Alex Lifeson Ripping

chemistry1973

This song has slowly been growing on me for the past 30 years.

I finally love it.

This version especially.

Lerxst is channeling Robert Quine or something.

Just awesome. The entire bootleg is pure (cold) fire.

• Like 9

We did this one in our set. The solo was always, without exception, a major struggle for me. I love the song; hate that I butchered it so many times.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JARG said:

We did this one in our set. The solo was always, without exception, a major struggle for me. I love the song; hate that I butchered it so many times.

Was this a band you had a while back, or something you’ve got going now?

10 hours ago, chemistry1973 said:

I finally love it.

This version especially.

Yeah, the 'Nuts & Bolts' bootleg of the show is terrific.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, zepphead said:

Yeah, the 'Nuts & Bolts' bootleg of the show is terrific.

It’s kinda blowing my mind.

Mystic Rhythms and the Xanadu-Hemispheres suite. Whoah.

Animate too. A song I’ve never really enjoyed. Just sings on this boot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chemistry1973 said:

Was this a band you had a while back, or something you’ve got going now?

Rush tribute band back in the 90s.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chemistry1973 said:

It’s kinda blowing my mind.

Mystic Rhythms and the Xanadu-Hemispheres suite. Whoah.

Animate too. A song I’ve never really enjoyed. Just sings on this boot.

You've just talked me into giving it a spin tomorrow lol!! :alex::Neil::geddy:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grep said:

It was long after midnight when we got to unconventional love.....

:wave:

I know, I know...

What do you get when you mix Cold Fire and Nobody's Hero?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, chemistry1973 said:

Me too.

1 hour ago, Blue J said:

I always thought the phrase in the lyric was ‘unconditional love’. No?

It is.  But I heard a rumor back in the day that Ged sung it as 'unconventional'  a couple of times.    Works for me for a chuckle!

• Haha 2

On 6/14/2023 at 9:15 PM, chemistry1973 said:

I finally love it.

This version especially.

I always thought the PRS guitars were kinda lame...like from a stupid, ""they don't look cool or classic" way...and I loved when he started playing Les Paul's again.  But when I really listen back...Alex's foray back into Gibson is actually TOO heavy for me a lot of the time, too muddy and big.  The guitar tone on this live track is just so perfect - heavy but not grungy and taking up too much of the frequency so the other instruments can also shine.  So good.

• Like 2

That song was a standout from the first time I put it in the CD player. Really strong. Along with Animate. 

But that solo, ugh.

God I love so much of Alex's playing, but several of his solos just never connected with me, not as a listener nor a player. You gotta have either melody or rhythmic structure (or both), and too often he does neither.

(FYI, I'm a guitarist, and I can play about a third of their catalog.)

On the other hand, his solos in LVS and The Weapon and Limelight and Red Sector A are top-shelf, A-grade, tell-your-grandkids level of craftsmanship.

tldr: Alex's solos frustrate me. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 11:55 AM, Timbale said:

I always thought the PRS guitars were kinda lame...like from a stupid, ""they don't look cool or classic" way...and I loved when he started playing Les Paul's again.  But when I really listen back...Alex's foray back into Gibson is actually TOO heavy for me a lot of the time, too muddy and big.  The guitar tone on this live track is just so perfect - heavy but not grungy and taking up too much of the frequency so the other instruments can also shine.  So good.

I agree.  Personally, I think the same thing can be said for Ged's switch back to the '72 Jazz for CP.  I loved the clarity and definition he got out of the Wals he was playing in the late 80s and early 90s.  Even when he was using the Jazz in the early 80s, he had a much more restrained sound that was all about midrange attack.  But when he brought it back in the 90s, he seemed to go with a "more is more" philosophy and his bass sound turned into this bloated and mechanical-sounding thing that dominated every part of the spectrum.  Combined with his use of that flamenco strumming style, it's overwhelming.  I really hate his bass sound from the 2000s onwards.

Edited by Rush Didact
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Rush Didact said:

I agree.  Personally, I think the same thing can be said for Ged's switch back to the '72 Jazz for CP.  I loved the clarity and definition he got out of the Wals he was playing in the late 80s and early 90s.  Even when he was using the Jazz in the early 80s, he had a much more restrained sound that was all about midrange attack.  But when he brought it back in the 90s, he seemed to go with a "more is more" philosophy and his bass sound turned into this bloated and mechanical-sounding thing that dominated every part of the spectrum.  Combined with his use of that flamenco strumming style, it's overwhelming.  I really hate his bass sound from the 2000s onwards.

Yeah, I don't mind it on Counterparts...it's a little overdriven for my taste, but not distracting.  He's going for a thing with it, and I think he achieves it in a musical way, even if it isn't my fave of his tones.  But I totally agree with the 2000s stuff (his solo album not withstanding...) - it's just too much for me.

I've mentioned this elsewhere....but it makes me think of John Entwhistle's sound in the later part of his career.  Early on, he got that awesome level of drive from having his amp at insane levels of volume - you can tell it is an amp being overdriven.  But as those guys aged, and I'm sure the need for lower stage volumes became a priority, you can hear that he's using "distortion" instead of drive...and it is not the same.  it's a very processed sound.  And while Geddy's thing sounds a bit more organic...it's similarly too much of a 'rock guitar' sound for me.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2023 at 12:57 PM, grep said:

It was long after midnight when we got to unconventional love.....

Is that code for butt sex? :confused:

• Haha 1

On 6/18/2023 at 3:40 PM, ILSnwdog said:

Is that code for butt sex? :confused:

In my mind it had more to do with hardware.  Toys.   Might be a swing involved.

But to each his own.

Edited by grep
  • Haha 1