The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

:zalice: Belgium, Spain, England and Denmark in the semis. :zalice:

Courageously, you`ve gone for three favourites - whilst Belgium are seen as slim outsiders for the Italy game. Only 15/1 if they all win. I think I still want Italy to win, but I would be happy with the others.
  • Like 2

Courageously, you`ve gone for three favourites - whilst Belgium are seen as slim outsiders for the Italy game. Only 15/1 if they all win. I think I still want Italy to win, but I would be happy with the others.

Courageously? Yes. Take another look at the last few days. The "group of death" obliterated. There are no easy picks at this EURO. :ph34r: You would be happy with Spain advancing? :o
  • Like 2

Courageously? Yes. Take another look at the last few days. The "group of death" obliterated. There are no easy picks at this EURO. :ph34r: You would be happy with Spain advancing? :o

Switzerland won`t beat Spain so there`s no point hoping it`ll happen - also, Spain would play Belgium or Italy next which could result in a pyrrhic victory for whoever wins, as it`ll be very tough match. If England could beat Ukraine and Denmark, then face Italy, that`d be perfect final for me.
  • Like 2

Switzerland won`t beat Spain so there`s no point hoping it`ll happen - also, Spain would play Belgium or Italy next which could result in a pyrrhic victory for whoever wins, as it`ll be very tough match. If England could beat Ukraine and Denmark, then face Italy, that`d be perfect final for me.

Change Italy to Spain and we have a deal...but I know we won't. :P
  • Like 1

But then I won`t get to hear the Italian national anthem any more. Send me the MP3 so I can listen and weep when Spain and England line up :musicnote: :(
  • Like 1

But then I won`t get to hear the Italian national anthem any more. Send me the MP3 so I can listen and weep when Spain and England line up :musicnote: :(

No mercy! :fury:
  • Like 1

Nuno. Well, Nu-yes for me. Let us never forget that when Pochettino was appointed, he was not a glamour coach. And Nuno seems like a very pleasant fellow, has some PL experience, and a nice greying beard.

If it goes wrong, I can always switch to Leeds :ebert:

• Like 2

Nuno. Well, Nu-yes for me. Let us never forget that when Pochettino was appointed, he was not a glamour coach. And Nuno seems like a very pleasant fellow, has some PL experience, and a nice greying beard.

Meanwhile, Wisla hires a manager from Slovakia. Why not, we finished below them at EURO. :blush:
  • Like 2

I will give my predictions (which could be the proverbial kiss of death!!)

Spain, Italy, Denmark & England

Taking emotion out of it and going for cold analysis, my internal computer says Spain, Belgium, Czech Republic, England.

If I tick the emotion box, I get Spain, Italy, Denmark, England.

Yes, he's quite piratical looking, isn't he? Perhaps they'll adopt a "swashbuckling" style!

Not sure how I feel about Benitez in blue. Mmmm, wishing him moderate success, I suppose.

• Like 2

Yes, he's quite piratical looking, isn't he? Perhaps they'll adopt a "swashbuckling" style!

Not sure how I feel about Benitez in blue. Mmmm, wishing him moderate success, I suppose.

Bit too much made of the terrible betrayal angle, perhaps? He did leave 11 years ago, and I`m not sure he`s going to worry you too much. If Everton finish 7th or 8th, everyone can be satisfied that he`s building, but not too much and not too fast :tsk:

Regarding your upcoming season. Was last year a conflation of unprecedented events? Or is tetchy Jurgen burnt out, just like he was at Dortmund after five years?

I think tbh it is causing Everton supporters bigger grief that Liverpool supporters.

He had some great times at Liverpool, seems a decent man and I hope he gets some success at Everton (but not at our expense lol!!)

• Like 2

I think tbh it is causing Everton supporters bigger grief that Liverpool supporters.

He had some great times at Liverpool, seems a decent man and I hope he gets some success at Everton (but not at our expense lol!!)

Rafa is a decent guy, but you only get big name managers at Everton if they want big money near the end of the career, I suspect. I doubt Real Madrid will lure him away like they did Carlo, based on his record there :16ton:
  • Like 1

Bit too much made of the terrible betrayal angle, perhaps? He did leave 11 years ago, and I`m not sure he`s going to worry you too much. If Everton finish 7th or 8th, everyone can be satisfied that he`s building, but not too much and not too fast :tsk:

Regarding your upcoming season. Was last year a conflation of unprecedented events? Or is tetchy Jurgen burnt out, just like he was at Dortmund after five years?

Some things are forever, you know. Because I have the luxury of supporting from afar, I can afford to think of Everton more like a little brother -- you want good things for him, deep down inside, but never at your expense or so it outshines you. My main concern is not any sort of "betrayal" but that he'll do too well for the Toffees! They might even win a cup, gasp!

I think Klopp burned out at Dortmund dealing with their financial limitations and forever working in Bayern's shadow. LFC may not have as much to spend as some others, but they're not exactly poor, and despite the recent years, they're hardly eclipsed by anyone. I imagine he'll soldier on for a few more seasons -- there can't be any more like last, surely!

• Like 1

I`m not doing well with Switzerland playing in red and Spain in white. I`ve been watching rather inattentively, so when the equalizer came it was hard to believe it wasn`t a Spanish goal.

Until I realised the goalscorer was the shortest, most top heavy player in history that is.

• Like 2

Thank you, Simon! I knew Spain was in trouble when Sarabia and Morata left the proceedings in favor of Moreno and Olmo. However, all's well that ends well.
  • Like 1

That`s not a red card, IMO. I make challenges like that when people are in the way in the supermarket :yes:

A very harsh decision.

I think the Swiss just did not have things fall the right way for them today - unlucky.

If Spain learn how to convert all the chances they create they will be unstoppable!!

• Like 1

Thank you, Simon! I knew Spain was in trouble when Sarabia and Morata left the proceedings in favor of Moreno and Olmo. However, all's well that ends well.

They`re no better than they should be, you know. To use a silly Northern English expression.

I didn`t see how Switzerland would have enough to win, but I miscalculated how sloppy Spain are in front of the sticks which is a great leveller.

And now a heavyweight scrap.

Then Lukaku wins. However, I wonder if those beautiful Italians haven`t something a little silkier up their short sleeves :wub:
  • Like 1