Nirvana vs. Green Day

Entre_Perpetuo

which do you prefer?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. bands

2. 2. signature albums

3. 3. other signature albums

Whether true or not, whether deserved or not, there are three albums which are considered to have redirected the course of popular music, or at least sat front and center at the point of demarcation: Sgt Peppers, Never Mind the Bollocks, and Nevermind. This comparison should be more one sided than Custer vs the Sioux. Music critics are often wrong (such as the way they hated on Led Zeppelin through the '70s and most of the '80s, before deciding to fawn over them) but sometimes they are very right, like the way they almost universally praise Nirvana for being genuine art, the way punk could be genuine (Cobain insisted that the grunge label was nonsense, that Nirvana was simply a punk/garage band). But it's not just critics, it's musicians and songwriters such as Patti Smith, Michael Stipe, Annie Clark, etc etc etc.; literally, a simple internet search will find countless musicians who praise Cobain. But Green Day? What a putrid pile of adolescent krahp. Well, whatever, it's all only pop music.

How is Nirvana not also extremely adolescent? And what makes music’s perceived adolescence so bad? To my ears, any punk at all (including The Sex Pistols) has a very youth centric sound and attitude, even if the lyrics venture into politics

ALL rock and pop is adolescent by it's very nature.

Don't agree at all. Most is, sure (certainly most that is marketed), but I could name many artists/bands that are in their '30/'40/'50s, even '60s, making music for other people who overwhelmingly are in the '30s or older. No, or extremely few by comparison, adolescents involved. And the nature of the music isn't at all adolescent. My favorite release of the last year is from my favorite band, three of four of whom are now in their '60s (the younger one replaced one of the original members who left). If one wants to argue they're adolescent would have to explain why all the fans who follow them on their FB pages seem to old-ish dudes (very similar to Rush's fanbase except it doesn't include the younger set to nearly the same degree... hardly at all it seems). I will concede that singer/guitarist describes Wire as "retarded", so maybe they aren't the best example, but whatever.

This shows the old farts still doing it:

p.s. I'm going to see the in D.C. a week from tomorrow. Based on experience, I doubt I'll see many adolescents at all :).

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

Nirvana sucked.

Very overrated. They hit the lottery on the SUB POP Label.

They were good live. Lot's of energy, however when I saw them they were just copycatting The Who. At the end of the show on NYE at The Cow Palace they all smashed their instruments like Pete and Keith did. Not original at all yet entertaining.

I preferred early Soundgarden and Mudhoney on the SUB POP Label. Even some early L7 was good.

• Like 1

Green Day is one of the worst bands on the planet. JMO

Good for them for stealing everyone's money and becoming rich pop punk posers. They are the worst.

Even I bought "American Idiot." A ultra liberal attempt at some shitty concept album. I returned it after one listening. Dreadful pop.

Green Day is one of the worst bands on the planet. JMO

Good for them for stealing everyone's money and becoming rich pop punk posers. They are the worst.

Even I bought "American Idiot." A ultra liberal attempt at some shitty concept album. I returned it after one listening. Dreadful pop.

You've got to stop dropping money on bands you don't like. Seriously lol.

Ooooof...

This was close, so close...but Nirvana win all three this round for me

I see you’ve dredged up like 3 Nirvana threads today, Hi Water. Were you looking to make one of your own?

I hope he does make a poll with Nirvana in it. That way I have a chance to vote against them again.

i dunno why.....every time you say that it gives me a laugh. i don't like nirvana but i love how you actively enjoy voting against them, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Nirvana by far......Green Day had precious little Punk about them.....Nirvana transcended that and were an unbelievable band.

IMO Kurt was the last great Rockstar we have had and possessed the "X factor" in spades.

You just have to watch the unplugged sessions on MTV to see that...stellar stuff.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 2