Is It Me, Or Is Coffee Lately Weak Crap?

pjbear05

There's a regional brew here in New York state called Death Wish Coffee. I'm not sure I would drink it every day but I have had it on days when I feel like I will need an extra jolt. I think it's pretty strong. Not sure if they deliver out of state though.

There's a regional brew here in New York state called Death Wish Coffee. I'm not sure I would drink it every day but I have had it on days when I feel like I will need an extra jolt. I think it's pretty strong. Not sure if they deliver out of state though.

A number of the Cuban restaurants here have a walk up counter where you can get a cup, usually Cafe Cubano-a small shot of sweetend Cuban espresso, jokingly referred to as liquid speed. The stands do a booming business in the morning, and around 2:30 in the afternoon.
  • Like 1

having

A number of the Cuban restaurants here have a walk up counter where you can get a cup, usually Cafe Cubano-a small shot of sweetend Cuban espresso, jokingly referred to as liquid speed. The stands do a booming business in the morning, and around 2:30 in the afternoon.

During my time in Italy I really enjoyed having those little espresso shots throughout the day. Just enough of a boost. I also really like the cafe con leche served in the hispanic breakfast tradition. In the hotel breakfast room, waitresses walk around with two pitchers, one of hot milk and the other with fresh espresso and they pour it into your cup.

I live in the land of copious coffee stands. An average corner in Bellingham will have a drive thru espresso stand, cannabis store, and a microbrewery. I used to like getting a peanut butter mocha, but I got tired of the sugar sometime ago. I buy a coffee from Red Brick called Rocket Java. I get it at Winco. It's a nice dark coffee without being too bitter. I use a standard Black and Decker coffee maker. No fuss, no problem.

I live in the land of copious coffee stands. An average corner in Bellingham will have a drive thru espresso stand, cannabis store, and a microbrewery. I used to like getting a peanut butter mocha, but I got tired of the sugar sometime ago. I buy a coffee from Red Brick called Rocket Java. I get it at Winco. It's a nice dark coffee without being too bitter. I use a standard Black and Decker coffee maker. No fuss, no problem.

I'm a Rocket Java guy too! Have a B&D coffee maker as well. My one big thing is that the beans should be ground just before brewing. Much better flavor.

• Like 1

I'm a Rocket Java guy too! Have a B&D coffee maker as well. My one big thing is that the beans should be ground just before brewing. Much better flavor.

Funny, I just noticed you're from Washington also...

I've never had fresh ground Rocket Java, maybe I should try it.

Get or import some Greek/Turkish coffee - that will sort you out!!

It's my go-to when I REALLY want to keep awake.

Nice taste too.

Greek/Turkish is great if you don't mind the "mud" in the bottom of the cup.

Also, I understand "GI coffee", given to soldiers in the field, is doctored, containing triple amount amount of caffeine.

Buy your own grinder. They're relatively inexpensive and you'll love your coffee even more.

Buy your own grinder. They're relatively inexpensive and you'll love your coffee even more.

Yeah, I guess I'll have to buy a new one. I used to grind my coffee years ago, but I sullied the machine for grinding spices.

Jumped into Trader Joe's yesterday, grabbed a bag of Joe's Dark blend ground. Fairly decent, but I think I need to add less water to get it perfect. Also picked up some of their French Roast in whole bean.

On 2/9/2022 at 11:34 AM, pjbear05 said:

Jumped into Trader Joe's yesterday, grabbed a bag of Joe's Dark blend ground. Fairly decent, but I think I need to add less water to get it perfect. Also picked up some of their French Roast in whole bean.

https://www.tastingtable.com/1151303/trader-joes-coffee-varieties-ranked-worst-to-best/

When I first started getting into grinding beans and using a french press, Trader Joe's Bolivian blend was my go-to. It's been several years since I've bought a can, but it's interesting to see it ranked so low on that list. I used to really enjoy it, but now maybe I'd hate it. The more you upgrade to the higher end of food and drink, the more your taste evolves.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

https://www.tastingtable.com/1151303/trader-joes-coffee-varieties-ranked-worst-to-best/

When I first started getting into grinding beans and using a french press, Trader Joe's Bolivian blend was my go-to. It's been several years since I've bought a can, but it's interesting to see it ranked so low on that list. I used to really enjoy it, but now maybe I'd hate it. The more you upgrade to the higher end of food and drink, the more your taste evolves.

My wife and I grind the beans and use a french press.  So much more flavor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liquidcrystalcompass said:

My wife and I grind the beans and use a french press.  So much more flavor.

Coffee is like beer. Some people just want a cup o' joe or a cold beer and aren't too picky about it. And there's nothing wrong with that. But some people want to up their game.

Grinding the coffee beans yourself is the thing. Coffee goes stale very soon after grinding, like a minute later, so when you buy pre-ground coffee -- even if they vacuum seal it immediately after grinding -- you're buying stale coffee. Keurig pods are the worst, they all taste like burnt garbage.

36 minutes ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Coffee is like beer. Some people just want a cup o' joe or a cold beer and aren't too picky about it. And there's nothing wrong with that. But some people want to up their game.

Grinding the coffee beans yourself is the thing. Coffee goes stale very soon after grinding, like a minute later, so when you buy pre-ground coffee -- even if they vacuum seal it immediately after grinding -- you're buying stale coffee. Keurig pods are the worst, they all taste like burnt garbage.

When you grind it and immediately steep the coffee beans, you get a more bold coffee flavor with, dare I say, a little sweetness.

• Like 1