The Official 2023 NFL season thread

laughedatbytime

3 minutes ago, pjbear05 said:

Lions should have kicked the FG. Niners make this a 10 point lead, it's over.

Just like the Packers do, the Lions have short yardage for the 1st down, but they throw DEEP.....    :wtf:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pjbear05 said:

Lions should have kicked the FG. Niners make this a 10 point lead, it's over.

Points are hard to get, especially against the best teams on the biggest stage.  I seriously don't get what these coaches are thinking.

1 minute ago, Inthend said:

49ers the better team, congrats.

The better organization.   Same with KC.  Ravens are better, but I believe their culture holds them back.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, goose said:

Points are hard to get, especially against the best teams on the biggest stage.  I seriously don't get what these coaches are thinking.

They're playing Madden in their heads.  They're thinking analytics, statistical probabilities, blah blah blah.....  

They're not looking at their team AND the other team and how well/poorly they're playing right now, out on the field.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Principled Man said:

They're playing Madden in their heads.  They're thinking analytics, statistical probabilities, blah blah blah.....  

They're not looking at their team AND the other team and how well/poorly they're playing right now, out on the field.    

I understand going with analytics vs the Cardinals in week 2.  But vs the League's top ranked team in the NFC championship?  Nah.

• Like 1

Just now, invisible airwave said:

What the fork was Campbell thinking not going for the 3 pointer? :facepalm:

He was thinking exactly like Matt LaFleur was thinking when he went for it on 4th down instead of kicking a FG against the 49ers.  :confused:

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, goose said:

I understand going with analytics vs the Cardinals in week 2.  But vs the League's top ranked team in the NFC championship?  Nah.

Imo, the psychological effect of being in a tie game would have been the most important factor in choosing to kick FG. Puts less pressure on Lions defense and more on 49ers offense.

Edited by Inthend
  • Like 1

*sigh* welp there it is. 

alot of vitriol here against Campbell. Ok, so how many other teams were 3 points short of the superbowl this year? alot of criticism going for it on fourth downs. well that's how they got here.

fact: their kicker sucks from long distance. so there's no guarantee that he would make a couple 48 yarders. 

In the end, it's a players game. Players gotta catch the damn ball (reynolds). players gotta have ball security (gibbs). CBs can't whiff on interceptions. 

I thought at half time, it was still going to be close. 49ers are too good to roll over for an entire game. 

Lions still set up nice for next year with no critical free agents and $61m in cap space (to buy some CBs please). 

At least they didn't shit the bed like the Ravens.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, HemiBeers said:

*sigh* welp there it is. 

alot of vitriol here against Campbell. Ok, so how many other teams were 3 points short of the superbowl this year? alot of criticism going for it on fourth downs. well that's how they got here.

Against shitty teams.  Pass up three then lose by three, it's on the decision maker

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goose said:

The Lions coach was doing what he's been doing all year. IMO when you're in that situation you take the points regardless of what you've been doing all year but obviously he doesn't think that way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BastillePark said:

The Lions coach was doing what he's been doing all year. IMO when you're in that situation you take the points regardless of what you've been doing all year but obviously he doesn't think that way.

His post game interview was classy, and he accepts the scrutiny that comes with that kind of decision making.   I'm with you in terms of believing that playoffs are different and the better decision is to go for the points.

• Like 1

I guess we'll agree to disagree, but I'll toss out some more facts because I'm a numbers guy. 

Lions were 17 of 20 on fourth down and 3 yards or less this season. that's 85%

Career, Bagley is 77% from 40-49 and 38% from over 50. So at 47, 48 yards he is maybe 60%. If you noticed his PATs, they were pretty low. So I think his reasonable max on that field was 45 yards.  So closer than 45, yes you can bet on the FG. 

The last 4th down was abysmal execution. But the first one, Reynolds has to make the catch. He's better than that. 

OC Johnson going to head coach the Redskins  uhh Washington what's-their-name next year. That's a sentence to hell, but so be it. A lot of credit to him, but he got too cute at times.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Turbine Freight said:

Oh God, this means we're going to have to endure Taylor Swift at the Super Bowl. 

As if that t**t Mahomes and his family wasn't enough.

That's the best part.  Don't watch crybaby.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BastillePark said:

Why is she so triggering to [anyone]?

Swift doesn't bother me at all.  It's the media's obsessive coverage of her that bothers me. 

NFL football games should be about the players and what happens on the field - not about the celebrities who are in the audience. 

It reminds me of Laker games and Celebrity Row....what a bunch of hooey.....      

1 hour ago, Principled Man said:

Swift doesn't bother me at all.  It's the media's obsessive coverage of her that bothers me. 

NFL football games should be about the players and what happens on the field - not about the celebrities who are in the audience. 

It reminds me of Laker games and Celebrity Row....what a bunch of hooey.....      

She's on camera for about 30 seconds a game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mithrandir said:

She's on camera for about 30 seconds a game. 

It's the obsessive coverage during the week, before the game and after the game.  The press generates it, social media increases it....