Albums You've Listened To Today, V.8

Entre_Perpetuo

Here's the info:

Tobias Forge doesn't just front Ghost as Papa Emeritus IV – he's the mastermind behind the Swedish prog metal phenomenon. He plays multiple instruments on the band's records, while using his Nameless Ghouls to take up touring duties. But for forthcoming album Impera, he had his hands full and knew who to call to deliver the goods on the guitar front.

"It enables me to have something similar to a perspective slightly objective that way because I'm a little bit of a jack of all trades when it comes to actual playing," Forge told Loudwire of his ability to wear many hats in Ghost's creative process. "I'm an able drummer, a bass player, an able guitar player, but I'm not a virtuoso"

But Forge knows a man who is. "This time around, I actually had another guitar player coming in, mounting the massive work of actually redoing everything. I've played guitar all my life, but, unlike most guitar players who are in successful bands, they play as they tour. I am doing a whole slew of other things, so, it almost feels like every time I saw start writing again, and demoing and doing pre-production, I quickly have to go up to par again."

"I had a friend of mine, Fredrik Åkesson, the guitar player from Opeth," Forge added. "He's the sort of person who plays five hours every day. He's so amazingly talented. He can play circles around anything that I put on tape and he can do it with flair."

ghost-impera.jpg

I've played it three times today and like it except for Twenties. That song is utter garbage & should've been dropped.

Yeah I'm not that keen on that one. I think the first half of it is the best, but the second half is mostly solid too.

• Like 1

ghost-impera.jpg

I've played it three times today and like it except for Twenties. That song is utter garbage & should've been dropped.

Yeah I'm not that keen on that one. I think the first half of it is the best, but the second half is mostly solid too.

Griftwood is a corker. My early favourite.

ghost-impera.jpg

Griftwood is a corker. My early favourite.

My favourites so far are Spillways and Call Me Little Sunshine.

• Like 1

I will give it the all important 'beer head' test tomorrow ,,, but treeduck mentioned earlier that it sounded more 'pop metal'...... I think that is

what is troubling me .... the earlier albums had a bit of 'edge' to them .... this is more like a polished, corporate effort.

• Like 2

I will give it the all important 'beer head' test tomorrow ,,, but treeduck mentioned earlier that it sounded more 'pop metal'...... I think that is

what is troubling me .... the earlier albums had a bit of 'edge' to them .... this is more like a polished, corporate effort.

I wouldn't say corporate, but it's not got the darker vibes or black magic vibes, or the heavier vibes of the earlier albums.

• Like 2

Couldn't wait until tomorrow so had a second listen.

I think the album will grow on me - apart from Twenties which is a real stinker.

Favourites so for (possibly as they hark back to older Ghost) are Hunters Moon and Call Me Little Sunshine) but

If i can remember to skip Twenties, I think this will be a decent effort albeit a bit more corporate.

• Like 2

I wouldn't say corporate, but it's not got the darker vibes or black magic vibes, or the heavier vibes of the earlier albums.

Yeah ... but to me that's more of a corporate thing. I donno .... it seems to have been lightened up.
  • Like 2

Yeah ... but to me that's more of a corporate thing. I donno .... it seems to have been lightened up.

A bit like ..... hey! lets move away a bit from black magic .... lets go user friendly magic.
  • Like 2

I think it's pretty good overall. His voice sounds different, kind of raspy, older maybe?

• Like 1

A bit like ..... hey! lets move away a bit from black magic .... lets go user friendly magic.

I still think the first album is the best one, it was dark and had that black magic feel and was heavy but it was also melodic.

• Like 2

Couldn't wait until tomorrow so had a second listen.

I think the album will grow on me - apart from Twenties which is a real stinker.

Favourites so for (possibly as they hark back to older Ghost) are Hunters Moon and Call Me Little Sunshine) but

If i can remember to skip Twenties, I think this will be a decent effort albeit a bit more corporate.

No one likes Twenties!

• Like 2

Liz Phair - Exile In Guyville

Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind

I actually got to see Third Eye Blind play their debut in full back in 2017.
  • Like 1

Shhhhh! Don't tell Segue, he'll sneak into your head and steal your memories for himself! I think that's his favorite album of all time, lol.

Jokes aside, that's sick! It's definitely got a ton of great songs. I do feel it kinda pads out around the tail end, but I wouldn't call anything filler. It just feels a little more focused and concise towards the top, and that's also where the hits are, lol.

• Like 1

Shhhhh! Don't tell Segue, he'll sneak into your head and steal your memories for himself! I think that's his favorite album of all time, lol.

Jokes aside, that's sick! It's definitely got a ton of great songs. I do feel it kinda pads out around the tail end, but I wouldn't call anything filler. It just feels a little more focused and concise towards the top, and that's also where the hits are, lol.

I agree. It was a great show. The lineup was pretty weird, though. Silversun Pickups and Ocean Park Standoff (Mark Ronson's sister's pop band) opened.
  • Like 1

I agree. It was a great show. The lineup was pretty weird, though. Silversun Pickups and Ocean Park Standoff (Mark Ronson's sister's pop band) opened.

I've never heard Ocean Park Standoff, but I would think Silversun Pickups could kinda work with TEB. Their vibes aren't too far separated from each other sonically speaking. Lyrically I'm not really sure when Silversun Pickups sing about.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

YOU ACTUAL BITCH AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

• Like 2

YOU ACTUAL BITCH AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Called it, lol.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked