17 members have voted

1. 1. album

• Private Eyes - Hall And Oates
    • Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield
  2. 2. artist

• Hall And Oates
    • Mike Oldfield

Well this is a strange one.

You know what else is weird? After doing probably at least a dozen of these, not a single Queen or Rush album has come up, yet Hall And Oates and Rod Stewart have appeared twice iirc. Well, it is random!

• Like 1

*Who the frack is Mike Oldfield?

*Rhetorical question, I know how to use a search engine.

• Like 1

Oldfield from what I know was one of the original 'home recording' artists (along with Boston's founder). The album gained traction in the prog community but I've never really cared for any of his stuff, the bits I've heard. By default Hall and Oats gets my vote, not because they're necessary 'better' musicians. Their commercial success and style of pop was much less vapid than some of the other schlock on the radio at the time.

Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells was the first ever release on Virgin records. It became a massive success (boosted by it's use in The Exorcist) and basically was fundamental in the rise and rise of Virgin.

I have been a fan of Oldfield ever since the release of Tubular Bells way back in 1973 and would thoroughly recommend giving his material a try.

Hall and Oates on the other hand do very little for me. A pop combo with some catchy tunes. Whatever.

Oldfield gets both votes by a massive margin.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 3

Tubular Bells was frequently on my turntable during my freshman year of college. It got my vote. :smoke:

Hall and Oats got my vote for band.

• Like 2

Mike Oldfield, for both. Not even fcking close. I got into Mike's music via the 4 CD Elements compilation released in 1993.

And if you think his "normal" music is out there, try the things he wrote and perfomed for the soundtrack of The Killing Fields.

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 2