Ultimate Rock Bands Elimination: Round 15 (8/25/20)

_hi_water._

22 members have voted

1. 1. Immune:

2. 2. Eliminate:

Starting to get down to the 'big hitters' now.

Yes might be vulnerable so my immunise vote is on them.

My guess is Yes will stick it out till the final three or five, long past my personal favorite, Queen, and even longer after another personal favorite, Genesis. Folks around here can only take so much camp.

Good bands ... i will certainly not be voting either of them out.

I voted to drop Deep Purple, Maiden and Queen. Good bands, but not quite as iconic, imo.

Speaking of iconic, in what round do we add The Who?

I don't know in which world Queen isn't among the most iconic bands of all time, but it's certainly not the one I'm living in.

I also voted to oust Deep Purple though. I'm simply not as familiar with their full catalogue and when I listened to In Rock once I didn't really understand why it was so highly regarded.

Do you think Queen makes it into the top ten most iconic bands of all time?

Especially after the massive success of the movie and in full knowledge of the fact that 90% of people my age and younger know and love Bohemian Rhapsody, many regarding it (rightfully) as a masterpiece of music... I'd say yeah. If they weren't there before they're in that top ten now.

EDIT: But I must admit you're asking the most biased source available.

I know I'm asking a very biased source. I think they might fall just outside of the top 10. They're definitely top 20. I see six bands on the voting list above (AC/DC, The Beatles, Zeppelin, Floyd, the Stones and Van Halen) I would put ahead of them. There's a few other bands like The Who, Aerosmith I would put ahead of them too. What about bands like The Doors or Fleetwood Mac? Are they ahead of Queen?

I think it's an interesting discussion.

• Like 1

My guess is Yes will stick it out till the final three or five, long past my personal favorite, Queen, and even longer after another personal favorite, Genesis. Folks around here can only take so much camp.

I voted to drop Deep Purple, Maiden and Queen. Good bands, but not quite as iconic, imo.

I don't know in which world Queen isn't among the most iconic bands of all time, but it's certainly not the one I'm living in.

I also voted to oust Deep Purple though. I'm simply not as familiar with their full catalogue and when I listened to In Rock once I didn't really understand why it was so highly regarded.

Especially after the massive success of the movie and in full knowledge of the fact that 90% of people my age and younger know and love Bohemian Rhapsody, many regarding it (rightfully) as a masterpiece of music... I'd say yeah. If they weren't there before they're in that top ten now.

I know I'm asking a very biased source. I think they might fall just outside of the top 10. They're definitely top 20. I see six bands on the voting list above (AC/DC, The Beatles, Zeppelin, Floyd, the Stones and Van Halen) I would put ahead of them. There's a few other bands like The Who, Aerosmith I would put ahead of them too. What about bands like The Doors or Fleetwood Mac? Are they ahead of Queen?

I think the list has definitely changed over time and been influenced by younger and younger audiences with different perspectives. So for example I don't think Van Halen are really beloved to any degree by younger audiences nowadays. Same for The Doors. These are bands that I just don't think have translated as well to a post 90s world for people who aren't necessarily rock fans but are music fans. There are obvious exceptions, such as myself or Segue, who view them as incredibly iconic. However time provides new icons as well, such as Nirvana, Radiohead, and (like it or not) Green Day. It also reevaluates old ones, so I believe Queen has had one of the greater public and commercial re-appraisals of any of the classic rock bands. Fleetwood Mac are similarly beloved my younger music fans as well as old. Floyd and The Stones I don't think have ever lost their mystique, and AC/DC and The Beatles are still too omnipresent for people not to respect them. Zeppelin I think are more and more often viewed as a "dad-rock" band by the uninitiated, but I rarely hear of people introducing themselves to Led Zeppelin and not immediately gaining a lot of respect for them.

• Like 1

I haven't voted to eliminate "Queen", "Genesis", and "Yes". I know, who I think, and feel should be in the final four, or five. Obviously, there have been more switches, and changes. If there would've been such a competition, then maybe, from round three, I wouldn't have started to do it. It was still early. I've voted.

Immune: Yes

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

Yeah, no one is voting for Zeppelin since they're likely to not have anyone voting to eliminate them.

That’s one way to influence people to vote for their elimination

And just like that, taking immunities into account, there are only two bands with more elimination votes than Zepp. Some are tied though.

• Like 1

If nothing else polls like this generate a lot of healthy debate.

I think that whether you think of a band as iconic or not to a large degree depends on your age (an old codger like me tends to gravitate towards the 'dad rock' bands lol), but it also depends on where you live.

I suspect that there are bands that people here in the UK revere that don't mean as much in US or Canada, and vice versa.

• Like 3

I think that whether you think of a band as iconic or not to a large degree depends on your age (an old codger like me tends to gravitate towards the 'dad rock' bands lol), but it also depends on where you live.

I suspect that there are bands that people here in the UK revere that don't mean as much in US or Canada, and vice versa.

No doubt.

I think the 3 most iconic bands left here are: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Led Zep. Without question

• Like 2

Because it's a very influential album (on hard rock and 80's heavy metal), musically groundbreaking for its time and it has "Child in Time". Iron Maiden and probably Judas Priest are more influenced by "In Rock" than Paranoid or any 70's Sabbath album (Dickinson would confirm that).

Edited by Texas King
  • Like 1

Because it's a very influential album (on hard rock and 80's metal), musically groundbreaking for its time and it has "Child in Time". Iron Maiden and probably Judas Priest are more influenced by "In Rock" than Paranoid or any 70's Sabbath album (Dickinson would confirm that).

Not to mention the great Ritchie Blackmore on lead guitar!
  • Like 1

Because it's a very influential album (on hard rock and 80's metal), musically groundbreaking for its time and it has "Child in Time". Iron Maiden and probably Judas Priest are more influenced by "In Rock" than Paranoid or any 70's Sabbath album (Dickinson would confirm that).

Not to mention the great Ritchie Blackmore on lead guitar!

And Jon Lord on keyboards and (underrated) Paice on drums.

• Like 1

No doubt.

I think the 3 most iconic bands left here are: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Led Zep. Without question

Pink Floyd?

• Like 1

No doubt.

Pink Floyd?

I like Pink Floyd more than these 3 great, iconic bands but yeah, these 3 are more recognized and influential than Pink Floyd, Queen, and anyone else left on here.

• Like 1

Pink Floyd is more of a "bubble" band in terms of being iconic, IMO. Dark Side and The Wall might be iconic albums, but outside of those 2 I'm not sure how much of their work is iconic. Don't get me wrong, I myself like Animals and WYWH, but I don't place their catalog on the same plane with The Beatles' or Zeppelin's. I think the test is how many of a band's albums does the average rock fan HAVE to own?

• Like 1

Pink Floyd is more of a "bubble" band in terms of being iconic, IMO. Dark Side and The Wall might be iconic albums, but outside of those 2 I'm not sure how much of their work is iconic. Don't get me wrong, I myself like Animals and WYWH, but I don't place their catalog on the same plane with The Beatles' or Zeppelin's. I think the test is how many of a band's albums does the average rock fan HAVE to own?

I think it goes further than that though. The average rock fan might only own two or three PF albums, but the average music fan of almost any kind will also own at least one of them, if not both Dark Side and The Wall (own now being a relative term since most people just stream anymore). Dark Side in particular is perhaps one of the most iconic albums of all time, and if you're a college student with any interest in music you're obligated to listen to it many times if you haven't already. So perhaps Floyd don't have the greatest quantity, but the quality of what they do have surpasses most everything else.

• Like 1