2023 College Basketball thread

laughedatbytime

9 minutes ago, laughedatbytime said:

This is going to be the worst case scenario, the Aztecs keep it close enough so that I  stay up for the whole game, but still lose, and tomorrow morning comes too early.

Got it down to five to placate the advertisers!

SD St could never win this.  It was up to UConn to lose it.  To their credit, they defended.

10 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

The FAU-SDSU game was Duke-Kentucky reincarnated on Saturday though.

Meh.....I am not convinced.  Lamont Butler didn't take a 3/4 court inbound pass, and he's definitely not hated by almost everyone (including his own teammates). 

Laettner's legacy remains unrivaled.  :wink:    

14 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Somewhat anti-climactic final game, as always, it seems.  The FAU-SDSU game was Duke-Kentucky reincarnated on Saturday though.

Another sign of how old I am:  I saw footage of the vandalism at UConn and muttered about "kids today."  :laugh:

I was a freshman at UConn in 1988 when we won the NIT. They started a bonfire in the Jungle quad and burned all of the dorm lounge furniture. The Jungle was eight individual dorms all connected by a one hallway, and each had a lounge. 

30 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

Somewhat anti-climactic final game, as always, it seems.  The FAU-SDSU game was Duke-Kentucky reincarnated on Saturday though.

Another sign of how old I am:  I saw footage of the vandalism at UConn and muttered about "kids today."  :laugh:

Meh, is there anything in the entire state of Connecticut that isn't ready to be replaced anyway?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Principled Man said:

Meh.....I am not convinced.  Lamont Butler didn't take a 3/4 court inbound pass, and he's definitely not hated by almost everyone (including his own teammates). 

Laettner's legacy remains unrivaled.  :wink:    

I never hated him.  Generally speaking, I root for colleges at which a player is unlikely to enter or leave without being able to read at grade level.  :smile:

12 minutes ago, Rick N. Backer said:

I never hated him.  Generally speaking, I root for colleges at which a player is unlikely to enter or leave without being able to read at grade level.  :smile:

Having grown up in Kentucky and been ritually infused with Big Blue Blood, I was indoctrinated to hate him. 

It's been 30 years, and I think I've come down to the "Dislike" level.  I'm making progress..... 

2 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Having grown up in Kentucky and been ritually infused with Big Blue Blood, I was indoctrinated to hate him. 

It's been 30 years, and I think I've come down to the "Dislike" level.  I'm making progress..... 

Nope. Even though Connecticut eventually beat Duke for the championship in 1999, and again in the Final 4 in 2004, on the way to their second one, the hatred is eternal. 

What's funny is that my wife, being from Tucson is a big Arizona fan. Last month their rival Arizona State beat them on a 60 foot buzzer beater. Now she hates Bobby Hurley too.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, edhunter said:

Nope. Even though Connecticut eventually beat Duke for the championship in 1999, and again in the Final 4 in 2004, on the way to their second one, the hatred is eternal. 

What's funny is that my wife, being from Tucson is a big Arizona fan. Last month their rival Arizona State beat them on a 60 foot buzzer beater. Now she hates Bobby Hurley too.

Kentucky avenged themselves against Duke in the '98 Elite Eight, but did that erase all the hatred of Laettner and Duke?  The jury is still out.....LOL

23 hours ago, edhunter said:

Good morning boys and girls! How did everybody sleep? It's a beautiful day here in New England!

I doubt the 16 people that ended up hospitalized or the business owners who had their buildings vandalized would think the same.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BastillePark said:

I doubt the 16 people that ended up hospitalized or the business owners who had their buildings vandalized would think the same.

Eh, it was a "mostly peaceful" celebration. None of the injuries were significant. They were all released.  No businesses were vandalized, Just a few broken windows on campus buildings, and they were all arrested. Thank goodness they were white, eh?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BastillePark said:

The numbers are out and that was the least watched final since they've been keeping track but that's not really surprising given the teams involved.

Perhaps it’s because of the lack of interest in women’s basketball that some of the best players try to attract attention to themselves.  Get the media attention when you can, because you will be forgotten very soon.  

3 hours ago, Principled Man said:

Perhaps it’s because of the lack of interest in women’s basketball that some of the best players try to attract attention to themselves.  Get the media attention when you can, because you will be forgotten very soon.  

The article I read was talking about the men but the same could be said for many of them.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 1:45 PM, Principled Man said:

Quitter!

• Haha 1