Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Dream Theater-Awake (7/10)

i know this considered a holy DT album. However like Distance. this has never clicked fully with me.

in fact i kinda don't like the first 3 songs on here. well that's not totally fair. I HATE 6:00 and have always hated it. Caught in a web and Innocence Faded are both ok,

The mini suite from Erotomania to the Silet Man is kick ass and i wouldn't have minded if the album started with the suite.

love The Mirror and Lie.......than we falter a bit with Lifting Shadows. i Love parts of Scarred but it kinda meanders.

Space-Dyed Vest is my one of my favs. very Floyd like.

so yea 7/10. much like Distance very uneven album for me.

Mick

It's my absolute favorite, lol. But I get where you're coming from; your highlights are the same as mine. I just like the valleys more as well.

It's my fave too. Weirdly, a bit nervous to say this, Distance Over Time may be my second

that's ok. but it is telling that you seem to like a certain vibe in DT i clearly don't.

cause weirdly i think distance and awake are siblings. i get a similar vibe.

Mick

• Like 1

Was Ihttp://superdeluxeedition.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/benefit_spread_1500.jpg

Was happy to finally see a book edition of this album. Likely makes my previous copy of the Deluxe Edition reduntant, but I like collecting these "book" version. Regret I didn't buy the "Stand Up" book but I had just purchase the previous deluxe version and the RSD Carnegie Hall vinyl, so I felt I was getting bled a bit. Now they go for incomprehensible prices.

While the SQ of this 50th Anniversary Edition seems to be exactly like the previous Deluxe version, it does include the Tanglewood concert audio and video and the Chicago Aragon show on audio in upgraded form, so well worth the $50 price

• Like 2

Garth Brooks- No Fences (8/10)

Opeth- Ghost Reveries (10/10)

Mastodon- Hushed And Grim (10/10)

Mariah Carey- Daydream (9/10)

Was Ihttp://superdeluxeedition.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/benefit_spread_1500.jpg

Was happy to finally see a book edition of this album. Likely makes my previous copy of the Deluxe Edition reduntant, but I like collecting these "book" version. Regret I didn't buy the "Stand Up" book but I had just purchase the previous deluxe version and the RSD Carnegie Hall vinyl, so I felt I was getting bled a bit. Now they go for incomprehensible prices.

While the SQ of this 50th Anniversary Edition seems to be exactly like the previous Deluxe version, it does include the Tanglewood concert audio and video and the Chicago Aragon show on audio in upgraded form, so well worth the $50 price

I have this too. Overall I only have four of the book editions. I picked up all the single disc Steven Wilson mixes but I missed most of the boxes.

• Like 1

Rush - 2112

Thin Lizzy - Black Rose: A Rock Legend

Weezer - Van Weezer

Olivia Rodrigo - Sour

Twenty-One Pilots - Scaled And Icy

Love all of these.

• Like 3

Rush - 2112

Weezer - Van Weezer

Olivia Rodrigo - Sour

Love all of these.

I love the first four. I'm not a big fan of TOP though. They've just never clicked with me.
  • Like 1

Since Monday:

Silverstein - A Shipwreck In The Sand

Silverstein - Rescue

Silverstein - Short Songs

Silverstein - This Is How The Wind Shifts: Addendum

Silverstein - I Am Alive In Everything I Touch

I absolutely love this band, and I can't wait to see them live again next month.

Rush - 2112

Weezer - Van Weezer

Olivia Rodrigo - Sour

Love all of these.

I love the first four. I'm not a big fan of TOP though. They've just never clicked with me.

I didn't like them at all at first. Back when Blurryface came out. I was a senior in high school, and ironically, I couldn't understand why anyone would want to listen to songs telling you how you're stressed out and life sucks with a very very poppy aesthetic... but then college hit, and it started making sense. The other thing that happened was my sisters got into them, so I decided to give them another shot, and I found that Vessel and Blurryface were both pretty interesting albums, just using pop sound effects almost to sneak much more complicated musical ideas onto the radio and pretty vivid lyrics about mental health too. Then Trench came out and I just loved it, they went totally Pink Floyd and their production value shot up to 11. The songs weren't all as catchy, but the album took you on a psychological journey the way The Wall or Tommy does (or more recently To Pimp A Butterfly and I'd argue Blackstar as well). From that point on I've pretty much been all in on 21P. Their newest album is pure indie pop goodness, sticky melodies, catchy beats, uplifting sounds, and clocking in under 50 minutes (I think that's a first for them). If you have any taste for Phoenix circa Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix I might recommend it.

But yes those other four are all excellent!!!

• Like 1

Rush - 2112

Weezer - Van Weezer

Olivia Rodrigo - Sour

Love all of these.

I didn't like them at all at first. Back when Blurryface came out. I was a senior in high school, and ironically, I couldn't understand why anyone would want to listen to songs telling you how you're stressed out and life sucks with a very very poppy aesthetic... but then college hit, and it started making sense. The other thing that happened was my sisters got into them, so I decided to give them another shot, and I found that Vessel and Blurryface were both pretty interesting albums, just using pop sound effects almost to sneak much more complicated musical ideas onto the radio and pretty vivid lyrics about mental health too. Then Trench came out and I just loved it, they went totally Pink Floyd and their production value shot up to 11. The songs weren't all as catchy, but the album took you on a psychological journey the way The Wall or Tommy does (or more recently To Pimp A Butterfly and I'd argue Blackstar as well). From that point on I've pretty much been all in on 21P. Their newest album is pure indie pop goodness, sticky melodies, catchy beats, uplifting sounds, and clocking in under 50 minutes (I think that's a first for them). If you have any taste for Phoenix circa Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix I might recommend it.

I do like Phoenix. I think a big problem I had was that several of their singles were horribly overplayed. So many people around my age obsessed over them, and almost worshipped them.
  • Like 1

Rush - 2112

Weezer - Van Weezer

Olivia Rodrigo - Sour

Love all of these.

I do like Phoenix. I think a big problem I had was that several of their singles were horribly overplayed. So many people around my age obsessed over them, and almost worshipped them.

That was a big turn off for me too. Like, it's just a band.

"please don't put your life in the hands, of a rock and roll band"

• Like 1

Rush - 2112

Weezer - Van Weezer

Olivia Rodrigo - Sour

Love all of these.

That was a big turn off for me too. Like, it's just a band.

"please don't put your life in the hands, of a rock and roll band"

It was almost scary. I had never seen that kind of obsession with a musical group before, and I wouldn't see it again until K-Pop blew up

• The topic was locked