Another Important Poll

Lorraine

14 members have voted

1. 1. Does your ear pop in the winter?

Do your ears pop? For years now, especially in the winter, my right ear starts popping. My husband, in his better days, once told me it was due to change in atmospheric pressure.

It's annoying as anything, and the last few days, my right ear has been popping away.

Does this happen to anyone else here?

Nope.

I don't think I have even heard of that happening before. The only thing that sometimes affects me during the winter is the lack of sunlight. It's dark by five in the afternoon, so it can feel like it's a couple hours later than it really is.

It happens to me most often when we drive to Pittsburgh. It's up over a mountain range and enough of a change that my ears pop a few times on that section. Sometimes it happens here in the house but I never really noticed when? :blink:

I agree, it's annoying as anything!

• Like 3

It happens to me most often when we drive to Pittsburgh. It's up over a mountain range and enough of a change that my ears pop a few times on that section. Sometimes it happens here in the house but I never really noticed when? :blink:

Thank you!

I was starting to think I might have yet another new medical problem.

• Like 2

Thank you!

Maybe it's one of those things that happen as you get older. My ears have popped when on a plane or when I blow my nose too hard but it's not a seasonal occurrence.

• Like 1

I've been to enough loud metal concerts that my ears have gotten plugged up and would ring for a day or two after. I guess there would probably be some popping before that occurs but the music would be too loud for me to tell.

Thank you!

Who said you don't? :chickendance:

• Like 2

Only if I am on a flight to some sunny climes during the winter months. Covid has put paid to that little pleasure of life!!

I have a quiet, but very very fast "bom-bom-bom-bom-bom...." in my left ear, which I hear all the time unless I have some distracting noise. It`s not anything as bad as Tinnitus but it can be a little bit annoying.
  • Like 1

Do your ears pop? For years now, especially in the winter, my right ear starts popping. My husband, in his better days, once told me it was due to change in atmospheric pressure.

It's annoying as anything, and the last few days, my right ear has been popping away.

Does this happen to anyone else here?

He's right about atmospheric pressure which why ears pop on planes. I wouldn't think surface pressure would change enough, fast enough to cause that.

I have a quiet, but very very fast "bom-bom-bom-bom-bom...." in my left ear, which I hear all the time unless I have some distracting noise. It`s not anything as bad as Tinnitus but it can be a little bit annoying.

Same thing with me, except it's my right ear
  • Like 1

It's my right ear, and it IS annoying. Last night, it wouldn't stop and there is really nothing you CAN do to stop it. Just endure it until it decides to quit.

• Like 1

It's my right ear, and it IS annoying. Last night, it wouldn't stop and there is really nothing you CAN do to stop it. Just endure it until it decides to quit.

I`ve slept with earplugs in for nearly 20 years, which makes a slight difference even though it`s an internal irritation. I could `t sleep at all if I didn`t try to block out noise... it used to be if someone closed a car door 100 yards away I`d wake up like I`d had an electric shock.
  • Like 1

Mine pop all the time. They also ring always.

Yes..mine do as a matter of fact ! Mostly when i first go out into the cold. Below freezing temps.

Have either one of you ever found out why they pop?

Mine rarely pop in the summer. It is usually in the winter.

Edited by Lorraine

Yes..mine do as a matter of fact ! Mostly when i first go out into the cold. Below freezing temps.

you are simply balancing the air pressure between outside and inside your middle ear. . Crackling in the ears can be caused by several different conditions, such as eustachian tube dysfunction, acute otitis media, or the buildup of earwax.

haha I looked it up.

Air pressure changes?

Depending on how good your sinuses are, you have tubes that allow pressure behind your ear to equalize with outside air pressure. If your sinuses are clogged or if the pressure changes so rapidly that the pressure cannot equalize fast enough, you get that popping sensation.

• Like 2

Air pressure changes?

Depending on how good your sinuses are, you have tubes that allow pressure behind your ear to equalize with outside air pressure. If your sinuses are clogged or if the pressure changes so rapidly that the pressure cannot equalize fast enough, you get that popping sensation.

Then my husband was right.

One of those rare occasions. :cool:

• Like 2