The 2020/2021 Football/Soccer Thread

Nova Carmina

Champions League QF draws are favourable to the English clubs, IMO.

Chelsea vs Porto, Liverpool vs Real, City vs Dortmund - Porto have 1/8 of the wage bill of Chelsea. I don`t fancy modern Real much, even in this competition, as Liverpool seem stronger in Europe than domestically. Haaland aside, City should be the stronger team unless Pep implements one of those formations he sketched whilst in a fever dream.

PSG vs Bayern removes one of the favourites. Poch may struggle to match the quality of Bayern and Mbappe and Neymar, if fit, will probably not be enough. I would be happy for Poch to win it, of course.

Yeah, I was looking at the list and thinking "well, who's left one might be willing to take on?" and I decided . . . it was probably Real (or Porto, maybe). We'll see if LFC's medevac unit of a back line can contain Benzema, et al.

Happy for Poch? That's like watching an ex date a supermodel.

• Like 1

Champions League QF draws are favourable to the English clubs, IMO.

Chelsea vs Porto, Liverpool vs Real, City vs Dortmund - Porto have 1/8 of the wage bill of Chelsea. I don`t fancy modern Real much, even in this competition, as Liverpool seem stronger in Europe than domestically. Haaland aside, City should be the stronger team unless Pep implements one of those formations he sketched whilst in a fever dream.

PSG vs Bayern removes one of the favourites. Poch may struggle to match the quality of Bayern and Mbappe and Neymar, if fit, will probably not be enough. I would be happy for Poch to win it, of course.

Yeah, I was looking at the list and thinking "well, who's left one might be willing to take on?" and I decided . . . it was probably Real (or Porto, maybe). We'll see if LFC's medevac unit of a back line can contain Benzema, et al.

Happy for Poch? That's like watching an ex date a supermodel.

An ex of mine married a Lord (or a similarly-titled very wealthy guy), and was running a fashion company in NY last I knew of her. I think, yeah, I had that :cool:
  • Like 1

Piast 2 Cracovia 0 :moon: And the beat goes on. That's seven games in a row without a win, if I'm not mistaken.

I don`t know if you`ve ever considered supporting another team, one that will reward you? I often wonder how different my life could have been if I`d supported someone else as a young pipsqueak, a successful team and not one that just lifts its skirt and lures you in before saying it has a headache.
  • Like 1

Piast 2 Cracovia 0 :moon: And the beat goes on. That's seven games in a row without a win, if I'm not mistaken.

I don`t know if you`ve ever considered supporting another team, one that will reward you? I often wonder how different my life could have been if I`d supported someone else as a young pipsqueak, a successful team and not one that just lifts its skirt and lures you in before saying it has a headache.

Well, they won the Cup last season, and they're in the semi-finals this time around, so I'm not completely in the dog house. And Cracovia's hockey team is doing well.
  • Like 1

Very well done, Benevento! Bravo Montipò!

A calm win for Atalanta against Hellas Verona. Good to see Malinovskyi and Zapata score.

Sorry to hear today of the passing of footballing great Frank Worthington.

A true entertainer who graced the game from the mid sixties up until the late eighties.

Famously he had signed to join Liverpool in 1972 only to fail the medical. Liverpool's loss was Leicester City's gain. He was definitely 'one that got away' as far as Liverpool are concerned.

RIP Frank.

• Like 3

A true entertainer who graced the game from the mid sixties up until the late eighties.

Famously he had signed to join Liverpool in 1972 only to fail the medical. Liverpool's loss was Leicester City's gain. He was definitely 'one that got away' as far as Liverpool are concerned.

RIP Frank.

Wow, he even played for the hated Tampa Bay Rowdies and was their leading scorer in 1981. :rose:
  • Like 1

RIP Frank.

His career was ending when I was getting into football, but I remember him on Football Focus juggling the ball, slicked thinning hair, seen as one of those entertainers that the "establishment" didn`t know what to do with.
  • Like 1

Well, shall we start the proceedings with Turkey vs Holland on Wednesday, or do you fancy Czech Republic at Estonia?

I shall rely on your pithy minute-by-minute vidiprinter service for all international football played over the next week, as I find non-tournament stuff to be too boring to be of interest :fuckinputer:
  • Like 1

Well, shall we start the proceedings with Turkey vs Holland on Wednesday, or do you fancy Czech Republic at Estonia?

I shall rely on your pithy minute-by-minute vidiprinter service for all international football played over the next week, as I find non-tournament stuff to be too boring to be of interest :fuckinputer:

I just remembered, I have to watch the volleyball Champions League second leg semifinal tomorrow. :P ZAKSA looking to finish the job against the Russians.
  • Like 1

RIP Frank.

His career was ending when I was getting into football, but I remember him on Football Focus juggling the ball, slicked thinning hair, seen as one of those entertainers that the "establishment" didn`t know what to do with.

Yeah ... he was a maverick ..... but always enjoyable to watch.
  • Like 2

I just remembered, I have to watch the volleyball Champions League second leg semifinal tomorrow. :P ZAKSA looking to finish the job against the Russians.

I have rearranged my schedule accordingly :popcorn:
  • Like 1

After volleyball, I will definitely have a look at the Belgium-Wales match, so stay tuned. Btw, Bale is returning to Real after this season and intends to torment the poor Madrid club a little longer.
  • Like 1

After volleyball, I will definitely have a look at the Belgium-Wales match, so stay tuned. Btw, Bale is returning to Real after this season and intends to torment the poor Madrid club a little longer.

He must have found this season a little weird. Getting occasional Mourinho-barbs and not winning very much and the golf courses have been shut all the time he`s been back and he can`t escape abroad... back to the Bernabeu stands for him, for his £600k a week :smoke:
  • Like 1

He must have found this season a little weird. Getting occasional Mourinho-barbs and not winning very much and the golf courses have been shut all the time he`s been back and he can`t escape abroad... back to the Bernabeu stands for him, for his £600k a week :smoke:

And I hear Juventus wants to unload Ronaldo for 25M EURO, and we know CR7 can't wait to be back with Real. Reunited, and it feels so...good?
  • Like 1

And I hear Juventus wants to unload Ronaldo for 25M EURO, and we know CR7 can't wait to be back with Real. Reunited, and it feels so...good?

I think CR7 and Messi are in danger of becoming a weighty, expensive millstone around the neck of their clubs. It is against the playing style of both sides to have the current version of each in their first XI; I wonder if they`ll outstay their welcomes, or accept in a classy fashion the fate that befalls all sportsman?
  • Like 2

I think CR7 and Messi are in danger of becoming a weighty, expensive millstone around the neck of their clubs. It is against the playing style of both sides to have the current version of each in their first XI; I wonder if they`ll outstay their welcomes, or accept in a classy fashion the fate that befalls all sportsman?

Well, they can't go to New York Cosmos anymore. China is an option, but as long as they keep scoring ( Ronaldo I believe leads the scoring in Serie A ) there will always be a lucrative spot for them in Europe.
  • Like 1

Well, they can't go to New York Cosmos anymore. China is an option, but as long as they keep scoring ( Ronaldo I believe leads the scoring in Serie A ) there will always be a lucrative spot for them in Europe.

Yes, CR7 is the top scorer in Serie A at the moment with 23 goals. Lukaku follows with 19, and Atalanta's Muriel is third with 16 goals.

• Like 2

Yes, CR7 is the top scorer in Serie A at the moment with 23 goals. Lukaku follows with 19, and Atalanta's Muriel is third with 16 goals.

Yes, but as I remember Juve signed CR7 to get them out of the cycle of failing in the latter stages of the CL. You could argue he has helped them to stop falling at that hurdle and put a stop to that pesky run of Serie A titles too :oops:
  • Like 1