Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex

Papa Emeritus

33 minutes ago, treeduck said:

For you The Future Bites Biters: it IS the weakest SW album, but do I hate it? No. I'm not going to say it's a classic, I'm not even going to say it's good but to me it's not bad and there's some good stuff on there, and a few good songs. It's 6 out of 10 level to my ears. An alright album but yes the worst of the Wilsons.

what got me is the lack of guitar.  now i know he stated in advance it was going away but still HORRIBLE move.  I know mr Wilson likes to be all "oh you like guitar?  well i'm not doing that anymore" just because he can.  but in this case he shot himself because i think Guitar is part of his magic.  And i'd like to thinkhe realized his misstep because guitar is back immediately, lol

Plus i really have no problem with electronics and pop but the tunes on TFB are rather flimsy.

Just my opinion.

Mick

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 10:30 AM, Tony R said:

Yeah mine arrives tomorrow but I’m off on holiday before it will get posted. Downloaded hi - res version.

It’s going to sound fantastic in surround but it’ll be nearly two weeks before I can get back and listen to it. 

When aren't you "on holiday"? 

As with anything by him after the last couple of releases I'll have to listen to it first before I decide to buy it. Never did get the Biting Future and likely never will.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

what got me is the lack of guitar.  now i know he stated in advance it was going away but still HORRIBLE move.  I know mr Wilson likes to be all "oh you like guitar?  well i'm not doing that anymore" just because he can.  but in this case he shot himself because i think Guitar is part of his magic.  And i'd like to thinkhe realized his misstep because guitar is back immediately, lol

Plus i really have no problem with electronics and pop but the tunes on TFB are rather flimsy.

Just my opinion.

Mick

I'm quite curious as to what Porcupine Tree might do if they continue. It looks like the band was really proud of Walk the Plank and if they do another record, it may be more odd stuff like that. 

15 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

Just my opinion.

Mick

It could be the Hold Your Fire of the Wilson canon for you then? (Although Hold Your Fire is a top 10 RUSH album for me). There's a few parallels, not enough guitars, too much synths (electronics) some eyebrow raisers! :laugh:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, treeduck said:

I still don't understand the phrase "gaslighting", it makes me think of Judas Priest's The Ripper! "Underneath the gaslaaaaamp...where the air's cold and damp..."

According to Merrium-Webster

psychological manipulation of a person usually over an extended period of time that causes the victim to question the validity of their own thoughts, perception of reality, or memories and typically leads to confusion, loss of confidence and self-esteem, uncertainty of one's emotional or mental stability, and a dependency on the perpetrator

If people are secure in their thoughts and knowledge and self-esteem I don't see how they'd be susceptible to that.

Edited by BastillePark
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

According to Merrium-Webster

psychological manipulation of a person usually over an extended period of time that causes the victim to question the validity of their own thoughts, perception of reality, or memories and typically leads to confusion, loss of confidence and self-esteem, uncertainty of one's emotional or mental stability, and a dependency on the perpetrator

If people are secure in their thoughts and knowledge and self-esteem I don't see how they'd be susceptible to that.

Why did this not exist back in the day, the 70s, the 80s, the 90s and even 20 years ago? It seems like something created to fit an agenda.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BastillePark said:

It did exist but I don't think it had a name until some easily offended/weak minded person gave it one.

It's certainly a buzzword now, but it's a valid word for an abusive relationship. Some folks really manipulative their partner into half-truths. It also shares some qualities with negging.

"You said something terrible"
"I didn't say that. And if I did, I don't think you understood it"

• Like 2

I just want to point out that I'm about the same age as Steven Wilson. We were both born in 1967 but he's November 3 and I'm March 5. He'd have been the smart alec kid in the class below me if we'd gone to the same school. I'd have probably beat him up and said: "So you think you're a rock star do you?" And he'd have said..."Yeah, actually!"

• Haha 1

The new album is on my list after I stop digesting the amazing new Tesseract album but I wanted to offer my favorable opinion on The Future Bites compared to what I've read in here so far.

I like the electronica as long as there's an organic element to it. Some songs work pretty well like Personal Shopper, but once it goes too robot it starts to tank. This is why I love Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, one of the 2010s absolute best albums.

I like TFB more than To The Bone, aka Wilson goes full 80s.

Edited by The Analog Cub

21 hours ago, treeduck said:

Why did this not exist back in the day, the 70s, the 80s, the 90s and even 20 years ago? It seems like something created to fit an agenda.

Gaslight is a film from 1944, which is where the term originates.  :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslight_(1944_film)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Analog Cub said:

The new album is on my list after I stop digesting the amazing new Tesseract album but I wanted to offer my favorable opinion on The Future Bites compared to what I've read in here so far.

I like the electronica as long as there's an organic element to it. Some songs work pretty well like Personal Shopper, but once it goes too robot it starts to tank. This is why I love Daft Punk's Random Access Memories, one of the 2010s absolute best albums.

I like TFB more than To The Bone, aka Wilson goes full 80s.

i never had a problem with To the bonee....like at all.  does it match previous albums in greatness? no.  But i like it a DAMN sight better than the TFB......like TTB ALL day for me.

Nowhere Now

Pariah

Refuge

People Who Eat Darkness

Detonation

Song of Unborn

Sure Permanating is an ABBA knockoff but he likes ABBA so oh well i guess.

but i honestly don't get the HATRED to the Bone Gets when TFB is.....RIGHT THERE, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i never had a problem with To the bonee....like at all.  does it match previous albums in greatness? no.  But i like it a DAMN sight better than the TFB......like TTB ALL day for me.

Nowhere Now

Pariah

Refuge

People Who Eat Darkness

Detonation

Song of Unborn

Sure Permanating is an ABBA knockoff but he likes ABBA so oh well i guess.

but i honestly don't get the HATRED to the Bone Gets when TFB is.....RIGHT THERE, lol

Mick

When I first got To the Bone I wasn't sure but now it's right up there just behind Grace For Drowning, Raven and HCE, which are involved in a photo finish. TFB is dead last out of the photograph!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, treeduck said:

When I first got To the Bone I wasn't sure but now it's right up there just behind Grace For Drowning, Raven and HCE, which are involved in a photo finish. TFB is dead last out of the photograph!

yea i'm playing TTB now and even six years later i fail to see the problem.

and i really don't hear this as his "80's album"  Where did THAT come from?

play Affinity.....THAT'S 80's.

Mick

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

yea i'm playing TTB now and even six years later i fail to see the problem.

and i really don't hear this as his "80's album"  Where did THAT come from?

play Affinity.....THAT'S 80's.

Mick

How do you rate 4½?

2 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

i haven't played it in a long time but i'll play it soon and i'll tell you.

Mick

I think it's pretty good, better than It Bites and almost as long at 37 minutes.

How does Insurgentes fit in?