So if the vocals were still being recorded as of last month- are we still potentially maybe six more months away from release? Or more? Does anyone know? Has the band said?

3 hours ago, Blue J said:

So if the vocals were still being recorded as of last month- are we still potentially maybe six more months away from release? Or more? Does anyone know? Has the band said?

Faulkner said they need six months for the "vinyl turnaround", and before that there's mixing and mastering. I'd say early next year is the most likely target release date.

• Like 1

JUDAS PRIEST Is Working Out The Track Listing Of Upcoming Album: 'It's Gotta Be Right', RICHIE FAULKNER Says

In a new interview with Tulsa Music Stream, JUDAS PRIEST guitarist Richie Faulkner spoke about the status of the band's upcoming follow-up to 2018's "Firepower" album. He said: "I spoke to Glenn [Tipton, PRIEST guitarist] via e-mail, actually, this morning. We were talking about the running order for the track listing of the album. So that's where the album's at. So it's been recorded. It's pretty much mixed now. We're just trying to decide what order the tracks should go. It's a really important thing. If you put the tracks in the wrong order — it's like a movie; if you edit the movie in the wrong order, it loses its potency. So it's gotta be right. So that's the stage we're at. So it's pretty close. Then we've gotta obviously manufacture the thing, the record label's gotta manufacture the packaging and the artwork and the vinyl and get it out there. So that takes a little bit of time. But as far as the creative and the recording and everything like that, it's pretty much almost finished, shall we say."

Asked about a tentative release date for the new PRIEST LP, Faulkner said: "Well, I don't think we have a specific one… If we handed it in to the record label today, I think vinyl takes six months at least to actually make; there's a backlog of vinyl. So we can work out what the earliest is gonna be, put it that way. So I think it'll probably be early '24, I would say. I won't get fired for that. But I think that's a safe estimation to say. It's gonna be early '24."

Edited by treeduck
  • Like 1

So we'd have to wait 6 months longer just because of vinyl.

Here's a clue.  Just release it on the modern platforms and CD if they like.  Keep the vinyl as the modern novelty that it is and release it later. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, grep said:

So we'd have to wait 6 months longer just because of vinyl.

Here's a clue.  Just release it on the modern platforms and CD if they like.  Keep the vinyl as the modern novelty that it is and release it later. 

Personally, I really appreciate being able to buy the vinyl on the actual release date. Also, I’m sure they sell a lot more vinyl when it’s available at the same time the other formats come out than when you have to wait for it.

On 7/18/2023 at 7:32 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Personally, I really appreciate being able to buy the vinyl on the actual release date. Also, I’m sure they sell a lot more vinyl when it’s available at the same time the other formats come out than when you have to wait for it.

Surely the release of the music is more important than one specific medium of release not being quite ready?

2 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Surely the release of the music is more important than one specific medium of release not being quite ready?

To me, not really. Or I guess so just don’t really think about it that way. If the record comes out but the vinyl is still 6 months behind, I’m disappointed. I’ll likely end up buying it twice if I love it (once CD/digital, once vinyl), or more likely I’ll never get the record, because by the time it comes out I’ll have forgotten all about it. But I don’t begrudge anyone who just wants it released and doesn’t care about the format.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Guess the title of one of the new tracks, lets see your Priest prediction skills!

8 hours ago, treeduck said:

Guess the title of one of the new tracks, lets see your Priest prediction skills!

Painkillers (Coke and Ibuprofen)

Zimmerframe Messiah 

Balls To The Floor

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Segue Myles said:

Painkillers (Coke and Ibuprofen)

Zimmerframe Messiah 

Balls To The Floor

:laugh:

On 7/27/2023 at 8:43 AM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

To me, not really. Or I guess so just don’t really think about it that way. If the record comes out but the vinyl is still 6 months behind, I’m disappointed. I’ll likely end up buying it twice if I love it (once CD/digital, once vinyl), or more likely I’ll never get the record, because by the time it comes out I’ll have forgotten all about it. But I don’t begrudge anyone who just wants it released and doesn’t care about the format.

I think we will start seeing the vinyl get released months after the album is. If bands want something new to tour with and want to get the album out in some way and don't want to or can't wait the extra six months to tour then we are going to see the CD and digital versions of these albums released much sooner. Bands shouldn't have to put what they want to do on hold just because the vinyl isn't ready. Vinyl fans are very diehard to the format. If they like the band they will get it whenever it's ready. Especially the people who are part of the "I'm better than you because I listen to vinyl and hear music properly" crowd.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I think we will start seeing the vinyl get released months after the album is. If bands want something new to tour with and want to get the album out in some way and don't want to or can't wait the extra six months to tour then we are going to see the CD and digital versions of these albums released much sooner. Bands shouldn't have to put what they want to do on hold just because the vinyl isn't ready. Vinyl fans are very diehard to the format. If they like the band they will get it whenever it's ready. Especially the people who are part of the "I'm better than you because I listen to vinyl and hear music properly" crowd.

Agreed. 

Vinyl is just an expensive extravagance.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Some bands will do that, some bands will wait for the vinyl to be ready.  It's not gonna be something everyone agrees on.  Like I said before, probably a lot more people buy the vinyl when it has the same release date as the digital album and the hype is still persuasive.  If you know only die hards are gonna buy your record on vinyl, the cost of producing it probably looks a lot less appealing.  Some bands are going to want to give it the best shot it has at being sold by synchronizing the release date.

3 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Some bands will do that, some bands will wait for the vinyl to be ready.  It's not gonna be something everyone agrees on.  Like I said before, probably a lot more people buy the vinyl when it has the same release date as the digital album and the hype is still persuasive.  If you know only die hards are gonna buy your record on vinyl, the cost of producing it probably looks a lot less appealing.  Some bands are going to want to give it the best shot it has at being sold by synchronizing the release date.

If they want to give it their best shot, release the music and tour. Physical media is dying.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

If they want to give it their best shot, release the music and tour. Physical media is dying.

Vinyl is still growing though. It has been since the mid 2010s. Not as fast as it used to be, but it's not like CDs. There's a small contingent of the market that likes it and keeps buying it.

13 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Vinyl is still growing though. It has been since the mid 2010s. Not as fast as it used to be, but it's not like CDs. There's a small contingent of the market that likes it and keeps buying it.

Then if they like it they can get it when it's ready.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Segue Myles said:

Then if they like it they can get it when it's ready.

This isn't something we're going to agree on. C'est la vie.

RICHIE FAULKNER On Follow-Up To JUDAS PRIEST's 'Firepower': 'We've Got A Lot To Live Up To'

In a new interview with Metal Magnitude's Chelsea, JUDAS PRIEST guitarist Richie Faulkner spoke about the progress of the recording sessions for the band's follow-up to 2018's "Firepower" album. He said: "It's actually in the mixing stages at the moment, so we're getting mixes through from [PRIEST producer and touring guitarist] Andy Sneap. But it's shaping up really well. The mixes are sounding great. So as soon as they're done, we've gotta manufacture the thing. So I always say to people, it's mixing, it's mastering and it's manufacturing. You've gotta make the thing, you've gotta make the vinyl, you've gotta make the stuff that everyone's gonna listen to on that, the packaging, the artwork and all that sort of stuff, so we can then send it out. It's that kind of packaging that everyone knows and loves — you know, the front cover, the artwork that everyone knows and loves about JUDAS PRIEST. So we've gotta get all that sort of stuff done. But as far as the mixes, the album is sounding great. We're talking about track listing, what order the tracks are gonna go in, what tracks we're gonna use, all that sort of fun stuff. When you're talking about that stuff, it's near completion, so it's an exciting time for the band. It's exciting. It's exciting to have something that no one has heard."

He added: "'Firepower' was such a well-received album. It's been out for a few years now, and we've gotta top that one. People love that record, and we've got a lot to live up to. But that's a great thing to shoot for. When the bar's that high, you've just gotta meet the bar and hopefully surpass it. So we'll see."

• Like 2

6 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Oh, is this still going on? Just release the damn album already 😄

They are waiting for a vinyl because they know EP would be upset 🤣🤣🤣😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, treeduck said:

RICHIE FAULKNER On Follow-Up To JUDAS PRIEST's 'Firepower': 'We've Got A Lot To Live Up To'

In a new interview with Metal Magnitude's Chelsea, JUDAS PRIEST guitarist Richie Faulkner spoke about the progress of the recording sessions for the band's follow-up to 2018's "Firepower" album. He said: "It's actually in the mixing stages at the moment, so we're getting mixes through from [PRIEST producer and touring guitarist] Andy Sneap. But it's shaping up really well. The mixes are sounding great. So as soon as they're done, we've gotta manufacture the thing. So I always say to people, it's mixing, it's mastering and it's manufacturing. You've gotta make the thing, you've gotta make the vinyl, you've gotta make the stuff that everyone's gonna listen to on that, the packaging, the artwork and all that sort of stuff, so we can then send it out. It's that kind of packaging that everyone knows and loves — you know, the front cover, the artwork that everyone knows and loves about JUDAS PRIEST. So we've gotta get all that sort of stuff done. But as far as the mixes, the album is sounding great. We're talking about track listing, what order the tracks are gonna go in, what tracks we're gonna use, all that sort of fun stuff. When you're talking about that stuff, it's near completion, so it's an exciting time for the band. It's exciting. It's exciting to have something that no one has heard."

He added: "'Firepower' was such a well-received album. It's been out for a few years now, and we've gotta top that one. People love that record, and we've got a lot to live up to. But that's a great thing to shoot for. When the bar's that high, you've just gotta meet the bar and hopefully surpass it. So we'll see."

Sometimes I think Firepower is my fave album.

I need to do a Priest marathon soon

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Segue Myles said:

They are waiting for a vinyl because they know EP would be upset 🤣🤣🤣😉

Yeah, before they release it they have to please a small but very vocal group of people who think it's still 1975 and absolutely need their vinyl 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Yeah, before they release it they have to please a small but very vocal group of people who think it's still 1975 and absolutely need their vinyl 😄

Honestly I'm just happy for bands and artists to be able to release music. Taylor Swift put Folklore and Evermore up on streaming before it was readily available on physical. If the music is good, and you're an established name, you can guarantee any and every format will have appeal.

For me delaying a release on vinyl is as stupid as delaying a release for cassette tape. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

their chocolate mint edition jizz colored vinyl:laugh:

Mick

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, bluefox4000 said:

their chocolate mint edition jizz colored vinyl:laugh:

Mick

This is disgusting 🤣

• Haha 1