Smartphones.............

BigMontanaSKY

two questions -

- Apple or Android?

- Budget?

There are so many choices.

• Like 1

I assume you need to have the ability to make calls while away from home.

If I am wrong in that assumption, and given your desire to limit tech in your life, allow me to extend the following advice:

If contrary to my assumption, you merely want a mobile option you can leave behind, consider getting a tablet instead. I got an iPad mini a few years back for the sole purpose of being able to do digital presentations in the classroom and only ever use it for that. Otherwise it never leaves the apartment. If I had a phone, I'm afraid I'd know no such discipline.

It's all the same shit, regurgitated into newer flashier models. Every mobile phone you see out there has the same basic features packaged in. Software/radio that behaves like a phone, a camera, and an assortment of apps like a browser, media player, etc.

Honestly, just go to the shop and look at a bunch of different ones. Then find the one that is the least expensive and still does a bunch of stuff that will actually help you.

• Like 1

Apple is relatively expensive, but is reliable, excellent performance and good build quality.

Android on the other hand offers a multitude of choices from dirt cheap right up to high end prices. However some Android phones are better than others.

Personally I use an Android phone purely because I feel I get more 'bang for my bucks' than an expensive Apple handset.

• Like 5

Also plays into which os you are more comfortable with.  If you have questions what do your circle of family and/or friends use?  My wife and I are android users.  My son however is an apple user and so are most of his friends.  I couldn't tell you the first thing about operating iphones and my son is the same in reverse.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, zepphead said:

Apple is relatively expensive, but is reliable, excellent performance and good build quality.

Android on the other hand offers a multitude of choices from dirt cheap right up to high end prices. However some Android phones are better than others.

Personally I use an Android phone purely because I feel I get more 'bang for my bucks' than an expensive Apple handset.

For me it was the LINUX vibe at first. Android's OS being derived from that.  Since then I've had no reason to switch. Apple's stuff doesn't have a good price/value ratio for me.    Same thing with computers..... I will never run a Mac.

• Like 3

My Android is an unlocked phone that I bought from B&H Photo. When you buy a phone from say, AT&T, it comes pre-installed with all kinds of bloatware and apps that AT&T wants you to have because they make money off of it all. But the main thing is, the phone is already set up to work  on THEIR network, and theirs alone. You're locked into using them for your cell service. That's how they get away with giving away phones and buying out old contracts from rival carriers because they make most of their money from locking you into a two- or whatever-year contract and charging you every month for the service.

An unlocked phone isn't tied in with a carrier like AT&T or Verizon. You buy just the phone from a tech store and then you can take it to whichever carrier you want and they'll get it connected. You pay them for the monthly service, but the phone is yours, and if you decide to switch carriers, you can do it as long as you're not locked into a service contract. Plus, an unlocked phone is clean. Just the operating system is installed. It has none of the spyware apps that the carrier phones come with, so you're starting out with a less intrusive phone.

• Like 5

Important question to ask yourself,  what is the main reason I am buying a phone?  Is it just to make calls, make a few searches and watch YouTube videos?  Or am I into games or taking photos a lot?  If it is the former, then you can find inexpensive phones that will do the basics without having to spend $800 plus on a phone.  I got my first smartphone in 2018, had been using a Razr since 2007 (loved that phone and it still works, use it as an alarm now) so I was able to find an unlocked Motorola phone for about $ 300.  I just stuck with them since I had such good luck with my Razr.  I would love to have a foldable phone again but not going to pay over a $1,000 for it.   I am looking to get a newer one only because my phone is no longer getting updates to the software but going to go for inexpensive one again.

• Like 4

The first smartphone I had was a cheap Samsung android, it was great and worked well but they quit updating the Android system on it. I got another unlocked Samsung phone about 3 years ago. Rhyta has good advice, I was interested in getting better photos so I upgraded like one level and got a Samsung A51 , it was about 300.00. Works great and nice camera. I mostly text people and take photos and search. I had to call someone the other day and had to stop for a second to remember how to do it, it's what I do less of.:laugh:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, blueschica said:

The first smartphone I had was a cheap Samsung android, it was great and worked well but they quit updating the Android system on it. I got another unlocked Samsung phone about 3 years ago. Rhyta has good advice, I was interested in getting better photos so I upgraded like one level and got a Samsung A51 , it was about 300.00. Works great and nice camera. I mostly text people and take photos and search. I had to call someone the other day and had to stop for a second to remember how to do it, it's what I do less of.:laugh:

Yeah ...... apparently you can use these gizmos to make phone calls ..... I must give it a try lol!!

• Haha 2

On 7/9/2023 at 4:03 AM, treeduck said:

I've never owned one! 

Are you a time-traveller from a bygone age?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You can't go wrong with an iPhone or an Android phone, really.  I've been using an Android platform phone since probably 2010.  My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy S22.

If it matters to you, the iPhones are made in China, and the Samsung phones are made on South Korea.

• Like 3

As an older person I get sad when I think about how Smartphones have allowed technology to intrude into every aspect of daily life.

Just saying. 

On a positive note my current phone has lasted wayyy longer than I expected. 

• Like 3

Android is the way to go as there are many more choices and they don't have the control on options that Apple does. A big plus used to be if you had an Android you weren't in the Apple cult but I think that's died down some. I don't recall people camping out for a new Samsung and I've never seen an Android or Microsoft sticker on a car. Sayin'.

• Like 2

In this wild journey of purchasing a new phone, I learned most people don't want flip phones anymore b/c GPS + other handy features of a Smartphone are so in demand.

Also- selling phones to people is a great job if you excel at retail sales. I mean America is full of tweenagers with Smartphones now. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BigMontanaSKY said:

As an older person I get sad when I think about how Smartphones have allowed technology to intrude into every aspect of daily life.

Just saying. 

On a positive note my current phone has lasted wayyy longer than I expected. 

You're just a baby yet! :angel::wave:

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 7:47 PM, BigMontanaSKY said:

In this wild journey of purchasing a new phone, I learned most people don't want flip phones anymore b/c GPS + other handy features of a Smartphone are so in demand.

Also- selling phones to people is a great job if you excel at retail sales. I mean America is full of tweenagers with Smartphones now. 

Google and Samsung make folding phones that are kind of flip-like if that's something you'd be interested in but I think they're pretty expensive.

On 7/8/2023 at 11:03 PM, treeduck said:

I've never owned one! 

Good for you! Seriously. I wish I didn't have to have one.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 9:35 PM, BigMontanaSKY said:

I have to get a new one.

Suggestions? I try to limit tech in my life.

I recommend Samsung or Motorola.

• Like 1