The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

Iceland ends its season early because of you-know-what. :eyeroll: Your champion is Valur.

Good for Valur, they were well ahead. Interesting that they manage a full league - when England played Iceland in Euro 2016, much was made of their small population, equivalent to a moderately-sized English city (300,000 ish), of which 50% were women and a further amount either too old or too young or too enfeebled or stuck on a fishing boat, resulting in you having about a 1 in 75 chance of being picked for the international side providing you were on dry land, had two legs and were aged somewhere between 18 and 35. My statistics are made up, but you get the point.

Somehow I knew you were going to mention Euro 2016. ;)

I know my opinion was unpopular at the time, but I thought that match was pretty funny. My love of Scandinavian things meant I was quite fond of Iceland (and I`m calling Iceland part of Scandinavia, for the sake of argument).

I remember the TV commentator for Iceland had a funny voice during that game.

Do you get your own Yankee commentators, or a British/Euro feed? Because we have a rotten crop of commentators right now. They are a slow-witted, shouty bunch.

I watch everything on LiveTV.ru. You can even pick a commentator from Bulgaria if you want.

I`m picturing a chesty blonde Bulgarian, so yes, I`d like that. But I suspect the reality is a moustachioed, burly ex-communist with the figure of a nightclub bouncer.
  • Like 2

Iceland ends its season early because of you-know-what. :eyeroll: Your champion is Valur.

Good for Valur, they were well ahead. Interesting that they manage a full league - when England played Iceland in Euro 2016, much was made of their small population, equivalent to a moderately-sized English city (300,000 ish), of which 50% were women and a further amount either too old or too young or too enfeebled or stuck on a fishing boat, resulting in you having about a 1 in 75 chance of being picked for the international side providing you were on dry land, had two legs and were aged somewhere between 18 and 35. My statistics are made up, but you get the point.

I know my opinion was unpopular at the time, but I thought that match was pretty funny. My love of Scandinavian things meant I was quite fond of Iceland (and I`m calling Iceland part of Scandinavia, for the sake of argument).

Do you get your own Yankee commentators, or a British/Euro feed? Because we have a rotten crop of commentators right now. They are a slow-witted, shouty bunch.

I watch everything on LiveTV.ru. You can even pick a commentator from Bulgaria if you want.

I`m picturing a chesty blonde Bulgarian, so yes, I`d like that. But I suspect the reality is a moustachioed, burly ex-communist with the figure of a nightclub bouncer.

You can always choose the German feed, "the language of love."
  • Like 2

Their lilting soft consonants would lull me to sleep and I`d miss the game.
  • Like 2

What about French or Dutch? Too much spitting?
  • Like 2

If ever there was a right time and place for something as gross as spitting, can anything beat this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbb_lKd5mlo

Edited by IbanezJem
  • Like 1

If ever there was a right time and place for something as gross as spitting, can anything beat this?

I remember rooting for Germany that year. I was glad they came out on top in the end.
  • Like 1

I remember rooting for Germany that year. I was glad they came out on top in the end.

I think any Brit would have got badly beaten if cheering for Germany (most wounds have healed now and I think we`re allowed to support teams based on who we like now). Not only that, but a close friend at the time was born in Holland, and his father played for Go Ahead Eagles in the Eredivision in the 70s... so we were all obliged to support the men in orange.
  • Like 1

Interesting. Watching Utd vs Arsenal, I find myself wanting Arsenal to score. I feel a little unclean.

Pogba the provider. Bellerin looks like Beardsley after a visit to the barber shop.

Interesting. Watching Utd vs Arsenal, I find myself wanting Arsenal to score. I feel a little unclean.

Pogba the provider. Bellerin looks like Beardsley after a visit to the barber shop.

Let`s hope Bellerin is a better tutor to younger players from ethnic backgrounds than your lookalike was...

Let`s hope Bellerin is a better tutor to younger players from ethnic backgrounds than your lookalike was...

I thought he was the fifth Beatle. :ph34r:
  • Like 1

Solskjaer's position is looking a bit tenuous now. Personally I hope he stays so that he can keep Utd. all the way down there where they belong lol!
  • Like 1

Solskjaer's position is looking a bit tenuous now. Personally I hope he stays so that he can keep Utd. all the way down there where they belong lol!

Pochettino is the MNF studio guest tonight. Coincidence? I think not!
  • Like 1

Klich is not having a great night so far, nor Bamford or Koch. Plenty of time for the Leeds comeback.

I think Klich got a secendary assist on that goal by Dallas. :LOL:

He nearly had an assist for Vardy with an unusual backwards header.

Klich is not having a great night so far, nor Bamford or Koch. Plenty of time for the Leeds comeback.

Bamford should not have slowed down on that chance. It's like he was afraid of Schmeichel.

Bamford should not have slowed down on that chance. It's like he was afraid of Schmeichel.

Game over. :moon:

Plenty of time to score three more... oh, no Leeds aren`t playing Spurs :facepalm:
  • Like 2

Plenty of time to score three more... oh, no Leeds aren`t playing Spurs :facepalm:

A good performance from Leicester - the early goal was massive for them.
  • Like 2

Bamford really should have scored ten seconds before. Cruel league!
  • Like 1

I didn't see the first half, but with the way Leeds was constantly on the attack in the second 45, I find a 4-1 final a bit hard to accept.
  • Like 2

Bamford really should have scored ten seconds before. Cruel league!

Indeed! It would have an entirely different game. Gotta take your chances.
  • Like 2

I didn't see the first half, but with the way Leeds was constantly on the attack in the second 45, I find a 4-1 final a bit hard to accept.

I think by half-time the damage was done. Although I agree that 4-1 somewhat flattered Leicester.
  • Like 1