The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

I was somewhat dumbfounded when after the game Rio Ferdinand was asked which of the two teams he would have preferred England to get if they reached the final.

His answer, it doesn't matter as from what he had seen, England were better than either. ...... Methinks old Rio may need to change his optician.

One thing England don`t have, at least I have never seen it, is that scary aura that Italy (or Germany, on occasion) have. Like they are somehow in control of a match they are to all intents and purposes not in control of. Maybe they`ll be all efficient tomorrow, but they don`t have that top team ingredient, which is why Denmark can silence Wembley.

As an Englishman, I NEVER feel like the England team is in control of a match! Even at 4-0 against Ukraine, I was waiting for them to mess it up somehow!!

Well, I think that game was the exception that proves the rule. Tomorrow is almost certainly going to be a very stressful business. I remember Euro `96 and that was horrible.
  • Like 1

Gotta feel for Morata. Death threats to him and his family during this tournament. Let's hope nothing stupid happens.

No love for Hubert Hurkacz? You must hate Tennis to have kept quiet :eh:
  • Like 1

As much as I love Denmark and their capital city and their TV shows, this England side are a likable and talented group with a proper manager. As long as England doesn`t turn into a horrible, drunken, jingoistic, xenophobic mess - more than it already is - it would be good to reach a final in my lifetime. Yes, of course we all enjoyed La Tournoi under Hoddle in `97, but... :bump:
  • Like 2

Gotta feel for Morata. Death threats to him and his family during this tournament. Let's hope nothing stupid happens.

No love for Hubert Hurkacz? You must hate Tennis to have kept quiet :eh:

He has to play an Italian in the semifinal. :eyeroll:
  • Like 1

As much as I love Denmark and their capital city and their TV shows, this England side are a likable and talented group with a proper manager. As long as England doesn`t turn into a horrible, drunken, jingoistic, xenophobic mess - more than it already is - it would be good to reach a final in my lifetime. Yes, of course we all enjoyed La Tournoi under Hoddle in `97, but... :bump:

Everything to play for second half. It should still go England's way i think. They are making some great attacking moves. Their problem is when they hang back and let the Danes play.
  • Like 1

Everything to play for second half. It should still go England's way i think. They are making some great attacking moves. Their problem is when they hang back and let the Danes play.

Yep, we look shakey when they attack us. Thankfully Walker really is fast :outtahere:
  • Like 1

Yep, we look shakey when they attack us. Thankfully Walker really is fast :outtahere:

Doesn't help when Pickford has lost the plot when it comes to distribution from the back!

• Like 1

This is becoming an endurance test ..... for players and spectators.

I know! My wife, who is not a sports fan, thought I was having a nap because the door was shut and I was quiet :facepalm:
  • Like 1

England takes the lead!

Kane!

For someone who was dogs bollocks in the early part of the tournament, Harry has really kicked it up a few notches the last few matches.
  • Like 1

That`s a really cool way to play out the last few minutes... just keep the ball :ebert:

English tiki-taka, eh? :wub:

:D We didn`t kick off like that though :no:
  • Like 3

That`s a really cool way to play out the last few minutes... just keep the ball :ebert:

You may have to try to have a chance against Italy. :P
  • Like 2

Well deserved for England.

Maehle so disappointed, he showed his quality and gave all that he got.

Sunday's going to be a nice little matchday. :)

Edited by Sun & Moon
  • Like 1

Deserved winners but will need to do better on Sunday to beat Italy. I thought Kane and Sterling played well but you only have to blow on them and they fall over.

Ironic really because they will be meeting the masters of that style soon! But things all set for a fab finale.

My challenge will be to see it - Sunday = Afternoon horse racing accompanied by multiple beers. Then a curry and some wine. 8pm may be a bit of a struggle.

• Like 1

We should line-up the entire team on our goal line for 120 minutes and rely on rebounds, and if that doesn`t work, snatch it on pens :popcorn:
  • Like 2

Well deserved for England.

Maehle so disappointed, he showed his quality and gave all that he got.

Sunday's going to be a nice little matchday. :)

It`s the final everyone not in Chicago wanted!
  • Like 2

We should line-up the entire team on our goal line for 120 minutes and rely on rebounds, and if that doesn`t work, snatch it on pens :popcorn:

But next to Spain, you're the worst penalty taking nation in the world. :huh:
  • Like 1