Signals 40th Super Deluxe Edition Announced - but no live material?

OneZeroZero

On 4/13/2023 at 11:13 PM, Digital82 said:

"...People who used to be involved with packaging the 40th releases with live coverage are not part of the scene these days..."   "People" such as whom, exactly?

This might be the best explanation yet as to why there is no live material this time around.

I wonder if it is done or if GUP would be the last time (assuming there is a box set and that it has live material in it).

• Like 1

So my Signals Box is here, and while it's nicely put-together -- the 7" singles in particular -- it is very easy to conclude that this effort is inferior to the Moving Pictures box on nearly every level. The book has great art, but only the lyrics and production credits, with no insight or commentary on the album. The audio and visual extras are minimal. Soundwise, I'm having a very hard time discerning any difference from the Sector box remasters.

If you're into this for the vinyl, your mileage will likely vary. The sound here is going to be vastly superior to any prior vinyl release.

But boy, I hope they do a better job curating the GuP box next year......

On 4/28/2023 at 1:18 PM, Ron2112 said:

So my Signals Box is here, and while it's nicely put-together -- the 7" singles in particular -- it is very easy to conclude that this effort is inferior to the Moving Pictures box on nearly every level. The book has great art, but only the lyrics and production credits, with no insight or commentary on the album. The audio and visual extras are minimal. Soundwise, I'm having a very hard time discerning any difference from the Sector box remasters.

If you're into this for the vinyl, your mileage will likely vary. The sound here is going to be vastly superior to any prior vinyl release.

But boy, I hope they do a better job curating the GuP box next year......

Glad you like it. I'm ordering the Japanese stand alone CD for more than I want to pay and I'm hoping the mastering is the same and not a previous mastering.

The CD has been my level of investment for these 40's since 2112.

I received my Signals box set and listened to the 5.1 Blue Ray and what a difference experience the album is in 5.1.  It is pretty cool, not sure I preferer it to the regular album mix, but enjoyed it.   I do think if they offered the CD only, I would have went that route and like everyone would have loved a live CD from this tour.  

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 1:41 PM, Lurkst said:

I'm attending a Q&A with Broon & Hugh in a couple of weeks, I'll see if I can get some answers to feed back...

http://www.rushfestscotland.co.uk/

Anything yet to report? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lurkst said:

Nothing about the Signals 40th, but it was a great occasion :smile:

By chance, any discussions regarding the releasing of live material or the ownership(s) of Rush content?

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 9:27 PM, Bahamas said:

By chance, any discussions regarding the releasing of live material or the ownership(s) of Rush content?

Not that I heard. I did have quite a few beers though.

Was interesting to hear Terry say he's a big fan of the 80s albums that he didn't produce. 

Also that Geddy recorded YYZ using his brand new Steinberger bass :ohmy:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Also that Geddy recorded YYZ using his brand new Steinberger bass

That would make me wonder why he sat on it for that long and how exactly he managed to get one in the fall of 1980. 

I have a history of bass book I need to check, but there may not have been prototypes available then.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 78jazz said:

That would make me wonder why he sat on it for that long and how exactly he managed to get one in the fall of 1980. 

I have a history of bass book I need to check, but there may not have been prototypes available then.

According to Wikipedia they were first produced in 1979 (assisted by Gary Young from Pavement's dad, another tenuous link to Geddy).

• Like 1

My bass book mentions '79, so this was a piece of info I was aware of. What I forget is when prototypes were available.

I just checked The Bass Book by Tony Bacon and Barry Moorhouse. On page 52, it states that the bass was shows at a trade show in 1979. Steinberger tried to sell the design to other companies with no success, so he and 3 partners formed Steinberger Sound in December 1980. This company launched the bass at 2 large music trade shows in Frankfurt in 1981.

Because of this, I am not buying the idea that Geddy had a Steinberger while recording Moving Pictures. Given the audio recordings available from this, my guess is that he picked his up in January 1983. I could be wrong on this.

• Like 1

Interesting. I can only go by what Broon told us. Certainly by 83 he would have stopped working in the studio with Rush, so unless he's getting really mixed up Ged must have got hold of that bass before then.

I really struggle with the idea of Ged using the Steinberger on YYZ. It was my understanding that he got one for touring reasons, because the neck wouldn't get in the way of his mountain of synthesizers. Why would he have bought one in 1980 and then not used it live until the p/g tour? It just doesn't add up.

On 6/3/2023 at 4:24 PM, Lurkst said:

Not that I heard. I did have quite a few beers though.

Was interesting to hear Terry say he's a big fan of the 80s albums that he didn't produce. 

Also that Geddy recorded YYZ using his brand new Steinberger bass :ohmy:

Terry was mistaken.  Geddy did not use the Steinberger when recording YYZ

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Digital82 said:

Terry was mistaken.  Geddy did not use the Steinberger when recording YYZ

I've heard Ged say many times in interviews that he used the Rickey and #1 on MP. 

As for which one of those on YYZ?  who knows?