Van Halen Trilogy vs. Rush Trilogy

_hi_water._

23 members have voted

1. 1. Van Halen Trilogy vs. Rush Trilogy: Which Is Better?

• Van Halen, Van Halen II, Women And Children First
    • Caress Of Steel, 2112, A Farewell To Kings

I love old school Rush. I don't own Women and Children First. Very easy pick for me.

I think it would be more appropriate to pick the first 3 Rush albums vs the first 3 VH albums. I would still pick Rush, but it would be a LOT closer for me.

sort of an odd comparison...a fair fight would be 2112, aftk and hemi.

I agree. If that was the case, I would've voted for Rush

Quite surprised this is a tie.

I'm surprised RUSH is in this fight. Although, my suspicion is that you could pair AFTK with two Justin Bieber albums and the trio would win any poll. People seem to adore it.
  • Like 4

Quite surprised this is a tie.

I'm surprised RUSH is in this fight. Although, my suspicion is that you could pair AFTK with two Justin Bieber albums and the trio would win any poll. People seem to adore it.

That's because .......

its-the-best-thing-since-sliced-bread.png

Art v Entertainment

Art wins. Rush win.

An album commonly considered to be the band's nadir (it's not in my eyes, that wouldn't happen for another 12 years) and a wildly overrated "prog masterpiece" that is actually Xanadu surrounded by a bunch of mediocre tunes vs. 3 perfect albums, one of which is routinely considered the greatest debut of all time? Please. Stop it.

• Like 2

Art v Entertainment

Art wins. Rush win.

An album commonly considered to be the band's nadir (it's not in my eyes, that wouldn't happen for another 12 years) and a wildly overrated "prog masterpiece" that is actually Xanadu surrounded by a bunch of mediocre tunes vs. 3 perfect albums, one of which is routinely considered the greatest debut of all time? Please. Stop it.

THANK YOU RICK. Omg I couldn't agree more
  • Like 1

An album commonly considered to be the band's nadir (it's not in my eyes, that wouldn't happen for another 12 years) and a wildly overrated "prog masterpiece" that is actually Xanadu

I have no idea why this is almost always considered the best Rush song on this forum. This song wouldn't make my Top 20, or Top 25. As I said, not sure why this is so gushed on. The intro? (dee doo dee doo dee doo). Alex going up and down his scales? A thing I've seen people say to backup is "Neil added chimes," as if it makes it a lot better. One hell of an overrated song for sure.

I know it's not cool to say it right now, and I mean no offense at all, but Van Halen don't come close to Rush for me.
  • Like 5

I know it's not cool to say it right now, and I mean no offense at all, but Van Halen don't come close to Rush for me.

still a damn good band, right?

You bet!!!!!

• Like 3

I have no idea why this is almost always considered the best Rush song on this forum. This song wouldn't make my Top 20, or Top 25. As I said, not sure why this is so gushed on. The intro? (dee doo dee doo dee doo). Alex going up and down his scales? A thing I've seen people say to backup is "Neil added chimes," as if it makes it a lot better.

Neil is much more than just a drummer in "Xanadu", he is like a mini orchestra there. In most Rush songs he is just a (great) drummer, but it's not the case in "Xanadu". It's a special thing about that Rush song.

• Like 1

I have no idea why this is almost always considered the best Rush song on this forum. This song wouldn't make my Top 20, or Top 25. As I said, not sure why this is so gushed on. The intro? (dee doo dee doo dee doo). Alex going up and down his scales? A thing I've seen people say to backup is "Neil added chimes," as if it makes it a lot better.

Neil is much more than just a drummer in "Xanadu", he is like a mini orchestra there. In most Rush songs he is just a (great) drummer, but it's not the case in "Xanadu". It's a special thing about that Rush song.

Witch Hunt is better
  • Like 1

Art v Entertainment

Art wins. Rush win.

I really don't think AFTK is commonly considered Rush's nadir. Everything from 2112 to MP is usually seen as their golden period. CoS has a much better case surrounding it for being generally considered their nadir (though I disagree seeing as RTB exists).

• Like 2

An album commonly considered to be the band's nadir (it's not in my eyes, that wouldn't happen for another 12 years) and a wildly overrated "prog masterpiece" that is actually Xanadu

I have no idea why this is almost always considered the best Rush song on this forum. This song wouldn't make my Top 20, or Top 25. As I said, not sure why this is so gushed on. The intro? (dee doo dee doo dee doo). Alex going up and down his scales? A thing I've seen people say to backup is "Neil added chimes," as if it makes it a lot better. One hell of an overrated song for sure.

To you.

Look, if you haven't figured out why people love Xanadu at this point (it's not just because of the intro, and the intro is NOT just Alex playing up and down a scale) then you should probably quit whining about it. It's a beloved song and considered a classic, even by folks like Rick or Goose who aren't huge fans of the album it comes from. Maybe one day it will click for you, maybe it won't, but loudly expressing your dismay that it's so revered just gets on my nerves after a while. No offense intended.

• Like 2

Honestly my favorite drumming performance of all time. So grateful I got to see him play it live.

• Like 1

Art v Entertainment

Art wins. Rush win.

I really don't think AFTK is commonly considered Rush's nadir. Everything from 2112 to MP is usually seen as their golden period. CoS has a much better case surrounding it for being generally considered their nadir (though I disagree seeing as RTB exists).

I was referring to CoS with respect to the nadir. My point was that you had two weaker (IMO, but one of which is somewhat widely held) Rush albums against a part of the teeth of VH's catalog.

• Like 1

To you.

Look, if you haven't figured out why people love Xanadu at this point (it's not just because of the intro, and the intro is NOT just Alex playing up and down a scale) then you should probably quit whining about it. It's a beloved song and considered a classic, even by folks like Rick or Goose who aren't huge fans of the album it comes from. Maybe one day it will click for you, maybe it won't, but loudly expressing your dismay that it's so revered just gets on my nerves after a while. No offense intended.

Xanadu is a great song, especially live. My objection to the AFTK love is that IMO Xanadu is surrounded by somewhat weak tracks.

Art v Entertainment

Art wins. Rush win.

I was referring to CoS with respect to the nadir. My point was that you had two weaker (IMO, but one of which is somewhat widely held) Rush albums against a part of the teeth of VH's catalog.

Oh, I misread your post, lol. I was very confused for a moment.

To you.

Xanadu is a great song, especially live. My objection to the AFTK love is that IMO Xanadu is surrounded by somewhat weak tracks.

Compared to Xanadu, I can understand how much of the rest of the album might sound weaker to someone. It's still my fav though. :)

Art v Entertainment

Art wins. Rush win.

Oh, I misread your post, lol. I was very confused for a moment.

I'm not sure it was you. I might not have made that as clear as I could have.