The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

Interesting idea coming out of Qatar. Their entire national team is going to be on loan to a Belgian second division team K.A.S. Eupen in order to beef up on the friendly matches before the start of the 2022 World Cup.

Interesting idea coming out of Qatar. Their entire national team is going to be on loan to a Belgian second division team K.A.S. Eupen in order to beef up on the friendly matches before the start of the 2022 World Cup.

I wonder what Eupen's current roster thinks about that idea!

The first half hour of the Baggies vs Chelsea match has been surprisingly entertaining :popcorn:

And then the last thirty minutes was Cinderella getting smacked around!

You will have noticed I was not locking in a WBA win!
  • Like 1

The club is owned by a company from Qatar. I suspect the players will be handsomely rewarded for their troubles (bonuses and loans to other teams) How the Belgian Football Federation decides to look at this issue is unclear. The team's site has no news of any kind posted in the last six days. Obviously they're working out the details...

The club is owned by a company from Qatar. I suspect the players will be handsomely rewarded for their troubles (bonuses and loans to other teams) How the Belgian Football Federation decides to look at this issue is unclear. The team's site has no news of any kind posted in the last six days. Obviously they're working out the details...

Probably - Eupen are not a highly-paid outfit, more likely to be part timers with F/T occupations? They may welcome the boon of cash for not playing. Qatar might be much worse than them, I don`t know. I imagine the only losers will be the modern slaves tending to every whim of the Qatari national team :sigh:
  • Like 2

Tottenham advances in the League Cup. Mourinho happy ( I think he's going to marry that bald guy he was holding during the penalty shootout ) Bale happy ( no golf for him tonight ) Simon happy ( :macallan: )
  • Like 2

Tottenham advances in the League Cup. Mourinho happy ( I think he's going to marry that bald guy he was holding during the penalty shootout ) Bale happy ( no golf for him tonight ) Simon happy ( :macallan: )

I went and did some decorating whilst the second half was on as the first half wasn`t doing much for me, but paused it and watched it "as live"...just in case we got better. And we did! Very surprised, but do you remember the old days when good/bad things were supposed to even out over a season? Maybe winning a penalty shoot-out is some cosmic counterbalance for the penalty "conceded" on Sunday against Newcastle :laughing guy:
  • Like 1

Unrelated, but I see your boy Lewandowski won PoY . . .

• Like 2

Unrelated, but I see your boy Lewandowski won PoY . . .

Yes indeed, well deserved. How do you see Liverpool playing Ajax and Atalanta? This is one of the groups of death in my mind.

Good start against Maccabi Haifa. Wonder if Joe Hart has some errors planned, or if we`ll just make it easy for a change and control the game.

That`ll be a no, then :tsk:

Hockey season's over...or is it? ;)

Good start against Maccabi Haifa. Wonder if Joe Hart has some errors planned, or if we`ll just make it easy for a change and control the game.

Well, I have no idea. Is there a limbo dancer emoji for things going over my head? 5-2, I guess that`s your point :hockey:
  • Like 1

Well, I have no idea. Is there a limbo dancer emoji for things going over my head? 5-2, I guess that`s your point :hockey:

7-2 is a better point. :wacko:
  • Like 1

:chickendance: LEGIA WARSAW ELIMINATED FROM EUROPA LEAGUE :chickendance:

Maybe a list of your approved clubs could help me - do you have any specific club affiliations, or just a wide interest in all leagues? I take little more than a passing interest in anything other than the major European leagues and don`t know which clubs I should like, for example, in Poland :huh:
  • Like 1

Maybe a list of your approved clubs could help me - do you have any specific club affiliations, or just a wide interest in all leagues? I take little more than a passing interest in anything other than the major European leagues and don`t know which clubs I should like, for example, in Poland :huh:

I'm a Cracow man, so I support the teams from that city, especially Wisla and Cracovia. I also follow the fortunes of clubs outside of Poland, that have Polish players on their rosters (Bayern, Napoli and so on) But I wouldn't give a second thought about Bayern if Lewandowski wasn't playing there. Still, I think you're doing the right thing watching the major leagues. There's a lot of poor quality in the rest of Europe that you needn't bother with. Cup competitions give you proof of that year after year.

I'm a Cracow man, so I support the teams from that city, especially Wisla and Cracovia. I also follow the fortunes of clubs outside of Poland, that have Polish players on their rosters (Bayern, Napoli and so on) But I wouldn't give a second thought about Bayern if Lewandowski wasn't playing there. Still, I think you're doing the right thing watching the major leagues. There's a lot of poor quality in the rest of Europe that you needn't bother with. Cup competitions give you proof of that year after year.

I wanted to avoid looking elitist :unsure:
  • Like 1

That's all right. Maybe if FDR&co didn't give half of Europe to the Soviets after WWII, the East would've been a little more competitive in football. ;)
  • Like 1

That's all right. Maybe if FDR&co didn't give half of Europe to the Soviets after WWII, the East would've been a little more competitive in football. ;)

It`s definitely the worst thing about WWII :codger:
  • Like 1

Vinicius to Tottenham. That's the end of Milik's hopes of joining Spurs. Fiorentina and Everton the next two options...

I don`t know much about Vinicius, although I quite like saying his name. Very tinny word.
  • Like 1