Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

I will give it the all important 'beer head' test tomorrow ,,, but treeduck mentioned earlier that it sounded more 'pop metal'...... I think that is

what is troubling me .... the earlier albums had a bit of 'edge' to them .... this is more like a polished, corporate effort.

I wouldn't say corporate, but it's not got the darker vibes or black magic vibes, or the heavier vibes of the earlier albums.

Yeah ... but to me that's more of a corporate thing. I donno .... it seems to have been lightened up.

Agreed. It' s like GhostLite with 30% less evil or something.

• Like 1

I will give it the all important 'beer head' test tomorrow ,,, but treeduck mentioned earlier that it sounded more 'pop metal'...... I think that is

what is troubling me .... the earlier albums had a bit of 'edge' to them .... this is more like a polished, corporate effort.

I wouldn't say corporate, but it's not got the darker vibes or black magic vibes, or the heavier vibes of the earlier albums.

Yeah ... but to me that's more of a corporate thing. I donno .... it seems to have been lightened up.

Agreed. It' s like GhostLite with 30% less evil or something.

The sound is definitely at least 30 percent less evil. I haven't read over the lyrics yet to see if those are too.

• Like 2

Ghost-Impera (9/10)

Played this basically all day......love it. Bad news to some folks. not a metal record, lol

and more bad news get ready for the dirty word.........everybody deep breath......it's a very AOR album :laughing guy: no very bright. VERY pop-y even when the album goes a shade drker in the 2nd half.......it's so shiny and has a huge pop-y gloss over it.

I hear journey and Toto (yes Toto....Griftwood basically is a Toto song....don't fight the master, lol) but also Blue Oyster cult in here too.

i dig it........a ton.

Mick

• Like 2

Ghost-Impera (9/10)

Played this basically all day......love it. Bad news to some folks. not a metal record, lol

and more bad news get ready for the dirty word.........everybody deep breath......it's a very AOR album :laughing guy: no very bright. VERY pop-y even when the album goes a shade drker in the 2nd half.......it's so shiny and has a huge pop-y gloss over it.

I hear journey and Toto (yes Toto....Griftwood basically is a Toto song....don't fight the master, lol) but also Blue Oyster cult in here too.

i dig it........a ton.

Mick

Hm, well now I actually want to check it out! Ghost have never appealed to me too much from a metal aspect, but the poppy elements have caught my ear on the last two albums.

• Like 2

Ghost-Impera (9/10)

i dig it........a ton.

Mick

Hm, well now I actually want to check it out! Ghost have never appealed to me too much from a metal aspect, but the poppy elements have caught my ear on the last two albums.

you should LOVE this one. yea Prequelle was awesome. whatever was missing for me they have added. i played Meliora again too. People will hate me but i find that album and older Ghost in general boring as shit.

Mick

• Like 1

Liz Phair - Exile In Guyville

Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind

I actually got to see Third Eye Blind play their debut in full back in 2017.

YOU ACTUAL BITCH AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Called it, lol.

I deserved it haha

Liz Phair - Exile In Guyville

Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind

I actually got to see Third Eye Blind play their debut in full back in 2017.

Shhhhh! Don't tell Segue, he'll sneak into your head and steal your memories for himself! I think that's his favorite album of all time, lol.

Jokes aside, that's sick! It's definitely got a ton of great songs. I do feel it kinda pads out around the tail end, but I wouldn't call anything filler. It just feels a little more focused and concise towards the top, and that's also where the hits are, lol.

I agree. It was a great show. The lineup was pretty weird, though. Silversun Pickups and Ocean Park Standoff (Mark Ronson's sister's pop band) opened.

I've never heard Ocean Park Standoff, but I would think Silversun Pickups could kinda work with TEB. Their vibes aren't too far separated from each other sonically speaking. Lyrically I'm not really sure when Silversun Pickups sing about.

Ocean Park Standoff were pretty good live. I don't really remember their music outside of their one big song, Good News. Silversun Pickups were good too, I just think their sound is somewhat different. They could've picked a lot weirder openers.
  • Like 1

Ghost - Impera (7/10)

It gets a bit too poppy for me at some points but overall it's a fun, enjoyable listen. Would be an 8 if Tobias wasn't so desperate to write something that would become a huge crossover hit.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

Ghost - Impera (7/10)

It gets a bit too poppy for me at some points but overall it's a fun, enjoyable listen. Would be an 8 if Tobias wasn't so desperate to write something that would become a huge crossover hit.

Yeah I feel the same. I enjoy the poppy elements generally but for me much of this album sounds very surface level. I'm bored after a few spins.

Still, some good stuff to be found here!

• Like 1

Ghost- Impera (8/10)

Very good album. I prefer everything else they have done, but credit to them, this should keep a lot of us fans happy.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked