Signals 40th Anniversary Box Set - Liner Notes, Credits, Photos, and all of the Artwork is now online...

Jag2112

I can't get excited with any of this i'm afraid.

Such an important release as Signals -  to get what is, in my opinion, a shoddy anniversary release is pretty disappointing (to put it mildly!).

• Like 5

I honestly just find all the after-the-fact digital artwork pointless.  It totally leaves me cold...and doesn't, for me, represent how I "feel" about Signals - one of their great records.  I wish Syme would just put a book out of his re-interpretations of the album art, if that's what he's into.  A handful of live shots that I'm pretty sure we've all seen before feels really shoddy - why the hell are their NO studio photos?  Also (and perhaps there are such things in the box...it didn't seem like it, though) there are great music writers who could write about the importance of Signals as an album in their career...I'd prefer that kind of content to some image of the Facebook logo created in a computer.  Ugh.

Thank you Jag2112 - it's good for more folks to get a sense of the release!

Of interest, to me, I got my delivery today and a couple of things stood out:

The four 7 inch vinyls each have 2 songs. So, 8 songs, like Signals has 8 songs.

But New World Man is covered twice and Vital Signs and Red Barchetta (both live versions) are from Moving Pictures! So with Signals being an 8 song album, 3 songs were left out - The Analog Kid, Chemistry and Losing It. Why? 

Besides the lack of a live tour track, another missed opportunity was the inclusion of the actual Signals Tour Book. I bought that as a stand alone some time ago, but why would it not be part of the 40th release?

Will have to check if previous anniversary packs included the tour books.

And I personally love the new artwork. The package was clear that new artwork would be included, so buyer beware I guess, but a more sci-fi like theme seems very cool to me. But often with the dalmatian watching, a kind of approving presence?

Folks do know there are at least two Hugh Syme album art books with lots of different interpretations and archive art. The guy made a lot of album art and it's nice to be able to have them.

Signals adds another bunch of artwork, a nice bonus.

But overall, an excellent anniversary pack. It is amazing, to me, to think that as a kid I never even considered the possibility of seeing it released with cool goodies and artwork forty years later. 

• Like 1

My comments here have nothing to do with Jag 2112's excellent posting of the material.   It's really cool that he takes the time to archive this stuff for the rest of us to enjoy.

But this release is just so under-thought.  Is the art and goodies nice? Yes.  

But where is that live material?  Also,not regular CD release ...whoich again would presume live material.

Not having the CD option pretty much invalidates keeping a collection of all the other 40th releases. What's the point?

Suck.

43 minutes ago, goose said:

1982.09.11-sounds-uk.jpg

Fierce, but fair?

I remember I felt pretty much the same way when I first heard Signals.  It eventually grew on me and I "get it" now, but it was not an easy first listen.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2023 at 8:38 PM, goose said:

1982.09.11-sounds-uk.jpg

Fierce, but fair?

You'd think the bass player from Genesis would have more sympathy for a band stretching out and progressing....

😉

Seems like a lot of people felt like that at the time.  Mourning the loss of a "rock" band for whatever they were becoming.  The review looks pretty silly now.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2023 at 1:38 AM, goose said:

1982.09.11-sounds-uk.jpg

Fierce, but fair?

🤔A tad harsh, but we have to remember back in ‘82 this was considered a Massive change in direction. 

• Like 2

Back in 82' everyone thought this album  would be a 3rd continuation of work similar to PeW and MP, and ESL in the mix .

Nobody expected nor was prepared  the change in direction that came out with Signals . IMO It was the biggest shift in gears they ever went through, and the defining moment of what yet to come . Along came  the haters , mixed fan base  reviews, and the other 40%-50% who knows that embraced it . All you had to do was listen to the 1st track  of Signals  which is certainly  in the top 3,5,or 10  of their entire library of songs  and that tells the story

After the dust settled about a year or so later everyone started to appreciate  the potential was endless for  what these guys create  and Signals was, and still is,  a great album. Another change in direction with GUP followed soon after in 84

I remember  back then in High school being a huge Rush Nutter - still am.) finding myself  defending the shit out of Signals and myself for being the die hard fan on a continuous basis  when all all your hard rockin buddies would say how good Rush used to be but this album is not like the others or  Rush's best albums are the older ones-they're done- What happened to your favorite band . ( Im sure some people here did the same.lol). For some reason it became personal  because I really  liked the album and the technical aspects of the music  especially starting out as a drummer back then .

The article above is way to harsh. I think most people were to harsh on this Signals topic back then. It was a lack of understanding of the material for the masses  maybe?

Signals is  and will always be top 3 for me,  and has amazing tracks-proven to be a bold move by the band to expand talents and ideas . A perfectly timed  follow up to their flagship album MP   .

In Signals, The Red Tamas rule- and another example of the stars aligning once again  in Morin Heights.