Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

FFS I actually turned Mekong Delta off to replay some songs off Spreading The Disease.

Can't put my finger on this album, it's got insane vocals (did I really never notice this?), amazing drumming, the riffs are insane...the hooks give Queensryche a run for their money, being instantly addictive without ever sacrificing power or heaviness. 

WHY THE f**k DID THIS BAND NOT IMPRESS ME BEFORE?

J2112YYZ, if I end up living Shadows Fall it's probably because of this band. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

You are not overreacting. It's that good. I don't think Fistful Of Metal is all that good. I didn't like the first singer and Charlie, the band's main music writer, didn't really write much for the album. It doesn't really have that Anthrax sound quite yet. That's why I usually tell people to start with Spreading The Disease. This is where I think Anthrax truly begins.

The debut is still really good. I like lots about it but f**k f**k FUCKITY f**k this second album...like there is about a decades worth of growth between the two releases. It's like Nightwish followed up Angels Fall First with Once.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

David Bowie - Heathen

David Bowie - Blackstar

David Bowie - No Plan EP

Gojira - Magma

Gojira - Fortitude

Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery

You playing Gojira makes me moister than an oyster 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Gojira is very HEAVY live.

You a fan? Been a fan since From Mars To Sirius. Not as obsessive as I was in my teens, but give me a day or two.

• Like 1

Just now, Segue Myles said:

You playing Gojira makes me moister than an oyster 

Alright I am out of funny responses for you, lol.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Gojira is very HEAVY live.

They're already HEAVY in the studio... I suppose I should keep my eye out for tours.

• Like 1

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

They're already HEAVY in the studio... I suppose I should keep my eye out for tours.

Can I just say you playing Gojiira would normally have me running to play their music ASAP but I'm actually hooked on Anthrax.

Never saw that coming.

• Like 1

Can I just say you playing Gojiira would normally have me running to play their music ASAP but I'm actually hooked on Anthrax.

Never saw that coming.

I am happy they've finally cracked your code!  I played The Sound Of White Noise by them yesterday, which I hadn't in a pretty long while. I might need to do a little more revisiting, myself!

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

FFS I actually turned Mekong Delta off to replay some songs off Spreading The Disease.

Can't put my finger on this album, it's got insane vocals (did I really never notice this?), amazing drumming, the riffs are insane...the hooks give Queensryche a run for their money, being instantly addictive without ever sacrificing power or heaviness. 

WHY THE f**k DID THIS BAND NOT IMPRESS ME BEFORE?

J2112YYZ, if I end up living Shadows Fall it's probably because of this band. 

Anthrax's melodic hooks are amazing. Joey was much different than the normal thrash vocalist since he is a clean and melodic singer. Scott, Charlie and Frank musically are one of the best combinations ever in metal.

• Like 2

So Anthrax ... Wow ...

Okay Armed And Dangerous is the sort of song that every third rate metal band (Accept) tried to write but failed to do so successfully.

• Like 3

So Anthrax ... Wow ...

Okay Armed And Dangerous is the sort of song that every third rate metal band (Accept) tried to write but failed to do so successfully.

That song is so good I think it got it's own EP, iirc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J2112YYZ said:

Anthrax's melodic hooks are amazing. Joey was much different than the normal thrash vocalist since he is a clean and melodic singer. Scott, Charlie and Frank musically are one of the best combinations ever in metal.

Personally, I think Dan Spitz deserves a mention too. I know he's no Marty Friedman or Dimebag, but the man has some really interesting melodic ideas in his lead work that I think add another subtle layer of je ne sais quoi to their sound.

• Like 2

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

I'm not saying they are the same, but there are moments on this album that sound like Queensryche were an inspiration. Vocally, he soars in the higher register with effortless control of sometimes really tricky melodies. A lot of metal singers with a higher range sound strained (probably because they are), but these high notes sound like...can't explain it but chills. 

(Can you tell I forgot the original Queensryche vocalists name, because I mean him, not the band)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

I'm not saying they are the same, but there are moments on this album that sound like Queensryche were an inspiration. Vocally, he soars in the higher register with effortless control of sometimes really tricky melodies. A lot of metal singers with a higher range sound strained (probably because they are), but these high notes sound like...can't explain it but chills. 

(Can you tell I forgot the original Queensryche vocalists name, because I mean him, not the band)

I believe Joey's favorite band is Journey, and Steve Perry is his main vocal inspiration. He was actually really freaked out when he first joined Anthrax because he didn't understand moshing.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I believe Joey's favorite band is Journey, and Steve Perry is his main vocal inspiration. He was actually really freaked out when he first joined Anthrax because he didn't understand moshing.

I don't really understand moshing. Do I punch you, kiss you, shake your hand, bend over? 

It's a mystery. So I do all six.

• Haha 2

I don't really understand moshing. Do I punch you, kiss you, shake your hand, bend over? 

It's a mystery. So I do all six.

I was at a hardcore punk show on friday night and let me tell you, I do not exactly understand it either, lol.

I was sitting in a booth off to the side just trying to keep my head moving in time with the drums.

• Haha 1

Just now, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I was at a hardcore punk show on friday night and let me tell you, I do not exactly understand it either, lol.

I was sitting in a booth off to the side just trying to keep my head moving in time with the drums.

I am useless at live metal shows. You'd think I am there, not to feel the RAWWWR of the riff, but the ambience of an opera 🤣

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

You a fan? Been a fan since From Mars To Sirius. Not as obsessive as I was in my teens, but give me a day or two.

Not a huge one. I've never taken a deep dive or anything. They're one of those bands when I hear them I just have a super strong admiration for their musical talent and heaviness. I've always enjoyed what I heard but never get the urge to take a listen to their catalog in detail. I saw them live once opening for Slipknot and their heaviness rivaled Slipknot's. Who are as heavy and loud as a metal band can be live.

• Like 1

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

Not a huge one. I've never taken a deep dive or anything. They're one of those bands when I hear them I just have a super strong admiration for their musical talent and heaviness. I've always enjoyed what I heard but never get the urge to take a listen to their catalog in detail. I saw them live once opening for Slipknot and their heaviness rivaled Slipknot's. Who are as heavy and loud as a metal band can be live.

Slipknot live is what made me a fan. I saw them at some point in the 2000s, forget the year. I was basically dragged by a close friend, I didn't get them at all.

Live? Incredible! It was the tour for the album with Phycosocial. Forget the title (give me some respect, my memory is shot because I worked about seventy hours this week), but that album remains my favourite.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Personally, I think Dan Spitz deserves a mention too. I know he's no Marty Friedman or Dimebag, but the man has some really interesting melodic ideas in his lead work that I think add another subtle layer of je ne sais quoi to their sound.

Yes, he definitely deserves a mention as well. The reason I just mentioned Scott, Charlie and Frank is because they're the ones who have carried the Anthrax sound from Spreading The Disease all the way through to today.

I really need to sleep. But I want to play another Anthrax 🤣

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Slipknot live is what made me a fan. I saw them at some point in the 2000s, forget the year. I was basically dragged by a close friend, I didn't get them at all.

Live? Incredible! It was the tour for the album with Phycosocial. Forget the title (give me some respect, my memory is shot because I worked about seventy hours this week), but that album remains my favourite.

All Hope Is Gone is the name of the album with Psychosocial.

• Like 1

Just now, J2112YYZ said:

All Hope Is Gone is the name of the album with Psychosocial.

That's the one! I actually thought that was the title but I got confused as the Alter Bridge song of that name started playing in my head

• The topic was locked