The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

So this seems as legitimately an arbitrary point as any, so with the Community Shield, and new season kicks off!

And Liverpool lose 4-5 on penalties to Arseanal and their horrible unis.

I'm not sure how I feel about the teal on the 'pool's uniforms, either.

C'mon you Reds!

Don't get me wrong -- I would rather they won! But, it's hard to read too much into this (I hope). Brewster is still pretty young, so his miss seems forgivable (and he's just practicing for a future World Cup match v. ze Germans!). Did Mane not take one, though?

Next!

Massive news everyone, gather round! Tottenham will play Romania's Botosani or Macedonian club Shkendija in the third round of Europa League qualifying if they defeat Lokomotiv Plovdiv :huh:

I feel somewhat underwhelmed.

• Like 1

Nations League starts tomorrow with Latvia vs Andorra the early match. Still can't decide on the nightcap. Spain-Germany should be the obvious choice but there's also Turkey-Hungary, Bulgaria-Ireland, Finland-Wales... :wacko:
  • Like 1

Nations League starts tomorrow with Latvia vs Andorra the early match. Still can't decide on the nightcap. Spain-Germany should be the obvious choice but there's also Turkey-Hungary, Bulgaria-Ireland, Finland-Wales... :wacko:

Are you watching through the Tubes, or is it broadcast by some sportsy network? I'd go Turkey-Hungary -- in a match like that, there's always the chance a mass brawl breaks out.

• Like 1

Are you watching through the Tubes, or is it broadcast by some sportsy network? I'd go Turkey-Hungary -- in a match like that, there's always the chance a mass brawl breaks out.

I will be glued to liveTV.ru. And yes, that's what I was thinking listing Turkey-Hungary, although our brothers could've put up more of a fight in 1683. :eyeroll:
  • Like 1

Watching Latvia and Andorra was a mistake. :zzz:

What, no earth-shattering displays of prowess? Maybe the later games will provide more punch and wake you up.

Now I'm watching Turkey-Hungary and I still haven't seen any goals. :banghead:

Ireland came back to tie it up at the very end -- I'm pretty sure the ref had started his inhale to blow the whistle -- so another draw on the day.

How do you like Poland's chances against the Dutch, Blackhawkrush?

• Like 1

Ireland came back to tie it up at the very end -- I'm pretty sure the ref had started his inhale to blow the whistle -- so another draw on the day.

How do you like Poland's chances against the Dutch, Blackhawkrush?

Lewandowski won't play. Looks like we'll go with a 4-5-1 set up, which means playing defense for most of the match. Even Robert has big problems all by himself up front. I don't expect miracles from Milik or Piatek. A draw would be a great result for us.

International football without crowds is a struggle to watch, amiright? Feels even more laboured and not-as-good-as-league-football than usual. Nations League is undoubtedly a fine idea though; Ramos would probably not have created a ruckus in injury time were it a normal friendly. Actually, scratch that - Ramos totally would have done that.
  • Like 1

Holland 1 Poland 0 :sigh: It was all decided on a failed offside trap. Poland defending too much throughout the match. Every time the Dutch no.10 was touched, he would get a free kick from the Bulgarian referee. Italy drew with Bosnia, so the Monday game looms large for the boys...

Watching Iceland-England now. Poor first half for both sides. Kane's goal was unjustly called back for offside. I think the English commentators are beginning to see the advantage of having VAR. :P

Watching Iceland-England now. Poor first half for both sides. Kane's goal was unjustly called back for offside. I think the English commentators are beginning to see the advantage of having VAR. :P

Two penalty kicks in added time. :wacko: England escapes with a 1-0 win.

Hungarians gave it a try...too little, too late. Spain-Ukraine is unwatchable. Gynecologists vs Long John Silver Impersonators. I can imagine what the Spaniards are going to do to us at EURO2020. :facepalm:
  • Like 2

Hungarians gave it a try...too little, too late. Spain-Ukraine is unwatchable. Gynecologists vs Long John Silver Impersonators. I can imagine what the Spaniards are going to do to us at EURO2020. :facepalm:

I don't even know what this means, but I'm sure it's funny.

I watched the Irish again, and I'm not totally sure why. They could not generate much, and the Finns capitalized against the run of play. Still, I like the Nations League because I'm a sucker for minnows like Andorra or Malta or Poland. :P

• Like 1

I don't even know what this means, but I'm sure it's funny.

I watched the Irish again, and I'm not totally sure why. They could not generate much, and the Finns capitalized against the run of play. Still, I like the Nations League because I'm a sucker for minnows like Andorra or Malta or Poland. :P

I switched over to Malta-Latvia. Much more interesting. They have a woman referee. Amazingly enough, the players are not arguing with her at all. :P

Greenwood and Foden thrown off the team because of women in their hotel room. Who says Man U and Man City can't live together? :)

There`s a bunch of gorgeous Icelandic girls with their legs up on the mantelpiece, really gagging for it... what`s a millionaire representing his country in a bio-secure bubble during a pandemic gonna do?
  • Like 1