2. 2. classic OFFICIALLY RELEASED live album

• Live/Dead - Grateful Dead
    • At Filmore East - Allman Brothers Band
  3. 3. classic studio album

• Workingman's Dead - Grateful Dead
    • Brothers And Sisters - Allman Brothers Band

Allman Brothers.

Phish and Widespread Panic over both.

For a band that typically sells out venues, I’m surprised Panic never gets any love on here.

So, here’s some love now:

http://youtu.be/BJUriJqTG9M

Big Phish and WSP fan here.

When i think about the best gigs I’ve been to I always say Rush, Phish, and Widespread Panic. Phish and WP aren’t among my top 5 bands (maybe not top 10 either) but they both put on worthwhile, high value shows.

• Like 3

Never listened to either, never really thought about it either.

If I have, I don't remember ������

Any decent recommendations for either?

For Allman Bros. Eat A Peach has great studio tracks and good live jamming. For the Dead, I'll be honest and say I introduced myself to them via a greatest hits because I was so unfamiliar with so much of their work. That said, the standard Greatest Hits with the yellow background and skeleton with roses in the middle has a lot I enjoy and varies in style and sound wildly.

Terrapin Station, for the prog-minded.
  • Like 2

Two of my favorite bands. Tough to chose between the two because I love them both so much.

Went with the Dead.

I regard Fillmore East as the greatest live album of all time so I certainly voted for that.

Workingman's Dead also gets the nod from me. With no Duane on Brothers and Sisters, this one was an easy decision. Didn't care too much for the country leanings of the band after Duane was gone. The blues influence is missed.

Two of the greatest live bands. It's been years since I've listened to a studio album all the way through for either of them. But my Sirius radio is usually tuned into the Dead channel.

Only saw the Grateful Dead live 4 times as I was a poor college student just before Jerry died and didn't have the funds to see them often.

But have seen the post Jerry incarnations (Other Ones, Further, The Dead, Dead and Co, Fare The well) well over 50 times.

Have seen the Allman Brothers over 30 times including their final show at the Beacon about 5 years ago. No better guitar duo than Warren and Derek.

Lastly - Jerry has more soul and talent in the tip of his right middle finger than all of Earl's shitty ass hair bands combined.

Lol

That's the digit he is missing iirc

• Like 1

Allmans, all 3. I have all four albums, and based on time of release Workingman's Dead was a disappointment. Garcia's guitar work sustains Live/Dead, but that's about it. Both Allman Brothers albums cook all the way through.

If your a big fan of Duane, check out his 2 CD Anthology set. Allman's, plus Aretha, Wilson Pickett, Delany and Bonnie, etc. Some tasty acoustic slide guitar kicks in a duet of "Mean Old World" with Clapton on this one too.

• Like 2

Allmans, all 3. I have all four albums, and based on time of release Workingman's Dead was a disappointment. Garcia's guitar work sustains Live/Dead, but that's about it. Both Allman Brothers albums cook all the way through.

If your a big fan of Duane, check out his 2 CD Anthology set. Allman's, plus Aretha, Wilson Pickett, Delany and Bonnie, etc. Some tasty acoustic slide guitar kicks in a duet of "Mean Old World" with Clapton on this one too.

I am not a huge fan of workingman's dead nor consider it their "classic". Imo american beauty is their classic or terrapin.

Seems like they mentioned duane during the documentary I watched about muscle shoals?

Edited by tangy
  • Like 1

Two of my favorite bands. Tough to chose between the two because I love them both so much.

Went with the Dead.

I regard Fillmore East as the greatest live album of all time so I certainly voted for that.

Workingman's Dead also gets the nod from me. With no Duane on Brothers and Sisters, this one was an easy decision. Didn't care too much for the country leanings of the band after Duane was gone. The blues influence is missed.

Two of the greatest live bands. It's been years since I've listened to a studio album all the way through for either of them. But my Sirius radio is usually tuned into the Dead channel.

Only saw the Grateful Dead live 4 times as I was a poor college student just before Jerry died and didn't have the funds to see them often.

But have seen the post Jerry incarnations (Other Ones, Further, The Dead, Dead and Co, Fare The well) well over 50 times.

Have seen the Allman Brothers over 30 times including their final show at the Beacon about 5 years ago. No better guitar duo than Warren and Derek.

Lastly - Jerry has more soul and talent in the tip of his right middle finger than all of Earl's shitty ass hair bands combined.

Lol

exactly

• Like 2

Warren Haynes founder of Gov't Mule (also a rock jam band) mentioned in this 2015 interview below (beginning at the 6:08 mark) that one fan saw the band 403 times in concert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z85HMiI-ZbI

I have seen a LOT of Mule shows as well. Met Warren a couple of times. What a nice down to Earth human. He and Lerxst are big role models for me.

I am a huge Duane fan. I have all his stuff.

Also check out the Derek and The Dominos box set (I guess you can find these on youtube???). Disc 2 is the jams where they just left the tape running

• "Jam I" (Clapton, Gordon, Carl Radle, Whitlock) Recorded September 2, 1970
  • "Jam II" (Clapton, Gordon, Radle, Whitlock) Recorded August 26, 1970
  • "Jam III" (Clapton, Gordon, Radle, Whitlock) Recorded August 27, 1970
  • "Jam IV" (Duane Allman, Gregg Allman, Dickey Betts, Berry Oakley, Butch Trucks, Clapton, Whitlock) Recorded August 27, 1970
  • "Jam V" (Duane Allman, Clapton, Gordon, Radle, Whitlock) Recorded August 27, 1970

So you get two additional Duane tracks.

Went with the Dead.

Lol

exactly

The fat man rocks!!!

• Like 1

I'd like to give a shout out to Moe. I've seen them a few times.

http://youtu.be/wpqqVtFiPiE

Ive seen Moe many times as well. I think of them and Umphrey's as being fairly similiar. I guess I'm mostly a jam band hippie at heart.

• Like 1

Filmore East rightly has the sweep going so far. :)

I probably love Live Dead more than anyone else on this board but Fillmore East can't be beat (my license plate is now L1Z REED).

• Like 2