Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Anthrax- Among The Living 

Okay I really deserve some sleep. But erm...what is this? 

Oh yes, it's addictive. That would be the one.

Is the man on the cover the creepy dude from the Phantasm films?

• Like 2

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

Sounds like me 30 years ago 😄

If you do play Among The Living, sleep probably won't come.

I saw this after I started playing it.

This. Is. Everything.

Okay so Anthrax and me are besties.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

Sounds like me 30 years ago 😄

If you do play Among The Living, sleep probably won't come.

Yeah, he'll be too busy trying to figure out what NFL stands for.... lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Yeah, he'll be too busy trying to figure out what NFL stands for.... lol

No F***ing sLeep.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Haha 2

Okay so, a stretch of a comparison, but not really.

This band has a lot of versatility. I'm getting Faith No More vibes, without sounding anything like them.

If they started rapping I wouldn't be surprised.

Wait this is the thrash band with rapping, isn't it?

• Like 1

Among The Living is my favourite so far. Is this normal? This sounds like the sort of album I normally treasure that everyone mocks me for.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Wait this is the thrash band with rapping, isn't it?

They did do a colab with rap group Public Enemy in 1991. The song is called Bring Tha Noize. It's a great combination of rap and metal. Scott from Anthrax actually does the last two verses and his flow is pretty good. It was a big hit and possibly the first time rap and metal successfully combined with each other.

• Like 2

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

They did do a colab with rap group Public Enemy in 1991. The song is called Bring Tha Noize. It's a great combination of rap and metal. Scott from Anthrax actually does the last two verses and his flow is pretty good. It was a big hit and possibly the first time rap and metal successfully combined with each other.

Caught In The Mosh had rap moments. Not proper rap but the gang vocals and the verses felt very eighties rap, and I f***ing love it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Okay so the Faith No More comparison was valid.

Which is strange because nobody knew who Fait No More was when Among was released. Maybe Faith No More's first album was out. I doubt they were an influence on them yet but Scott is a big fan of theirs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Among The Living is my favourite so far. Is this normal? This sounds like the sort of album I normally treasure that everyone mocks me for.

Among The Living basically got me into metal back in 2017. It's the cornerstone of their catalogue for a reason.

That said my favorite has shifted onto Persistence Of Time these past couple years.

• Like 2

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

Which is strange because nobody knew who Fait No More was when Among was released. Maybe Faith No More's first album was out. I doubt they were an influence on them yet but Scott is a big fan of theirs.

I don't know if FNM had any inspiration from Anthrax. Both are very creative with a no f***s given attitude. Odd how I never noticed how brilliant Anthrax are? Oh well!

But yeah, the two have crossover elements.

Why can't music be like this now? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Caught In The Mosh had rap moments. Not proper rap but the gang vocals and the verses felt very eighties rap, and I f***ing love it!

When you hear random screaming angry guy in their vocals, that's Scott. Frank does back up too but Scott is the louder more aggressive voice.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Among The Living basically got me into metal back in 2017. It's the cornerstone of their catalogue for a reason.

That said my favorite has shifted onto Persistence Of Time these past couple years.

Among The Living I am sure is the album that turned me off many, many years ago.

Not miserable enough? Who knows 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

I don't know if FNM had any inspiration from Anthrax. Both are very creative with a no f***s given attitude. Odd how I never noticed how brilliant Anthrax are? Oh well!

But yeah, the two have crossover elements.

Why can't music be like this now? 

Well I'm sure there is music like this out there, but it probably has a hard time getting popular on Tik Tok and Spotify, and then there's the fact that rock radio is pretty obsessed with the past.

• Like 2

Among The Living I am sure is the album that turned me off many, many years ago.

Not miserable enough? Who knows 🤣

Yeah it's a very fun album, despite a few songs that have pretty dark subject matter.

• Like 1

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Well I'm sure there is music like this out there, but it probably has a hard time getting popular on Tik Tok and Spotify, and then there's the fact that rock radio is pretty obsessed with the past.

I do try a lot of modern rock but with once highly esteemed british magazines like Metal Hammer and Classic Rock covering Demi Lovato and Machine Gun Kelly these days, it's hard to know if anyone's recommendation is worth paying attention too.

N.F.L. is a weird one 

It reminds me of AFI when they were straight up horror punk! 

Anthrax...you have my heart, you weirdos!

• Like 2

I do try a lot of modern rock but with once highly esteemed british magazines like Metal Hammer and Classic Rock covering Demi Lovato and Machine Gun Kelly these days, it's hard to know if anyone's recommendation is worth paying attention too.

On one hand, pretty sure Demi did make a critically respected heavy record this year. On the other, the idea of any metal mag touching MGK frustrates me greatly. If he wants to have a cat fight with Corey Taylor, I don't want to read about in a metal mag. Leave that to TMZ or something.

• The topic was locked