Albums You've Listened To Today, V.9

The Cat 3

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

i actually agree if we're talking recent Muse but i love black holes.  i actually find it their least souless.

Mick

I can see the case for post BH&R being soulless, but to me all of those first four have loads of it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, custom55 said:

I just read that the Zep song Jimmy dislikes the most is Living Loving Maid  ( She's Just A Woman ) off II.

Listening to LZ II this morning.

53599968360_e06f5ed160_z.jpg

It’s a damn shame, because that’s a top 5 Zeppelin song for me

• Like 1

Worked from home today so that gave me another chance to open the moving box up again.  First vinyl out was:

Journey - Frontiers

This is where I feel it started to go wrong with Journey.  The album before this one (Escape) is, IMO, their best album.  This took a step back.  The creative cracks are starting to show as Neil Schon & Steve Perry wanted to go in different creative directions.  I shows even before you listen to the album.  Take a look at the cover art.  The story I have heard is that they had a huge fight over the title of the album and the artwork.  If you look at Journey's prior albums they had one work titles and artwork that is full of bright colors.  Steve Perry did not want that.  In the end (so the story I heard goes) they compromised.  Neil got the title but Perry got creative controls over the artwork.  He got the dark colors he wanted vs. the vibrant colors Neil wanted.  IMO its a big step in the wrong direction.  The next album is the very poor Raised on Radio and their Steve got the title he wanted and controls over the artwork (plus basically he got a lot more control over the music and almost drove the band into a ditch).

Although they were headed in the wrong direction the album still has 3 excellent songs (Separate Ways, Send Her My Love & Faithfully).  Plus their were 2 deep cuts that were plenary surprises for me (Edge of the Blade  Troubled Child).  Not great but ok songs.  The rest did not do much for me.  Still, those 5 good songs are enjoyable.  Next album out of the box:

Jefferson Starship -Winds of Change

First off, excellent cover art.  This is why I prefer vinyl - I can appreciate the art which I can't do as much with a CD.  As for the album, it has the excellent "Can't Find Love".  The rest of it is filler though.  Next out of the box:

Eddie Money - No Control

This is 2 very good songs ("Shakin" & "Think I'm In Love").  Of the 2, I prefer "Think I'm In Love" but I enjoy both.  There were a few other decent deep cuts ("Hard Life", "Passing By The Graveyard", & "It Could Happen To You").  The rest is filler IMO.  Next out of the box:

Boston - Third Stage

I remember when this came out.  A bunch of us were at college & just hanging out, listening to the radio, drinking a few brews and talking.  A song finished playing and the DJ goes "That was the new song from Boston that is the first single from their album thats being released next week."  Their was utter chaos in the room.  Jaws hit the floor, beer bottles were knocked over, people where going "New Boston?!  Did he say new Boston?!  OMG!!  I can't believe it!!  This is incredible!!!  I can't believe it!!"  It was crazy.  

Anyway, the album has a number of songs I still like a lot ("Amanda", "We're Ready", "Cool the Engines", & "Can'tcha Say (You Believe in Me)").  The rest are ok.  Not like their first album but its still enjoyable.  Plus good cover art.  Next out of the box:

Dokken - Under Lock and Key.

Its no Tooth and Nail (the album which preceded it).  That I never skip a song on and its just amazing.  This was a step back but it still very good.  Loaded with some strong songs like "Unchain The Night", "The Hunter", "In My Dreams", "It's Not Love", "Don't Lie To Me".  A few other decent songs but it also has some clunkers I always skip like "Lightin' Strikes Again" & "Till The Livin End".  I alway skip them.  This time I listened and it reminded me why I skip them. Last out of the box:

Triumph - Just a Game

This is old.  The album mentions that its also available on 8 track.  The art is nothing special but when you open up the album you get the game inside.  Thats awesome & will get back to it in a minute.  As for the music its has the awesome "Hold On" & the equally awesome "Lay it on the Line".  The other songs are good as well.

That brings me to the game.  Rules - just a single die and any number of players.  There are all kind of blank squares you can land on plus a few that have stars on them.  Then their are some with results if you land on them as a result of you dice roll.  The goes is to be the first to the final star.  But its the squares with results that are so funny.  The results include:

"Start - From the basement or Garage:

"Take a bank loan and start a band - miss a turn"

"Amp blows up at important gig - Miss a turn"

"You blow away a headliner - cut across" (allows the player to skip a bunch a spaces)

"Internal ego hassles - roll a 4 or start again"

"You buy a new P.A. Wholesale - roll again"

"Visit from Musicians union rep.  Miss 1 turn"

"First Single Released.  Take another turn."

"Good music.  No gimics, no promos.  Mis a turn"

"Hit Single - Cur across"

"Groupies think you cute!  Cut across"

"Opening Act blows You Off the Stage - Go back 4 squares."

"Bad Reviews!  Great publicity!  Roll again"

"Good Reviews!  Who cares?  Miss a tuen."

"You Get your bank manager laid.  Advance to the nearest star!"

"Drug Addiction - Rolla 3 to be free"

"Sex Scandal!  Front page Coverage!  Roll Again!"

I love this - they just don't make albums like this anymore.

Edited by TheAccountant
  • Like 2

Paradise Lost-Believe In Nothing (6/10)

This is my least fav and closest to a bad album they came.....actually it's mid.  and that's a worst sin to me.

I even played the remix and the mix to me was never the issue.  it's the album.  it's dull as dishwater. And coming after the brilliant Host.  no bueno.

i honestly don't think i'll play this again.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Paradise Lost-Symbol of Life (9/10)

Much better album.  Sounds pretty similar to Lacuna Coil's Comalies actually.

Catchy a lot on the poppy side but i love it.

This style was brought over to the Next album too.

Mick

On 3/20/2024 at 7:06 PM, bluefox4000 said:

i actually agree if we're talking recent Muse but i love black holes.  i actually find it their least souless.

Mick

It's definitely a brilliant work. I wish WISH I connected more with them. But hey, it happens

• Like 2

Saxon- Hell, Fire And Damnation 

My album of the year so far. I can't stop playing it!

• Like 2

U2 - All That You Can’t Leave Behind

Proof that’s it’s a fine line between transcendence and mundanity. Not one U2 walk very well. 

• Like 2

Pearl Jam- Lightning Bolt 

This is just a fantastic album. Currently in my top three PJ albums.

• Like 3

I’ve had a lot of time in the car, and a good amount of downtime at home to spin records. I just got back from a concert, and I have several more coming up, so I’m getting ready for those as. Some of the EPs are also really short.

Monday - Thursday:

Fall Out Boy - Folie Á Deux

Fall Out Boy - My Heart Will Always Be The B-Side To My Tongue (EP)

Between You & Me - Armageddon (Vinyl)

Carly Cosgrove - See You In Chemistry (Vinyl)

Carly Cosgrove - The Whole Enchilada (Vinyl)

Stone Temple Pilots - Purple (Vinyl)

Fall Out Boy - Save Rock And Roll

Fall Out Boy - Pax AM Days (EP)

Fall Out Boy - American Beauty/American Psycho

Fall Out Boy - Mania

Fall Out Boy - Lake Effect Kid (EP)

Fall Out Boy - So Much (For) Stardust

Magazine Beach - Friendless Summer (EP)

Magazine Beach - Constant Springtime

Origami Angel - Quiet Hours (EP)

Origami Angel - Doing The Most (EP)

Origami Angel/Commander Salamander - Holy Split (EP)

Origami Angel - Gen 3 (EP)

Origami Angel - Somewhere City

Origami Angel - Gami Gang

Origami Angel - re: turn (EP)

Origami Angel - DEPART (EP)

Origami Angel - The Brightest Days

Edited by Super25Smasher
  • Like 1