Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex

Papa Emeritus

6 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Every To the Bone song is on that, except To the Bone. I think Wilson said he didn't like how it sounded live, they just couldn't make it work.

and it's funny the title song is by far my least fav on there.  so i didn't miss it, lol

but Refuge live especially smokes.

Mick

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

and it's funny the title song is by far my least fav on there.  so i didn't miss it, lol

but Refuge live especially smokes.

Mick

I think it's pretty good. I listened to a good quality live version of it the other day and the vocals don't sound right, even though they are. Everyone is playing great but there seems to be a disconnect, like a timing thing or something that just isn't there, it's hard to pinpoint.

• Like 1

Even with the honeymoon period having worn off, this album still hits really hard for me. I like it much more than TTB and TFB, and I'm pretty sure I also like it more than Porcupine Tree's C/C.

It's a joy, and I think I'll be buying it as my first vinyl record.

On 11/16/2023 at 2:50 PM, That One Guy said:

Even with the honeymoon period having worn off, this album still hits really hard for me. I like it much more than TTB and TFB, and I'm pretty sure I also like it more than Porcupine Tree's C/C.

It's a joy, and I think I'll be buying it as my first vinyl record.

That is a big negative for me.....no way. 

It’s a good SW album......and I had initially thought he was going back to that Raven/HCE style when he released a couple of tracks before the release. But this is more a mash up of his last 3 albums......a tad too much electronica for my tastes on half the tracks. 

Solid...absolutely.....and far better than his last album which was a stinker. Still a distant 3rd for me to The Raven that Refused To Sing and Hand Cannot Erase. 

The new PT album smokes this. 

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Todem said:

That is a big negative for me.....no way. 

It’s a good SW album......and I had initially thought he was going back to that Raven/HCE style when he released a couple of tracks before the release. But this is more a mash up of his last 3 albums......a tad too much electronica for my tastes on half the tracks. 

Solid...absolutely.....and far better than his last album which was a sinker. Still a distant 3rd for me to The Raven that Refused To Sing and Hand Cannot Erase. 

The new PT album smokes this. 

i think i'm with you here.

Hand Cannot Erase is still my fav.

i'd go one step further on you both and say Even the best Steven solo albums have nothing on the best PT albums (think In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear and Lightbuld sun)

Mick

• Like 1

On 11/18/2023 at 4:33 PM, bluefox4000 said:

i think i'm with you here.

Hand Cannot Erase is still my fav.

i'd go one step further on you both and say Even the best Steven solo albums have nothing on the best PT albums (think In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear and Lightbuld sun)

Mick

I'll go one MORE step further, it's a heavy metal smorgasbord! 

• Like 1

The more electronic focused songs have grown on me the more I listen to the album front to back as a listening experience. 

Still.....ranks 3rd for his solo work.....but an audio feast on vinyl on a great system. 

Edited by Todem

I can’t see an Official PT thread.

So......the new live album from the C/C Tour is insane amazing. A sonic feast. Wow what a set list. 

• Like 2

On 10/2/2023 at 6:25 PM, Mr. Not said:

i think the last four tracks of this album are the strongest part, either time is running out or the title track might be favorite of the album

didn't top this "time is running out" though :P

I take this back, Steven's "Time is Running Out" is better.. Or at least, I think it probably is. It's not fair to compare these two songs since they're so different from one another :D

Time is Running Out is my favorite song from the album though, and probably the best song Steven's written (i'm counting C/C too here) since HCE

2 hours ago, Mr. Not said:

I take this back, Steven's "Time is Running Out" is better.. Or at least, I think it probably is. It's not fair to compare these two songs since they're so different from one another :D

Time is Running Out is my favorite song from the album though, and probably the best song Steven's written (i'm counting C/C too here) since HCE

I'm a huge sucker for the big production of Staircase. It's probably his best closer aside from Happy Returns