Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex

Papa Emeritus

Just now, Tony R said:

Yeah mine arrives tomorrow but I’m off on holiday before it will get posted. Downloaded hi - res version.

It’s going to sound fantastic in surround but it’ll be nearly two weeks before I can get back and listen to it on my system  

4 minutes ago, Tony R said:

I don’t know if he realises (or cares) but there’s quite a lot of almost note for note excerpts from all his solo albums and some from In Absentia and CC.

this is good news for me Tony.  i don't care if he tries new something or not i just want something to enjoy.  and i did not like the future Bites.  so again i'm ok with what you described.  now i'm kinda excited.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

this is good news for me Tony.  i don't care if he tries something or not i just want something to enjoy.  and i did not like the future Bites.  so again i'm ok with what you described.  now i'm kinda excited.

Mick

It’s almost like he wanted to fix The Future Bites. Still a lot of electronica but used far more cinematically in fact it’s obvious he’s pushing for a soundtrack opportunity.

• Like 2

Oh yea this already leaguges better than TFB.  maybe i'm hyping but no i hated TFB right off and it never got better, lol.  it uses elements of TFB but is actually more in line with Hand cannot Erase and PT to my ears.

Mick

So i finished it.  and i really enjoyed it.  it still very electronic but here it's used for texture and atmosphere instead of half assed pop tunes, lol.

it is much more PT adjacent.....as well as Hand cannot erase.  i hate to say but  feels a bit like he saw some backlash and added back in PT elements, lol  not complaining though I love how he uses guitar again.  there's no blistering solo but Acoustic and electric is all over this record.  As is some gorgeous piano playing.  and When the electronics DO show up it feels purposeful here......as opposed to gimmick-y on TFB.

on first listen i go 8/10 with a lot of room to grow

Mick

• Like 1

Based on what I heard about the back half of the album, I didn't fully expect to like it. I was very pleasantly surprised. First impression is certainly a strong one. I'm going to need to play this a few more times to digest it. It sounds like he's jammed elements across his career into one massive album.

17 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Based on what I heard about the back half of the album, I didn't fully expect to like it. I was very pleasantly surprised. First impression is certainly a strong one. I'm going to need to play this a few more times to digest it. It sounds like he's jammed elements across his career into one massive album.

i didn't like the back half as much as the first.  but this morning it's all clicking.

Beautiful Scarecrow

Time is running Out(fukkin'  fantastic)

and the final 2 songs Actual Brutal Facts and Staircase....2 great songs with dirty grooves.

This really is a complete album in every sense.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

7 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i didn't like the back half as much as the first.  but this morning it's all clicking.

Beautiful Scarecrow

Time is running Out(fukkin'  fantastic)

and the final 2 songs Actual Brutal Facts and Staircase....2 great songs with dirty grooves.

This really is a complete album in every sense.

Mick

His rapping on Actual Brutal Facts is the first time I've heard bars on a prog album since Roll The Bones

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

His rapping on Actual Brutal Facts is the first time I've heard bars on a prog album since Roll The Bones

Me and my wife literally just said that it reminded us of Roll The Bones. 

First impression is favorable.  It takes me a while to digest new music.  The fact it didn't repulse me like tFB did from the first full time through the album is already a sign this one is a keeper.  My Bluray is in the mailbox apparently.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2023 at 7:19 PM, bluefox4000 said:

Oh yea this already leaguges better than TFB.  maybe i'm hyping but no i hated TFB right off and it never got better, lol.  it uses elements of TFB but is actually more in line with Hand cannot Erase and PT to my ears.

Mick

Is TFB not heavy metal enough for you, or does it just expose your terrible dancing? :wave:

For you The Future Bites Biters: it IS the weakest SW album, but do I hate it? No. I'm not going to say it's a classic, I'm not even going to say it's good but to me it's not bad and there's some good stuff on there, and a few good songs. It's 6 out of 10 level to my ears. An alright album but yes the worst of the Wilsons.