The Van Halen Thread v.1 (with additional poll)

_hi_water._

23 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Member Of The Band?

• Alex Van Halen
    • Eddie Van Halen
    • Wolfgang Van Halen
    • Michael Anthony
    • David Lee Roth
    • Sammy Hagar
    • Gary Cherone
    • Mark Stone

Let's face it if Eddie had left the band in 1977 and gone off to study horticulture and entomology for the next 50 years, the rest of the original band would never have been heard of. And Hagar would be mostly known as the mostly forgotten guy from Montrose who was big in the 70's.

Let's say it happened. Would David, Michael, and Alex have had any success if they had a very good guitarist (but not Eddie level) with them? Would they have had similar success as Roth's band in the immediate years following his VH departure?

It depends. When Roth went solo he had the Van Halen template to build from. He just got an Eddie replacement in Steve Vai and another Eddie replacement on bass instead of a another Mike Anthony. Maybe he could have got someone else, maybe Randy Rhoads, he was around the same clubs and whatnot as Van Halen in the mid to late 70's before he joined Ozzy.

Yeah I know his solo project was built on the success of VH. But yeah, I'm saying would the Roth/Anthony/AlexVH + competent guitarist BAND have had success IF that VH debut never hit the stores?

Let's face it if Eddie had left the band in 1977 and gone off to study horticulture and entomology for the next 50 years, the rest of the original band would never have been heard of. And Hagar would be mostly known as the mostly forgotten guy from Montrose who was big in the 70's.

Let's say it happened. Would David, Michael, and Alex have had any success if they had a very good guitarist (but not Eddie level) with them? Would they have had similar success as Roth's band in the immediate years following his VH departure?

It depends. When Roth went solo he had the Van Halen template to build from. He just got an Eddie replacement in Steve Vai and another Eddie replacement on bass instead of a another Mike Anthony. Maybe he could have got someone else, maybe Randy Rhoads, he was around the same clubs and whatnot as Van Halen in the mid to late 70's before he joined Ozzy.

Yeah I know his solo project was built on the success of VH. But yeah, I'm saying would the Roth/Anthony/AlexVH + competent guitarist BAND have had success IF that VH debut never hit the stores?

No.

Well I don't think any other guitarist would have had the impact of Eddie. It would just be another band most likely. Also Alex probably would have left once his brother went, I don't think he got on with Roth even in the beginning. So any new band would likely be Dave, Mike a guitarist and a drummer. Maybe they could have got George Lynch or Jake e Lee two more guitarists who were around in the late 70's, but all these guys including Randy were massively influenced by Eddie so they wouldn't sound like they did with Ozzy and Dokken, they would have played in a totally different way. So who knows whether it would have worked. Eddie disappearing into science would affect every band that emerged in the 80's, even bands like Maiden and Metallica would be very slightly different without Eddie.

• Like 2

Well I don't think any other guitarist would have had the impact of Eddie. It would just be another band most likely. Also Alex probably would have left once his brother went, I don't think he got on with Roth even in the beginning. So any new band would likely be Dave, Mike a guitarist and a drummer. Maybe they could have got George Lynch or Jake e Lee two more guitarists who were around in the late 70's, but all these guys including Randy were massively influenced by Eddie so they wouldn't sound like they did with Ozzy and Dokken, they would have played in a totally different way. So who knows whether it would have worked. Eddie disappearing into science would affect every band that emerged in the 80's, even bands like Maiden and Metallica would be very slightly different without Eddie.

I agree with you. Eddie and Alex are very close. If Eddie had left, Alex would have eventually followed, and both of them, according to interviews with them that I've watched, disliked Dave intensely.

• Like 1

The big question in this thread is will anyone vote for Dave? Maybe Bathory if he bothers to come in the thread. Will anyone vote for Hagar? Will any of these other guys get a single vote? Edited by treeduck

And Hagar would be mostly known as the mostly forgotten guy from Montrose who was big in the 70's.

Don;t forget that he had a solo career that featured four straight gold or platinum albums in the 80s.

And Hagar would be mostly known as the mostly forgotten guy from Montrose who was big in the 70's.

Don;t forget that he had a solo career that featured four straight gold or platinum albums in the 80s.

Yeah but take away his career with Van Halen and where would he be? What would be his status in music?

• Like 1

Yeah but take away his career with Van Halen and where would he be? What would be his status in music?

A helluva lot more than where Dave would be under the same circumstances, lol. It's interesting that Ted Templeman was pushing early for Hagar to replace Dave for the recording of the debut album. If that had happened...

A helluva lot more than where Dave would be under the same circumstances, lol. It's interesting that Ted Templeman was pushing early for Hagar to replace Dave for the recording of the debut album. If that had happened...

Yeah Sammy would be the most known of the other Van Halen members by far, he already had a career long before the Van Halen debut. Roth's career without Eddie and Alex would be questionable at best, and very likely he might be completely unknown in a 2020 with no guitar hero called Van Halen.

Anthony liked Dave even less than the Van Halen brothers.

There's a reason why Dave's solo career had the trajectory it did. Sammy would have continued to be a middling artist. There's also a reason why Randy didn't break until Ozzy hired him, and why most people don't know George Lynch by name. EVH is a singular talent. That's why his band got a US deal and blew up immediately after their first album came out and Quiet Riot and Dokken signed Japanese and German contracts around the same time. All great musicians, even Sammy. But Guitar Center is filled with great guitarists.

• Like 1

Well then it would be Dave and a whole different band, and he might just produce albums of the quality and relevance of Your Filthy Little Mouth, DLR Band and Diamond Dave.

The bass player's name, who was in the band, and group with David Lee Roth, and Steve Vai, and played bass on Eat 'Em and Smile is Billy Sheehan. I'll say like on another thread the same as this. It's more, than one person, and individual. They are: David Lee Roth, Edward Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony, and Sammy Hagar. If it weren't for those five, then who knows where the band, and group would've been, and got at. Edited by Derek19

That 55 dude.

Dave and Freddie Mercury had one thing in common - they both loved being on stage and were born to be on one.

I think Dave and his bombastic and flamboyant ways helped VH. Too bad it all went to his head and he was such a jerk.

I thought that about DLR until reading more and more about EVH in regards to that debacle in 1996 and Sammy's autobiography. DLR isn't a saint but EVH's ego ruined the band in the long run with Van Halen 3 and screwing over Sammy and Michael. That's why I voted Diamond.

EVH is still my favorite guitarist, though.

Really? I thought they were sorta pals.