The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

Legia 0 Cracovia 0 :madra: I was expecting a 5-0 loss so I'm happy.

Any notable highlights, except for the final whistle securing the draw?

A fine return to the goal for Hrosso. He made a few great saves. Perhaps a desperate decision made by the manager Probierz, trying to mix things up after the last disappointing results and looking to save his job. He might put the other goalkeeper Niemczycki on the bench for a while. Still no spark up front, although four shots on target in a game like this is respectable.
  • Like 1

Atalanta - Juventus 1 - 0. Phew, what a game! I thought my heart was going to fail at around 86' with Malinovskyi's killer shot, just a moment before he at 87' hit another one that Szczęsny could not save.

I`m sure Juve have made an absolute mess of things. Allegri`s sackable offences were winning the Scudetto every year and getting close but no cigar to winning the CL.

Atalanta still playing the brand of football that would have Italian purists tearing their hair out (ie. fluid, attacking)?

• Like 2

This European Super League chatter seems to have caused a few to slip into apoplexy in the UK. Sounds decidedly pointless and ugly. Not completely sure what I feel about it in its entirety as I`ve not seen or heard any calm analysis or details yet, except that the line-up guarantees a nice varnished wooden spoon to put in the empty trophy cabinet at the Tottenham Stadium.
  • Like 1

Legia 0 Cracovia 0 :madra: I was expecting a 5-0 loss so I'm happy.

Any notable highlights, except for the final whistle securing the draw?

A fine return to the goal for Hrosso. He made a few great saves. Perhaps a desperate decision made by the manager Probierz, trying to mix things up after the last disappointing results and looking to save his job. He might put the other goalkeeper Niemczycki on the bench for a while. Still no spark up front, although four shots on target in a game like this is respectable.

I remember when my team used to have four shots in a game :codger:
  • Like 2

This European Super League chatter seems to have caused a few to slip into apoplexy in the UK. Sounds decidedly pointless and ugly. Not completely sure what I feel about it in its entirety as I`ve not seen or heard any calm analysis or details yet, except that the line-up guarantees a nice varnished wooden spoon to put in the empty trophy cabinet at the Tottenham Stadium.

Germany and France are not going along with the idea. UEFA plans to ban all the participants in Super League from European competitions, including not allowing players from those teams to compete for their national squads. I'd say this thing is DOA.
  • Like 3

Germany and France are not going along with the idea. UEFA plans to ban all the participants in Super League from European competitions, including not allowing players from those teams to compete for their national squads. I'd say this thing is DOA.

I`m guessing Bayern would like a taste but would face a proper revolt. PSG I`m unsure about... they would very much want to be included, but again, the average Parisian - if I may stereotype horribly - does seem to enjoy setting fire to things.
  • Like 2

I`m guessing Bayern would like a taste but would face a proper revolt. PSG I`m unsure about... they would very much want to be included, but again, the average Parisian - if I may stereotype horribly - does seem to enjoy setting fire to things.

But if FIFA bans these players from World Cups and UEFA from EUROs, can you imagine the pressure coming from the federations not to have their national stars signing with these clubs? Unless they decide to settle on the 50-60 billion from JP Morgan. Either way, I don't like it.
  • Like 2

Atalanta - Juventus 1 - 0. Phew, what a game! I thought my heart was going to fail at around 86' with Malinovskyi's killer shot, just a moment before he at 87' hit another one that Szczęsny could not save.

I`m sure Juve have made an absolute mess of things. Allegri`s sackable offences were winning the Scudetto every year and getting close but no cigar to winning the CL.

Atalanta still playing the brand of football that would have Italian purists tearing their hair out (ie. fluid, attacking)?

:lol: Yes she is. 72 goals scored against 38 so far. The risk of keeping your lines high has it's downsides but Atalanta's defence is based on man-to-man marking in the whole field, and it has paid off pretty nicely. La Dea has in the recent three years shown that football can be played without being afraid of risks...

• Like 2

I see Spurs have just sacked Mourinho. The timing seems a bit strange but he never seemed to be a settled commodity at Tottenham.
  • Like 2

So much news, so little time:

Mourinho: Burning out or fading away?

Super League: odious, selfish, shitty cash grab and I applaud all the bodies for threatening to ban players from all other competitions -- but will they? I'm against it, you see.

C'mon, LFC! Let's see if can keep Leeds to something less than four goals today, mmmm?

• Like 2

Super League: odious, selfish, shitty cash grab and I applaud all the bodies for threatening to ban players from all other competitions -- but will they? I'm against it, you see.

C'mon, LFC! Let's see if can keep Leeds to something less than four goals today, mmmm?

It's all about the cash. I cannot see anything good coming from it.
  • Like 1

Well, I came back from my first vaccination to the Mourinho news. There`s a saying I like to apply to most things I do in my life - "You can`t judge the value of an idea purely by its results". It comes in very handy when things go horribly wrong, as a elevated form of excuse.

If you sack a manager because he didn`t win anything, and the most trophy-laden coach is available (available because he may not have the magic anymore, but you figure he`ll want to show everyone he`s still got it), you are almost obliged to hire him. I like Jose but it was listless football recently, and free of any discernible style of play. That`s no good, after Poch had defined our strategy and had players to suit, now we`re a mess again with a goodish attacking squad but no defence - we may as well play more fluidly as we will always concede. I`ve never thought of my club as potential champions, I just want them to play nicely.

Dear Mr Bielsa :heart: ..?

• Like 2

Well, I came back from my first vaccination to the Mourinho news. There`s a saying I like to apply to most things I do in my life - "You can`t judge the value of an idea purely by its results". It comes in very handy when things go horribly wrong, as a elevated form of excuse.

If you sack a manager because he didn`t win anything, and the most trophy-laden coach is available (available because he may not have the magic anymore, but you figure he`ll want to show everyone he`s still got it), you are almost obliged to hire him. I like Jose but it was listless football recently, and free of any discernible style of play. That`s no good, after Poch had defined our strategy and had players to suit, now we`re a mess again with a goodish attacking squad but no defence - we may as well play more fluidly as we will always concede. I`ve never thought of my club as potential champions, I just want them to play nicely.

Its been a funny old day what with the sacking and the news of a potential Euro super league.
  • Like 2

But would he leave a big club like Leeds for Spurs? :outtahere:

A turbulent three days at Spurs would fit so perfectly on his CV. I take no umbrage at your remark - it's not untrue, as you may see tonight!
  • Like 2

UK Government has just cast the first big blow against the Greedy Bastards.

Boris Johnson`s Tory party to protect against capitalist greed and pledges to save the national game for the working man.

In other news, a million satirists were made redundant.

Boris Johnson`s Tory party to protect against capitalist greed and pledges to save the national game for the working man.

I get it but clearly they know the voter sensitivity at stake.

I don`t see a lot of fans of football in the cabinet, but I understand they are concerned about the fragility of their red wall heist. I`d be happier leaving things to Gary Neville - it`s just so hard to believe anything genuine comes from Downing Street.
  • Like 1

It's all about the cash. I cannot see anything good coming from it.

And what would happen to all the youth academies when less and less money would come in the non-Super League teams. All in all, the whole idea of a Super League for me seems like a sure way to ruin quality junior work, player potential and versatility. Super League would also for the most part narrow down the possibilities of surprises that have been one of the major interests in UCL.

Edited by Sun & Moon
  • Like 2

Are there any Conservative politicians left in Western Europe? :P The people in this thread seem to agree. The only ones in favor of this monstrosity are the organizers and a handful of clubs. Let's say, for the sake of argument, things stay as they are. Egypt without Salah, England without Kane...good Lord, we'd be stuck with Fabianski. :o
  • Like 2

Are there any Conservative politicians left in Western Europe? :P The people in this thread seem to agree. The only ones in favor of this monstrosity are the organizers and a handful of clubs. Let's say, for the sake of argument, things stay as they are. Egypt without Salah, England without Kane...good Lord, we'd be stuck with Fabianski. :o

There are plenty in the UK, upholding their traditional values of cronyism, nationalism, sleaze, under-funding of schools and hospitals, igniting division and hatred and thwarting social mobility - oh, they are still around, don`t worry about that :rage:
  • Like 2

There are plenty in the UK, upholding their traditional values of cronyism, nationalism, sleaze, under-funding of schools and hospitals, igniting division and hatred and thwarting social mobility - oh, they are still around, don`t worry about that :rage:

Shouldn't you be in favor of the Super League, then? That would put a dent in at least "nationalism", destroying international competition in football. ;)

I don`t see a lot of fans of football in the cabinet, but I understand they are concerned about the fragility of their red wall heist. I`d be happier leaving things to Gary Neville - it`s just so hard to believe anything genuine comes from Downing Street.

It’s not genuine, rather it’s about courting the popular vote.

UEFA meeting tomorrow. Main topic: Should Real Madrid, Manchester City and Chelsea be disqualified from CL and replaced by Bayern, FC Porto and Borussia. Things are happening.
  • Like 1