The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

I`m finding the Champions League extremely boring without Spurs in it. Just like I always used to feel about it, when we were nowhere near reaching it. Who knew I was so shallow!

I think it's normal to show less interest in a competition where your team is not involved. Even if it's a sport you enjoy watching.

There must be plenty whom watch the competition without a personal interest though, or the finances would crash and burn. I think I want the English teams to fail and they don`t normally do that until later. Perhaps I`ll pick it back up at QF stage when Utd lose to Barca, Chelsea to Juve etc.
  • Like 1

I`m finding the Champions League extremely boring without Spurs in it. Just like I always used to feel about it, when we were nowhere near reaching it. Who knew I was so shallow!

I think it's normal to show less interest in a competition where your team is not involved. Even if it's a sport you enjoy watching.

There must be plenty whom watch the competition without a personal interest though, or the finances would crash and burn. I think I want the English teams to fail and they don`t normally do that until later. Perhaps I`ll pick it back up at QF stage when Utd lose to Barca, Chelsea to Juve etc.

I think you answered your first sentence. A lot of people are watching to see a team lose rather than win. :P
  • Like 1

In a way, I'm glad Spurs lost today. Obviously, Antwerp is your toughest opponent in the group. Put your best out at the start of the game. :wtf:

There`s a lot of sense in being bloody terrible if you must lose. Nobody enjoys the injustice of a good performance that goes unrewarded :fuckinputer:
  • Like 1

Liverpool is looking to snatch David Alaba from Bayern during the winter break. Lewandowski would lose a rival at taking free kicks. :ebert:

I think he would be a good buy for Liverpool.
  • Like 1

Liverpool is looking to snatch David Alaba from Bayern during the winter break. Lewandowski would lose a rival at taking free kicks. :ebert:

I think it`d put some serious pressure on Robertson (unless Alaba played further up the pitch or could be used more centrally).
  • Like 2

I think it`d put some serious pressure on Robertson (unless Alaba played further up the pitch or could be used more centrally).

Bayern has tried to re-sign him three times. No dice. Alaba has been playing as a central defender lately, and for Austria, he was even tested as a forward.
  • Like 1

He seems pretty versatile in terms of position
  • Like 1

He's made some mistakes on D in the last little while, though. It could be a red flag there.
  • Like 1

He's made some mistakes on D in the last little while, though. It could be a red flag there.

So he could fit in with Gomez and Adrian?
  • Like 1

There's also some talk about plan B, which is Dayot Upamecano who plays for RB Leipzig, but I think Man U asked some questions about that possibility this week. ;)
  • Like 1

:LMAO:

Just heard on the news this evening that Nobby Stiles, a member of the England 1966 World Cup winning team died today.

A fiercely competitive midfielder who played in an era when football was a real man's game and not like today's battalions of 'big jessies' who prance around the pitch.

RIP Nobby Stiles.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 2

Just heard on the news this evening that Nobby Stiles, a member of the England 1966 World Cup winning team died today.

A fiercely competitive midfielder who played in an era when football was a real man's game and not like today's battalions of 'big jessies' who prance around the pitch.

RIP Nobby Stiles.

A few of those members have died recently. Very sad.
  • Like 1

RIP Nobby Stiles.

A few of those members have died recently. Very sad.

I think there are only 2 or 3 still living. I was 8 when England won the world cup. In N.Ireland our domestic leagues are all part time players, so we tend to follow the English & Scottish leagues.

These guys were all legends when I was growing up.

Edited by zepphead
  • Like 1

Iceland ends its season early because of you-know-what. :eyeroll: Your champion is Valur.

Good for Valur, they were well ahead. Interesting that they manage a full league - when England played Iceland in Euro 2016, much was made of their small population, equivalent to a moderately-sized English city (300,000 ish), of which 50% were women and a further amount either too old or too young or too enfeebled or stuck on a fishing boat, resulting in you having about a 1 in 75 chance of being picked for the international side providing you were on dry land, had two legs and were aged somewhere between 18 and 35. My statistics are made up, but you get the point.
  • Like 2

Iceland ends its season early because of you-know-what. :eyeroll: Your champion is Valur.

Good for Valur, they were well ahead. Interesting that they manage a full league - when England played Iceland in Euro 2016, much was made of their small population, equivalent to a moderately-sized English city (300,000 ish), of which 50% were women and a further amount either too old or too young or too enfeebled or stuck on a fishing boat, resulting in you having about a 1 in 75 chance of being picked for the international side providing you were on dry land, had two legs and were aged somewhere between 18 and 35. My statistics are made up, but you get the point.

Somehow I knew you were going to mention Euro 2016. ;)
  • Like 1

I know my opinion was unpopular at the time, but I thought that match was pretty funny. My love of Scandinavian things meant I was quite fond of Iceland (and I`m calling Iceland part of Scandinavia, for the sake of argument).
  • Like 1

I know my opinion was unpopular at the time, but I thought that match was pretty funny. My love of Scandinavian things meant I was quite fond of Iceland (and I`m calling Iceland part of Scandinavia, for the sake of argument).

I remember the TV commentator for Iceland had a funny voice during that game.

Do you get your own Yankee commentators, or a British/Euro feed? Because we have a rotten crop of commentators right now. They are a slow-witted, shouty bunch.
  • Like 1

Do you get your own Yankee commentators, or a British/Euro feed? Because we have a rotten crop of commentators right now. They are a slow-witted, shouty bunch.

I watch everything on LiveTV.ru. You can even pick a commentator from Bulgaria if you want.
  • Like 1