Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex

Papa Emeritus

1 hour ago, Tony R said:

Hand.Cannot.Erase is way out in front as my favourite.  

It's the one album I never look down at my watch at any point.  Raven, as great as it was at release especially when factoring in expectations, is second place but there's quite a bit of gap.  Insurgentes actually isn't much behind Raven as one of my favorites, I like the variety.

To the Bone is fine.  People Who Eat Darkness is my favorite, though Pariah has grown on me.

• Like 1

Hand remains for me his most complete solo album.  for as Lauded as ravan is and i love it too.  There are moments in some of the the longer tracks that could use trimming.  Hand is just......there's not a wasted space on that record.

Mick

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stoopid said:

It's the one album I never look down at my watch at any point.  Raven, as great as it was at release especially when factoring in expectations, is second place but there's quite a bit of gap.  Insurgentes actually isn't much behind Raven as one of my favorites, I like the variety.

To the Bone is fine.  People Who Eat Darkness is my favorite, though Pariah has grown on me.

What about Grace For Drowning, that's my favourite, just?

On 9/30/2023 at 2:29 PM, bluefox4000 said:

Hand remains for me his most complete solo album.  for as Lauded as ravan is and i love it too.  There are moments in some of the the longer tracks that could use trimming.  Hand is just......there's not a wasted space on that record.

Mick

i definitely disagree but i respect it, i can give HCE the credit of it being his most coherent concept album. it's my fourth favorite solo album of his behind the first three. 

• Like 1

liked the album through the first listen. if i could get in Steven's head for a second, he's always been saying he's tired of guitar and wants to do more electronic / pop oriented music ever since the (or before) the PT hiatus, and he's approached it not only with Future Bites but also a lot of his other lesser known solo/side projects throughout the decades and it's obviously never worked too well. I think with this album he figured in order to please his audience he'd have to infuse his prog influences with the electronic, and it was really as simple a formula as that... and this is why it's finally good. 

Steven Wilson discography - Wikipedia

Edited by Mr. Not

16 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

liked the album through the first listen. if i could get in Steven's head for a second, he's always been saying he's tired of guitar and wants to do more electronic / pop oriented music ever since the (or before) the PT hiatus, and he's approached it not only with Future Bites but also a lot of his other lesser known solo/side projects throughout the decades and it's obviously never worked too well. I think with this album he figured in order to please his audience he'd have to infuse his prog influences with the electronic, and it was really as simple a formula as that... and this is why it's finally good. 

i knew the guitar would be back.  People for the most park were not pleased with TFB (though it does have fans) and he's always had electronic stuff even on guitar driven albums.  I just thought Nixing guitar was an awful idea on his part.

The harmony Codex Is a nice compromise and i find the record reallt Satisfying.

Love it.

Mick

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Not said:

i think the last four tracks of this album are the strongest part, either time is running out or the title track might be favorite of the album

didn't top this "time is running out" though :P

"Side 2" or tracks 6-10.  i found way more challenging than the first half to me and i loved that cause there was a lot sonically to dig deep in.

Side 1 was kinda the poppier side. save for the long instrumental, lol

And Time Is Running out is my fav.  it's so great.

Mick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Not said:

I'm looking to get that album with the Disco ball on the cover.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

"Side 2" or tracks 6-10.  i found way more challenging than the first half to me and i loved that cause there was a lot sonically to dig deep in.

Side 1 was kinda the poppier side. save for the long instrumental, lol

And Time Is Running out is my fav.  it's so great.

Mick

Would you say you're more of a hard pop fan or a soft rock fan?

Just now, treeduck said:

Would you say you're more of a hard pop fan or a soft rock fan?

for sure soft rock.

one of my fav periods is 70's soft rock.  i can and often do binge that stuff for days, lol

Mick

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

for sure soft rock.

one of my fav periods is 70's soft rock.  i can and often do binge that stuff for days, lol

Mick

Where does Steven Wilson fit in? Do you hear more pop or rock or ambient? Or even heavy metal?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Where does Steven Wilson fit in? Do you hear more pop or rock or ambient? Or even heavy metal?

Wilson i think is a mix.  i hear Pop, Rock, Prog, Prog/metal. 

BUT i really do think......having really dissected him the past month.  IMO at his heart he's a GREAT pop song writer.  Some will say WHAT!!!!!!!!

No i really even when   he's being prog.  EVERYTHING is rooted in pop-y hooks.

Permanating was basically ABBA, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

8 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

BUT i really do think......having really dissected him the past month.  IMO at his heart he's a GREAT pop song writer.  Some will say WHAT!!!!!!!!

Mick

Yeah I can agree with that.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Mick

That first 90s PorcTree album is loaded with pop hooks.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Tony R said:

Listened to the album in full blown Atmos with the book and the lyrics in front of me. Fantastic experience.

How do you rate the album compared to the others? And how do you rank all seven?

6 minutes ago, treeduck said:

How do you rate the album compared to the others? And how do you rank all seven?

Hand.Cannot.Erase is far and away the best, for me. Then I’d put Raven and Harmony Codex followed by GFD, To the Bone, Insurgentes and finally TFB. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tony R said:

Hand.Cannot.Erase is far and away the best, for me. Then I’d put Raven and Harmony Codex followed by GFD, To the Bone, Insurgentes and finally TFB. 

+1 exactly my list

I'd say Harmony and GFD are a close third, maybe tie. To The Bone isn't as far from #3/4 as Raven is from HCE.  All his releases fall in the 'very good' bucket, except tFB at the bottom and HCE at the top.  Both firmly earn their places.

• Like 1

1. Hand Cannot Erase

2. Harmony Codex

3. To the Bone

4. Raven

5. Insurgentes

6. Grace For Drowning

7. The future bites

I really LOVE the new album and i think it deserves it's spot but Hand still reigns for me.

And yes To the Bone HAS INDEED moved up for me i think it's great and unfairly maligned.

The future Bites Still does and you can malign that piece of Shit all you like.:laugh:

Mick

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/12/2023 at 9:38 PM, stoopid said:

+1 exactly my list

I'd say Harmony and GFD are a close third, maybe tie. To The Bone isn't as far from #3/4 as Raven is from HCE.  All his releases fall in the 'very good' bucket, except tFB at the bottom and HCE at the top.  Both firmly earn their places.

To The Bone came across better live. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

the stuff from To the Bone from the  home invasion dvd/blu ray....which was from that tour.......was awesome IMO.

Mick

Every To the Bone song is on that, except To the Bone. I think Wilson said he didn't like how it sounded live, they just couldn't make it work.