On 3/17/2024 at 2:44 PM, Turbine Freight said:

I know no-one on here will want to hear this, but Saxon blasted Judas Priest off the stage in Leeds.

If that is the case, and I'm not saying, nor will I admit to anything like that because I wouldn't think that, maybe, with Saxon, on the same bill as Judas Priest, they are, or were trying to perform at the same level as them.  It does seem like a logical reason, and explanation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Derek19 said:

If that is the case, and I'm not saying, nor will I admit to anything like that because I wouldn't think that, maybe, with Saxon, on the same bill as Judas Priest, they are, or were trying to perform at the same level as them.  It does seem like a logical reason, and explanation.

Saxon are such a special band to me. Not sure why being slightly less than other bands is cause to dismiss them. They may not have an abundance of 10's, but they have a huge number of terrific 8's. 

I'm glad they are doing great with Priest. Because they are not newbies.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2024 at 3:11 PM, The Analog Cub said:

I've decided to give Priest a proper discography run. Will take me a while given the size but you gotta start somewhere.

Rocka Rolla is better than I remember it being. It's not the Priest I know, but for 70s hard rock it's surprisingly solid, at least the first couple tracks and Diamonds and Rust.

Sin After Sin is where things really start to take off for me. I know SWOD is a popular one but despite its importance, it's too much of a Queen imitation to me. Too much of the 70s cheese in these first few.

On 3/17/2024 at 8:22 PM, treeduck said:

Have you seen the Epitaph DVD? That's a good one as well, better really.

I have it around here someplace.  Been a few years since I watched it but I sort of remember that it had a killer set list but that somehow it just did not match up to the energy on either Rising in the East or Battle Cry.  In fact, I would say that I recall thinking at that point that they were in decline and a legacy band that was mostly done.  Seem to recall I thought it was decent but not Rising in the East.  Not close.  I picked up Battle Cry as sort of a "well, let me give this a shot."  I had actually not picked up the album that they were supporting.  I was blown away - esp. during Ritchie Faulkners solo during  "You've Got Another Thing Coming".  I remember Rob introducing him at the end of the solo to the Wacken crowed and being like "Who is this guy?  The reincarnation of Randy Rhodes?  Holy spit!  I need to watch this again (and again and again and again)"  Thats when I realized Priest had something left and I needed to pick up the album they were supporting.

I am listening to my entire record / CD / DVD collection as I unpack it following my move but mostly only listen to it when I work from home so it may take several more years for me to get through everything.  One of these days I will work my way back to it and give it another viewing.

16 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

I have it around here someplace.  Been a few years since I watched it but I sort of remember that it had a killer set list but that somehow it just did not match up to the energy on either Rising in the East or Battle Cry.  In fact, I would say that I recall thinking at that point that they were in decline and a legacy band that was mostly done.  Seem to recall I thought it was decent but not Rising in the East.  Not close.  I picked up Battle Cry as sort of a "well, let me give this a shot."  I had actually not picked up the album that they were supporting.  I was blown away - esp. during Ritchie Faulkners solo during  "You've Got Another Thing Coming".  I remember Rob introducing him at the end of the solo to the Wacken crowed and being like "Who is this guy?  The reincarnation of Randy Rhodes?  Holy spit!  I need to watch this again (and again and again and again)"  Thats when I realized Priest had something left and I needed to pick up the album they were supporting.

I am listening to my entire record / CD / DVD collection as I unpack it following my move but mostly only listen to it when I work from home so it may take several more years for me to get through everything.  One of these days I will work my way back to it and give it another viewing.

One thing I would say about Epitaph, Faulkner did some stuff that was a little bit too like Zakk Wylde at times. It was his first Priest tour so maybe he wasn't quite on point at that stage.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 11:29 PM, TheAccountant said:

That was the impression I got from some youtube videos I watched.  Not a knock on Priest but Saxon was just very good.

Let's say you won a Judas Priest competition and the prize was you could pick the whole setlist for a special gig that you also won a ticket for. You can pick any song in the Priest catalogue and don't have to worry about hits or setlist favourites, it's a going to be a 20 song setlist. It's 3 months before the gig so there's plenty of time for the band to rehearse all your song choices and once they get your setlist the fans are informed in advance so that anyone who absolutely has to hear Breaking the Law or You've Got Another Thing Coming doesn't have to come. So the whole audience at the gig bought a ticket knowing what songs were chosen and you don't have to worry about picking obscure songs or whatever. So bearing all that in mind what would your 20 song setlist be?

9 hours ago, The Analog Cub said:

Sin After Sin is where things really start to take off for me. I know SWOD is a popular one but despite its importance, it's too much of a Queen imitation to me. Too much of the 70s cheese in these first few.

Sin After Sin is my favourite!

Sad Wings...I feel it's overrated. The songs have power live, but I honestly prefer Rocka Rolla

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Analog Cub said:

That Queen imitation is exactly what makes it so special to me, lol. Judas Priest might have been the very first band in history to attempt to copy Queen’s style and infuse it with their own, and honestly it’s approached so lovingly and yet with so much of Priest’s own muscle and flavor that I don’t find it a ripoff at all.

21 hours ago, treeduck said:

Let's say you won a Judas Priest competition and the prize was you could pick the whole setlist for a special gig that you also won a ticket for. You can pick any song in the Priest catalogue and don't have to worry about hits or setlist favourites, it's a going to be a 20 song setlist. It's 3 months before the gig so there's plenty of time for the band to rehearse all your song choices and once they get your setlist the fans are informed in advance so that anyone who absolutely has to hear Breaking the Law or You've Got Another Thing Coming doesn't have to come. So the whole audience at the gig bought a ticket knowing what songs were chosen and you don't have to worry about picking obscure songs or whatever. So bearing all that in mind what would your 20 song setlist be?

Thats very hard!!!  I have never sat down and figured it out for Rush, who I like more than Priest, much less even thought of trying it for Priest.  Well, I will give it a shot.

To start the show we will have:

The Hellion

Electric Eye

Heading Out To The Highway

Those 3 were easy picks and easy to place at the start of the show.  After that I am not certain of the order but the remaining 17 songs would include:

Breaking The Law

Beyond The Realms of Death

Diamonds and Rust

Turbo Lover

Victim of Changes

Devils Child

You've Got Another Thing Coming

The Free Manalishi (with the two pronged crown)

Giants in The Sky

Sons of Thunder

Crown of Horns

Never The Hero's

No Surrender

Blood Red Skies

Dragonaut

Judas Rising

United

That gets me to 20.  Might be very mellow for some folks.  Yes, I included You've Got Another Thing Coming and Breaking The Law but why not?  I like them.  No Hell Bent For Leather is painful - that was the hardest song (followed by Ripper, Hell and Back and all of the rest of the Screaming for Vengeance album, followed by the rest of British Steel) to leave out.

What about you?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Thats very hard!!!  I have never sat down and figured it out for Rush, who I like more than Priest, much less even thought of trying it for Priest.  Well, I will give it a shot.

To start the show we will have:

The Hellion

Electric Eye

Heading Out To The Highway

Those 3 were easy picks and easy to place at the start of the show.  After that I am not certain of the order but the remaining 17 songs would include:

Breaking The Law

Beyond The Realms of Death

Diamonds and Rust

Turbo Lover

Victim of Changes

Devils Child

You've Got Another Thing Coming

The Free Manalishi (with the two pronged crown)

Giants in The Sky

Sons of Thunder

Crown of Horns

Never The Hero's

No Surrender

Blood Red Skies

Dragonaut

Judas Rising

United

That gets me to 20.  Might be very mellow for some folks.  Yes, I included You've Got Another Thing Coming and Breaking The Law but why not?  I like them.  No Hell Bent For Leather is painful - that was the hardest song (followed by Ripper, Hell and Back and all of the rest of the Screaming for Vengeance album, followed by the rest of British Steel) to leave out.

What about you?

Nice! 

This is what I came up with now off the top of my head, I think this might be 25 so I've totally broken my own rules ha ha!

Dragonaut

The Serpent and the King

Freewheel Burning

Riding on the Wind

You Don't Have to Be Old to Be Wise

Heading Out to the Highway

Worth Fighting For

Crown of Horns

Flame Thrower

Delivering the Goods

Dissident Aggressor

Running Wild

The Sentinel

Rising from Ruins

Invincible Shield

The Ripper

Sinner

Beyond the Realms of Death

Spectre

Demonizer

White Heat, Red Hot

Blood Red Skies

Victim of Changes

Desert Plains

Living After Midnight

Edited by treeduck
cause I'm stupid!
  • Like 1

In the fake progressive metal / arena rock band that's been living in my head for the last 35 years Hellion/Electric Eye and Riding on the Wind are our opening songs more often than not.  Never recorded as studio covers, we just play em'. 

Just saying.... those songs to me above all others are my favorite metal tracks. 

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

Reedemer of Souls WAS the best Priest album since Painkiller, then Fire Power WAS the best Priest album since Painkiller. Now, Invincible Shield is the best Priest album since Painkiller.  Richie has really proven his worth to Priest and is the most valuable late-comer to a legacy band I can think of.  Hail Priest!

• Like 2

Treeduck (Pat), Accountant, and anyone else, who are interested in this.  If I was to put together a twenty-twenty-five Judas Priest's setlist, after some thought, I would have these songs.  For a complete to it, I included three more, extra encores.  From "Jugulator", and "Demolition", I didn't have any songs because Rob Halford wasn't the lead singer on them.  I'll do an Iron Maiden one next, too.

Blood Red Skies

Out In the Cold

Nostradamus

Invincible Shield

Desert Plains

Worth Fighting For

Angel

Redeemer of Souls

the Serpent and the King

Stained Class

Let Us Prey/Call For the Priest

Crown of Horns

Firepower

Painkiller

Run of the Mill

Victim of Changes

Killing Machine/Hell Bent For Leather

Heavy Duty/Defenders of the Faith

Screaming For Vengeance

You've Got Another Thing Comin'

Breaking the Law

Living After Midnight

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 7:04 AM, Derek19 said:

Treeduck (Pat), Accountant, and anyone else, who are interested in this.  If I was to put together a twenty-twenty-five Judas Priest's setlist, after some thought, I would have these songs.  For a complete to it, I included three more, extra encores.  From "Jugulator", and "Demolition", I didn't have any songs because Rob Halford wasn't the lead singer on them.  Maybe, I should try to do an Iron Maiden one next, too.

Blood Red Skies

Out In the Cold

Nostradamus

Invincible Shield

Desert Plains

Worth Fighting For

Angel

Redeemer of Souls

the Serpent and the King

Stained Class

Crown of Horns

Firepower

Painkiller

Run of the Mill

Victim of Changes

Screaming For Vengeance

Breaking the Law

Living After Midnight

It's a great set list. Nice.   Only change I'd make is to swap out Heavy/Defenders with Hellion/Electric Eye

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 7:04 AM, Derek19 said:

Treeduck (Pat), Accountant, and anyone else, who are interested in this.  If I was to put together a twenty-twenty-five Judas Priest's setlist, after some thought, I would have these songs.  For a complete to it, I included three more, extra encores.  From "Jugulator", and "Demolition", I didn't have any songs because Rob Halford wasn't the lead singer on them.  Maybe, I should try to do an Iron Maiden one next, too.

Blood Red Skies

Out In the Cold

Nostradamus

Invincible Shield

Desert Plains

Worth Fighting For

Angel

Redeemer of Souls

the Serpent and the King

Stained Class

Crown of Horns

Firepower

Painkiller

Run of the Mill

Victim of Changes

Screaming For Vengeance

Breaking the Law

Living After Midnight

That a good list.  I looked at your list, Treeduck's list and mine and their is obvious overlap (e.g Beyond The Realms of Death) but then there are songs where their is no overlap (e.g - you have Nostradamus both Treeduck & I passed on, Treeduck has Riding on The Wind which neither of us has and I have Devils Child which the 2 of you passed on).  Says a lot about Priest that you can have 3 different lists with some overlap but a lot of differences and they would all be excellent set lists.  Might be more overlap but I stuck to the 20 song Treeduck proposed originally.

Would be interested what you Maiden list would be like.