Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

^^^ Nice 4-album run!

Which one is tops?

I think "Rubber Soul" is the best of the four, but "Magical Mystery Tour" is my favourite of the lot.

It's loaded with great songs.
  • Like 1

Mastodon- Hushed And Grim (10/10)

I'm going through a bit of a Mastodon renaissance at the moment. Loved them to death in my teens, but like Maiden, Trivium and Paradise Lost, for a while I was turned off them and they became, for me, a bit of an afterthought in my memories.

But like those above bands, tastes have come full circle and they are once again a major part of my music listening (coincidentally, around the same time as Avenged Sevenfold, who I also forgot about).

At 31, my most played bands at the moment look remarkably similar to those of my teens. I could still be 14, judging my music listening:

Mastodon

Biffy Clyro

Trivium

Avenged Sevenfold

Paradise Lost

Iron Maiden

The Killers

Killswitch Engage

The new Mastodon album is beautiful. I have seen a few negative reviews, which is fair, but overall for me this might be their best work since Crack The Skye. Two discs of beautiful music. Not just "metal", but "music". Even though I didn't really like their last album, Emperor Of Sand, and the two albums prior to that took me YEARS to come around too, I can confidently say I am once again a full fledged Mastodon fan. Every song on this album is terrific, I can see some fans liking some more than others, and yes I have my favourite songs and least favourite, but overall this is the Mastodon I love and admire so much. The best album by them in a long, long time. Also, the cover art is BEAUTIFUL!

Fun Fact! No Mastodon, and I likely never would have given Rush a chance. I remember Rush being a topic of conversation with Mastodon fans, AND the band members for years. I saw the drummer hail Moving Pictures as one of his most influential albums, I bought it, and the rest is history.

I know this was lengthy but DAMN I have wanted this feeling from new Mastodon for years. Like I said, the last four albums have all grown on me (well, maybe not Emperor Of Sand), but this is the first time since Blood Mountain I've felt EXCITED by a new album. And that was fifteen years ago.

...now I need the same to happen to one time heroes of mine, Opeth.

• Like 1

Mastodon- Hushed And Grim (10/10)

I'm going through a bit of a Mastodon renaissance at the moment. Loved them to death in my teens, but like Maiden, Trivium and Paradise Lost, for a while I was turned off them and they became, for me, a bit of an afterthought in my memories.

But like those above bands, tastes have come full circle and they are once again a major part of my music listening (coincidentally, around the same time as Avenged Sevenfold, who I also forgot about).

At 31, my most played bands at the moment look remarkably similar to those of my teens. I could still be 14, judging my music listening:

Mastodon

Biffy Clyro

Trivium

Avenged Sevenfold

Paradise Lost

Iron Maiden

The Killers

Killswitch Engage

The new Mastodon album is beautiful. I have seen a few negative reviews, which is fair, but overall for me this might be their best work since Crack The Skye. Two discs of beautiful music. Not just "metal", but "music". Even though I didn't really like their last album, Emperor Of Sand, and the two albums prior to that took me YEARS to come around too, I can confidently say I am once again a full fledged Mastodon fan. Every song on this album is terrific, I can see some fans liking some more than others, and yes I have my favourite songs and least favourite, but overall this is the Mastodon I love and admire so much. The best album by them in a long, long time. Also, the cover art is BEAUTIFUL!

Fun Fact! No Mastodon, and I likely never would have given Rush a chance. I remember Rush being a topic of conversation with Mastodon fans, AND the band members for years. I saw the drummer hail Moving Pictures as one of his most influential albums, I bought it, and the rest is history.

I know this was lengthy but DAMN I have wanted this feeling from new Mastodon for years. Like I said, the last four albums have all grown on me (well, maybe not Emperor Of Sand), but this is the first time since Blood Mountain I've felt EXCITED by a new album. And that was fifteen years ago.

...now I need the same to happen to one time heroes of mine, Opeth.

It is a fine album. I like it a lot!!

• The topic was locked