On 10/13/2023 at 8:06 AM, treeduck said:

…. I was just thinking, how does it compare to all the other Priest opening tracks (Halford Era)?  

• Like 1

Just now, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

…. I was just thinking, how does it compare to all the other Priest opening tracks (Halford Era)?  

🤔TD : What’s your opinion on the 

Non-Rob era ? 

Just now, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

🤔TD : What’s your opinion on the 

Non-Rob era ? 

It's poor by comparison. There's a few decent songs like Cathedral Spires but the overall quality just isn't there, and the melodic content is bad. Seems almost like amateur hour in terms of song writing. Clearly Halford brings a huge amount to the table in terms of song writing. Ripper Owens has some big lungs but has a whiny tone and no style of his own, which he still really hasn't developed to this day.

6 minutes ago, Alex’s Amazing Arpeggios said:

I'm still formulating my thoughts on this. :wave:

• Like 1

How can such molten metal also sound so polished???!!!!

That song is fantastic!  Expectations exceeded.  Wow.

And yeah...there's a huge painkiller vibe there.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, grep said:

How can such molten metal also sound so polished???!!!!

That song is fantastic!  Expectations exceeded.  Wow.

And yeah...there's a huge painkiller vibe there.

What other songs or albums does it make you think of?

8 minutes ago, treeduck said:

What other songs or albums does it make you think of?

The synth guitar thing is so Turbo. The Tom Sawyer riff - that's what he must've been talking about when he said that 'it's not prog like Rush', LOL.

Besised the synthy intro and the painkiller sound, the only other thing I hear is just that classic Priest sound in general.

What do you hear?

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, grep said:

The synth guitar thing is so Turbo. The Tom Sawyer riff - that's what he must've been talking about when he said that 'it's not prog like Rush', LOL.

Besised the synthy intro and the painkiller sound, the only other thing I hear is just that classic Priest sound in general.

What do you hear?

A lot of the same things, maybe some Firepower as well. Although I don't think the opening is Tom Sawyer really but I know what you mean. The guitars sound sharp and powerful, crunchy yet clean and pristine.

On 10/12/2023 at 9:26 PM, treeduck said:

Been so busy over the last month I missed out on this coming out.  Good golly - this is excellent.  Rob's vocal are still amazing, tremendous lyrics, strong music.  I did not think they could match Firepower (which, IMO, was their best album since Screaming for Vengeance) but if the entire album is this good they might match or exceed Firepower.  Call me impressed - big time.

• Like 2

I have to say I think I love Trial By Fire even more! The guitar work feels modern, even a little edgy. That intro sounds better than many bands a quarter their age. I don't hear a band chasing the past, I hear one of the pioneers still knowing the genre and its awareness of where the genre is now.

I'm blown away. I consider Judas Priest one of my top three UK bands (alongside Paradise Lost and Iron Maiden), and I'm impressed all three bands are now older, and still killing it.

I cannot wait for this album!

Also, something about the chorus reminds me of Iced Earth. Its not enough to make me think the influence is there, it could just me being a bit delulu. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I have to say I think I love Trial By Fire even more! The guitar work feels modern, even a little edgy. That intro sounds better than many bands a quarter their age. I don't hear a band chasing the past, I hear one of the pioneers still knowing the genre and its awareness of where the genre is now.

I'm blown away. I consider Judas Priest one of my top three UK bands (alongside Paradise Lost and Iron Maiden), and I'm impressed all three bands are now older, and still killing it.

I cannot wait for this album!

Also, something about the chorus reminds me of Iced Earth. Its not enough to make me think the influence is there, it could just me being a bit delulu. 

I agree with you 100% that this is not a band chasing the past - I hear it using that past to move along to the future.  

Must confess though, I am not at all familiar with Paradise Lost.  Glad you mentioned them  - I will have to check them out.  My guess is they never broke big in the US if they date to the 1980's.  If they date to the 1980's and had broken big over here I would be familiar with them.

As for Maiden I find them to be a very different band from Priest and (perhaps surprisingly) a bit hard to compare.  Its like comparing Rush and Triumph.  On paper, similar bands.  Once you get listening, not similar.

That being said, I historically ranked them about equal.  Priest had good music in the 1970's when Maiden was not around.  

Then they both had their glory years in the 1980's.  But Maidens glory years involved slightly more albums (# of the Beast through, and I am being very charitable here, Fear of the Dark - although most would argue just 7th Son of a 7th Son vs. Priest British Steel through Ram It Down.  Yes, most include Painkiller but I don't - I think its a dog).  Plus Bruce had a very good solo album in Tattooed Millionaire.  Rob had no such album.

Both went through a down spell after they changed lead singers in the 1990's.  Then reenergized when their original lead singers came back.  Maiden had a strong album in Brave New World and from Dances With Death they had Paschendale (which is my favorite Maiden song).  But otherwise their music since Bruce came back had not really thrilled me.  Priest is a different matter.  Yes, they did Nostradamus which I don't go crazy for but all their other albums have been very enjoyable.  

So, 1970's - edge for Priest.  1980's  - edge for Maiden.  1990's - who cares.  But post return of Bruce and Rob - edge Priest.  So its close but I rank Priest very slightly ahead of Maiden. Maiden at its best may be better than Priest at its best but their is just more good quality music from Priest and late career they have been on fire.   Like you said, I can't wait for the new album.   

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

I agree with you 100% that this is not a band chasing the past - I hear it using that past to move along to the future.  

Must confess though, I am not at all familiar with Paradise Lost.  Glad you mentioned them  - I will have to check them out.  My guess is they never broke big in the US if they date to the 1980's.  If they date to the 1980's and had broken big over here I would be familiar with them.

As for Maiden I find them to be a very different band from Priest and (perhaps surprisingly) a bit hard to compare.  Its like comparing Rush and Triumph.  On paper, similar bands.  Once you get listening, not similar.

That being said, I historically ranked them about equal.  Priest had good music in the 1970's when Maiden was not around.  

Then they both had their glory years in the 1980's.  But Maidens glory years involved slightly more albums (# of the Beast through, and I am being very charitable here, Fear of the Dark - although most would argue just 7th Son of a 7th Son vs. Priest British Steel through Ram It Down.  Yes, most include Painkiller but I don't - I think its a dog).  Plus Bruce had a very good solo album in Tattooed Millionaire.  Rob had no such album.

Both went through a down spell after they changed lead singers in the 1990's.  Then reenergized when their original lead singers came back.  Maiden had a strong album in Brave New World and from Dances With Death they had Paschendale (which is my favorite Maiden song).  But otherwise their music since Bruce came back had not really thrilled me.  Priest is a different matter.  Yes, they did Nostradamus which I don't go crazy for but all their other albums have been very enjoyable.  

So, 1970's - edge for Priest.  1980's  - edge for Maiden.  1990's - who cares.  But post return of Bruce and Rob - edge Priest.  So its close but I rank Priest very slightly ahead of Maiden. Maiden at its best may be better than Priest at its best but their is just more good quality music from Priest and late career they have been on fire.   Like you said, I can't wait for the new album.   

Their debut album came out in 1990.

They are a unique band. They started out intense Doom metal, and by the late nineties embraced electropop. 

I recommend a middle album, One Second. Or the self titled from 2005.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

who gives a shit about In Flames?

JUDAS PRIEST BITCH:laugh2:

Mick

I love In Flames WAAAAAAAAAY more than Judas Priest 🤣

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

You never heard Resurrection from Halford? That's a very good album. Have you heard Accident Of Birth or The Chemical Wedding from Dickinson? Those are as good as anything he's done since returning to Maiden.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

You never heard Resurrection from Halford? That's a very good album. Have you heard Accident Of Birth or The Chemical Wedding from Dickinson? Those are as good as anything he's done since returning to Maiden.

Dickinson has some killer solo material. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

I love In Flames WAAAAAAAAAY more than Judas Priest 🤣

Oh I just realised I posted this in the wrong thread 

WHOOPSIES

1 minute ago, Segue Myles said:

Dickinson has some killer solo material. 

Yes, he does. Tyranny Of Souls is very good too. He has a new album coming out next month. As great as he is in Maiden there's a different kind of greatness he taps into with his solo material.

9 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

Yes, he does. Tyranny Of Souls is very good too. He has a new album coming out next month. As great as he is in Maiden there's a different kind of greatness he taps into with his solo material.

I was floored when I heard his solo work. However I find Halford never really loses that Priest feel