Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Rush - Grace Under Pressure

Side one is loaded.  An absolute classic in Distant Early Warning and 3 songs (Afterimage, Red Sector A & The Enemy Within) that if they are not classics, they are almost at that elite level.  All 3 are tremendous.

Side 2 is a bit weaker.  The Body Electric, Kid Glaves & Red Lenses are good, solid songs that I like but not like the songs on side 1.  Not even close.  Then you get Between The Wheels.  That was a song I did not care for at all for a long time.  Then I saw them perform it on the R30 tour and it blew me away.  Now I love it.  If its not a classic then it is also almost at that elite level.

One heck of an album.  The amazing thing is that is it not one of my top 6 Rush albums.  Its likely somewhere between 7 and 14 (likely closer to 7 then 14).  Thats how deep & good Rush's catalog is.  One of these days I will have to sit down and actually rank the Rush albums - that will be an interesting thing to do.  I know how I would rank them its just a matter of getting the time to do it and figure out exactly what album is where. 

Edited by TheAccountant
corrected spelling error
  • Like 5

Rush - Signals

Its got my second favorite Rush song (Subdivisions), another all time classic (New World Man), several near classics (The Analog Kid, Losing It  & Countdown, although Countdown is defiantly weaker then the other 2 songs I mentioned) plus some other good songs.  Quite an album!!

• Like 8

Bryan Adams - Cuts Like A Knife.

That take you back to the early 80's?  Been a long time since I listened to it but it was the next album out of the box tonight.  Side 1 (The Only One, Take Me Back, This Time, Straight From The Heart & Cuts Like a Knife) is as enjoyable as I remembered.  Esp. This Time and Cuts Like a Knife - ahh, to be 17 again (that how old I was when the album came out).  Side 2 is actually better then I remembered - but is no where as good as side 1.  That I remembered correctly.

• Like 5

Lamb Of God- Ashes Of The Wake 

This is a phenomenal album. The fact it ranks for me quite low on the list of their work from best to worst is meaningless, it's a monster of an album and I agree wholeheartedly with its status as a modern classic. It's also the most "metalcore" of all their albums. Definitely thrashier and more grooveladen than the bands that predominantly made up the scene back then, but fans of Killswitch Engage, Trivium, Shadows Fall (my next band to marathon and explore) could easily start here (and honestly? It's the perfect starting place!).

Lamb Of God hit the spot for me this year. I have always loved them, but 2022 saw them regain a foothold in my affections. I'm glad because the new album proved that they are no nostalgia act. 

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

ZZ Top- Eliminator 

Makes me wanna shoot a bitch in the f***ing face RAAAWR 

Jokes this is not metal. I love this band. Mick not liking them is what makes me wanna actually shoot a bitch in the f***ing face MEEP MEEP!

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

ZZ Top- Eliminator 

Makes me wanna shoot a bitch in the f***ing face RAAAWR 

Jokes this is not metal. I love this band. Mick not liking them is what makes me wanna actually shoot a bitch in the f***ing face MEEP MEEP!

Of all the heavy and loud metal shows I've been to, Billy Gibbons live guitar sound is one of the heaviest and loudest I have ever heard at a concert. The sound literally fills the air and completely consumes it. You're pretty much breathing in the sound of his guitar instead of air.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Of all the heavy and loud metal shows I've been to, Billy Gibbons live guitar sound is one of the heaviest and loudest I have ever heard at a concert. The sound literally fills the air and completely consumes it. You're pretty much breathing in the sound of his guitar instead of air.

Doesn't surprise me, the way the guitar is mixed on studio records is superior to most metal bands anyway. 

• Like 3

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

Started one of ZZ's albums....does it matter which?

Meh?:confused:

shut it off.

Now

Pain of Salvation-The Perfect Element (9/10)

Mick

Pain Of Salvation are weird. I love their albums or I despise them out of boredom. No in between. This is my favourite 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

Pain Of Salvation are weird. I love their albums or I despise them out of boredom. No in between. This is my favourite 

i love their first 4 equally.  after that....not the same for me.  Kinda shifted style and i do not like it.

Mick

Just now, bluefox4000 said:

i love their first 4 equally.  after that....not the same for me.  Kinda shifted style and i do not like it.

Mick

I have a five album box set. Not sure where it is, I bought it because the price was cheaper than TPE by itself. Maybe it's time to find it and dive in! They helped me get into DT. 

Just now, Segue Myles said:

I have a five album box set. Not sure where it is, I bought it because the price was cheaper than TPE by itself. Maybe it's time to find it and dive in! They helped me get into DT. 

thing is their so melodramatic if your not really in the mood your gonna hate it.  it's very theatrical so i always like it, lol.

Mick

1 minute ago, bluefox4000 said:

thing is their so melodramatic if your not really in the mood your gonna hate it.  it's very theatrical so i always like it, lol.

Mick

Definitely love theatric metal. Sometimes though it can be overwrought. Get the balance right, like The Perfect Element, and you have an album for the ages.

Look at Dream Theater. You have Scenes on one hand, and The Astonishing on the other.

• Like 1

Rush - Presto

All these albums I have been listing to are vinyl, pulled out of the box as I slowly unpack.  When I get back to the CD's I will so mention it.

Not a bad song on this album.  In fact, I would say every strong is very strong with 2 near classics (Presto & The Pass).  

One thing I always really like about Rush is that they were masters at getting their albums to fit together.  In other words, they were great at placing their songs so that the album flowed and so that even if their is a weaker song they often fit in and pulled you into it and through to the next song - as opposed to skipping it.  Many other groups just can't do this.  It can turn a good album into a great album and a great into a classic.  It can also make an album that is full of very good songs better than an album that has a bunch of great songs that don't flow together.  I am not saying a concept album, just talking about an album that mesh's together.  One of the reasons why I like The Warning.  They seem to have this ability.  Some bands do, some don't.  

Rush nailed the flow on this album.  Consequently this album (for me) is even better than the sum of its parts - and those parts are awesome.

Plus Neils lyrics!!  Its the 3'rd straight album where I can say Neil was on absolute fire.  This HYF & power Windows just are poetry set to music.  Every song is above average (scary thought).  I never skip a song on any of these 3 albums.  Would hate to have to rank Rush's songs (but might try that some day).   That being said, every song on this album (with the 2 songs I specifically mentioned) would be in contention for a ranking spot between 25 - 50.  Problem is, so would every song on HYF (expect Time Stand Still - thats #3 for me) and basically everything on Power Windows.  Plus a ton of other Rush songs.  As a matter of math something would get bumped down.  Thats how many awesome songs Rush has.

Obviously I like this album - and its only my 5th ranked Rush album!!!  It stuck behind 2112, Power Windows, HYF, FBN and just ahead of AFTK's.

• Like 3

Anthrax- Fistful Of Metal 

This was always my favourite Anthrax. I guess it's hard to do classic thrash wrong. So my journey into their discography re-begins! 

A safe start, I love this sound and style.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked