The 2021 MLB Season Thread! Tatis Jr. Is A Stud! A's Padres World Series! Place Your Betts! LOL!

RUSHHEAD666

A's with a 2.5 game lead on the Asstros and the 3rd best record in the AL. Meanwhile, the NL Best continues its dominance, with the Giants, Dodgers and Padres all playing well.

Well, they have a 38 game head start.

The Dbacks are 5-37 in their last 42. This is a pace actually worse than the 1899 Cleveland Spiders, and for a quarter of a season. They WOULD have to lose their next 84 in a row to match the Spiders overall record though. Edited by laughedatbytime

If you didn't see the 9th inning of the Reds-Padres game, it's worth checking out on YouTube

I watched it live. Definitely worth watching...

:ranton: Can somebody explain to me why Royals mgr Matheny keeps batting Soler (BA .182) and Dozier (.147) in the the middle of the lineup? Or at all, for that matter.

If he believes they'll only come out of their slumps (when does a "slump" become "that's just how that dude plays now"?) by getting regular at-bats, does it have to be in the middle of the order? They are killing our rallies. We have some great prospects in Witt, Jr. and Pratto -- surely even adjusting to big league pitching they could do better than .147?

Ugh. :beathorse: :rantoff:

:ranton: Can somebody explain to me why Royals mgr Matheny keeps batting Soler (BA .182) and Dozier (.147) in the the middle of the lineup? Or at all, for that matter.

If he believes they'll only come out of their slumps (when does a "slump" become "that's just how that dude plays now"?) by getting regular at-bats, does it have to be in the middle of the order? They are killing our rallies. We have some great prospects in Witt, Jr. and Pratto -- surely even adjusting to big league pitching they could do better than .147?

bring up prospects and their clock starts

• Like 1

bring up prospects and their clock starts

Yeah, I can see that argument -- you may recall a young guy named Kris Bryant and the timing of his call-up -- but surely that's more of an issue if your team doesn't really need the help or the season is already lost and you want the young'uns at full steam for next year, but the Royals are (still!) in that twilight where they could climb back into the wild card race with some regression to the mean. OTOH, you don't want to season a guy for five years and then have him move in time to make his breakthrough . . .

Dozier did hit better yesterday, and Soler sat, so maybe I'll just wait and see.*

(* I'll definitely just wait and see; what other choice do I have?)

Tonight the crackdown on pitchers' use of substances starts. The slash line for the season to date is .239/.313/.400. Any guesses as to what it will be for the rest of the season?

Tonight the crackdown on pitchers' use of substances starts. The slash line for the season to date is .239/.313/.400. Any guesses as to what it will be for the rest of the season?

I think it might rise a bit but the TTO mentality of a lot of batters won't go away nearly as fast.

I think it might rise a bit but the TTO mentality of a lot of batters won't go away nearly as fast.

Then there's Javy with the two true outcomes....

• Like 1

Then there's Javy with the two true outcomes....

I got bored one day and was scrolling through some stat leaderboards, there's the obvious ones like batting average, ERA, home runs, WAR, OPS, then there's the dishonorable ones like strikeouts and grounds-into-double-plays.

I didn't even need to look at the strikeout one to know who was gonna be right at the top. I think Javy exceeded whoever was in second place by 10-15 K's at one point.

Edited by The Analog Cub

Baez yanked after forgetting the number of outs and getting doubled off first.

:facepalm:

Yesterday - Enjoying the Denver thin air and plentiful sunshine! And the Brewers WON!! :sundog:

zOoW9GX.jpg?1

• Like 3

Yesterday, 9th inning. 2 outs, Yelich on first.

Omar Narvaez, with the count of 3-2, fouled back SEVEN consecutive pitches before grounding out.

Yelich got to take off for 2nd and go back SEVEN straight times in the hot, thin Denver air. He was a bit tired! :o

h6fgcs5.jpg

Edited by Principled Man

That and the shifts are by far the larger factors imo.

Fangraphs first 80 prospect, the Rays Wander Franco, connects for his first hit, a game tying 3 run shot vs Boston.

In a season with plenty of low-lights, the Royals performance against the Yankees, coupled with the Cardinals spanking by the Pirates (!), may represent the most flaccid displays of all.

On to Texas.