the Make-up era and let’s be real the best era of Kiss.

1. Kiss Alive

2. Kiss Alive II 

Those two albums are simply the best......they are a live band (they have never been a studio band) and yes they did plenty of studio clean up and it sounds like some canned crowd screaming.......but shit...these are the best albums that when I want Kiss.....these are the 2 go to albums. 

So here are the Studio rankings

1. Destroyer

2. Rock n Roll All Over

3. Love Gun

4. Dynasty

5. Dressed To Kill

6. Kiss

7. Creatures of the Night

8. Hotter Than Hell

9. Music From The Elder

10. Unmasked

I could throw in th solo albums of 1978......Paul Stanley was my fave and would slot right in after Kiss self titled and then Ace’s record right after it. I could care less about Gene’s and Peter’s.

Edited by Todem

Regarding KISS Alive, plenty of studio cleanup indeed:  "Kiss fully admitted to overdubbing the album. Stanley said: 'What we felt was necessary was to capture the energy of the performance, not necessarily having it note for note of what actually happened.' Simmons said: 'Most people assume it was all live. It wasn't.'"

Still, it's  a great KISS collection.  As far as my personal ranking,  I put Love Gun at the top, soundwise.  Song-wise it's Destroyer.

• Like 1

I like Dynasty, it was a perfect follow-up to the 4 solo records. Dirt Livin' is batter than anything found on that dreadful Peter Criss solo record. I don't think of Dynasty as an underrated record. It had a massive hit on it and Kiss was still at the tail end of their massive popularity era. The Elder is the album I think of as under-rated. Ignored by radio, not sure they even toured with that record. That Unmasked stinker is easily my least favorite KISS album from the original line-up maybe overall, but there are a few albums post make-up era that I've never heard (Carnival of Souls/Monster/Sonic Boom).

Overrated Kiss albums to me are Love Gun and Rock and Roll Over. Massively popular records at the time, I think still regarded as great KISS records by their Army, but I would have to drop half the songs from each to make a really good single album from the both of them

Rock and Roll Over/Love Gun Compilation

Side One

I Want You

Take Me

Calling Doctor Love

Mr. Speed

Makin' Love

Side Two

I Stole Your Love

Shock Me

Love Gun

Almost Human

Plaster Caster

there, that's a pretty decent Kiss record - and no Peter Criss songs, so Peter would have been plenty pissed

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 12:51 AM, taurus said:

I like Dynasty, it was a perfect follow-up to the 4 solo records. Dirt Livin' is batter than anything found on that dreadful Peter Criss solo record. I don't think of Dynasty as an underrated record. It had a massive hit on it and Kiss was still at the tail end of their massive popularity era. The Elder is the album I think of as under-rated. Ignored by radio, not sure they even toured with that record. That Unmasked stinker is easily my least favorite KISS album from the original line-up maybe overall, but there are a few albums post make-up era that I've never heard (Carnival of Souls/Monster/Sonic Boom).

Overrated Kiss albums to me are Love Gun and Rock and Roll Over. Massively popular records at the time, I think still regarded as great KISS records by their Army, but I would have to drop half the songs from each to make a really good single album from the both of them

Rock and Roll Over/Love Gun Compilation

Side One

I Want You

Take Me

Calling Doctor Love

Mr. Speed

Makin' Love

Side Two

I Stole Your Love

Shock Me

Love Gun

Almost Human

Plaster Caster

there, that's a pretty decent Kiss record - and no Peter Criss songs, so Peter would have been plenty pissed

Kiss was notorious for “filler” tunes throughout their discography. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Todem said:

Kiss was notorious for “filler” tunes throughout their discography. 

Big time - Motley Crue would later carry on the tradition

• Like 1