That word, ‘progressive’, as associated with Priest- the Nostradamus album was seen as somewhat progressive too, wasn’t it?

Love some epic-length metal. And also, just looking forward to finding out what they’ve cooked up! No matter what it is.

Progressive Priest could also be Sin After Sin/Sad Wings era, Run of the Mill kind of progressive. I like Nostradamus anyway. The swagger mixed with progressive is interesting.

I think it would be very difficult for them not to succeed with this lineup right after Firepower, so I'm all for them getting ambitious and showing their prog side. One could argue they were prog right from the start, progressing the foundational strands of Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rush, Uriah Heep, Blue Cheer, Queen, Led Zeppelin, and others into a new kind of metal that went on to take the world by storm. Helped that they were the first band to actually refer to themselves as metal too. I think there's plenty of metal in many those bands I just listed above, but none of them really accepted the title, allowing Priest to become the first official Metal Gods!

• Like 1

That word, ‘progressive’, as associated with Priest- the Nostradamus album was seen as somewhat progressive too, wasn’t it?

Love some epic-length metal. And also, just looking forward to finding out what they’ve cooked up! No matter what it is.

Progressive Priest could also be Sin After Sin/Sad Wings era, Run of the Mill kind of progressive. I like Nostradamus anyway. The swagger mixed with progressive is interesting.

I think it would be very difficult for them not to succeed with this lineup right after Firepower, so I'm all for them getting ambitious and showing their prog side. One could argue they were prog right from the start, progressing the foundational strands of Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rush, Uriah Heep, Blue Cheer, Queen, Led Zeppelin, and others into a new kind of metal that went on to take the world by storm. Helped that they were the first band to actually refer to themselves as metal too. I think there's plenty of metal in many those bands I just listed above, but none of them really accepted the title, allowing Priest to become the first official Metal Gods!

rush-priest.jpg

• Like 1

This is true.

I like Nostradamus too. I was hesitant to ever listen too it because all I ever saw was hate for it, but it's got a lot to enjoy.

• Like 1

I like Nostradamus too. I was hesitant to ever listen too it because all I ever saw was hate for it, but it's got a lot to enjoy.

Yeah it's good. I don't get the hate. It's similar to the hate for Lochness which I don't get either.

• Like 1

In a new interview with Keefy of Ghost Cult, JUDAS PRIEST guitarist Richie Faulkner spoke about the progress of the songwriting sessions for the band's follow-up to 2018's "Firepower" album. He said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "We're in the process of putting it together. Obviously, that process has been stalled somewhat due to COVID the last couple of years. Now that [the COVID restrictions] have been lifted, we're now on a touring cycle. So now there's that challenge to deal with in terms of putting the record together. But we're gonna try to work around it. In between tour legs, we're gonna try to get the stuff recorded.

"Rob [Halford, PRIEST singer] always says, 'It'll be done when it's done; it's finished when it's finished.' At this stage of their career, there's no point in rushing anything. It'll be done when it's done. And I think that's the best way of putting it. We'll try to get it done as we can, and you guys will be the first to know when it is."

According to Faulkner, the new PRIEST album is already written. "It's kind of in demo form," he explained. "We've got a batch of songs in demo form that are ready to be recorded properly, and we've got the drums done. Everything else needs to be done, really. So in terms of being written, it's written, but we need to record it properly and everything like that. So it's not really anywhere near done. But when it's done, it's done."

• Like 2

Yeah it's good. I don't get the hate. It's similar to the hate for Lochness which I don't get either.

I love that song.

• Like 1

Rob Halford says Judas Priest currently is tracking its next album, and “it sounds great”

Judas Priest is having an eventful year that will see the band mount a lengthy, new European leg of its ongoing 50 Heavy Metal Years tour and will culminate with the veteran British rockers getting inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this November.

Beyond that, frontman Rob Halford reports that the band is continuing to work on a new album that will be a follow-up to their 2018 studio effort, Firepower.

“We’ve stopped kicking the tires and now we’re in tracking,” Halford tells ABC Audio about the status of the record.

He also reveals that he’s planning to add some new material to the project that, judging by his comments, will be based around unfinished archival recordings.

“You can never have enough songs when you’re making an album,” he notes. “Songs that you didn’t even know you had bits and pieces and fragments of, suddenly they become an incredibly important part of your record.”

Regarding the sound of the album, Rob notes, “The music that we’re making now is representative of where Priest is at this probably sixth decade of our existence when it comes out…It sounds great. I’m really pleased.”

He adds, “I’m really, really happy that…we’re not dropping the ball. Not that we ever have. But it’s good, because there are some elements in there that we’ve never…kind of discovered before.”

Asked if he thinks the album may be ready for release sometime next year, Halford responds cagily, “He raises his hands, he shrugs his shoulders and he goes, ‘Meh.'”

Judas Priest launches its 2022 European trek on May 31 in Berlin.

As previously reported, the band will be inducted into the Rock Hall in conjunction with receiving the Musical Excellence Award. The ceremony takes place November 5 in Los Angeles.

Copyright © 2022, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Edited by treeduck
didn't like the way the quote box operated
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Hellion/Electric/ into Riding on The Wind.  KIller on it's own merits!!!  Then to follow with Heading Out To The Highway..    wow.

The setlist overall reminds me of something from The Vengeance tour, with a good sprinkling of new songs.

Genocide!!!!!

• Like 1

https://consequence.net/2022/10/kk-downing-judas-priest-rock-roll-hall-of-fame-ceremony/

How is no one else talking about how KK and Les are going to play with Priest at the rock hall induction this Saturday????

48 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

https://consequence.net/2022/10/kk-downing-judas-priest-rock-roll-hall-of-fame-ceremony/

How is no one else talking about how KK and Les are going to play with Priest at the rock hall induction this Saturday????

Because KK has been nothing but a bitter asshole talking shit about the band ever since he retired. Then he does nothing but whine about why they didn't ask him back after Glenn became too ill to perform anymore. Then he creates his own bootleg Priest band as a way of "getting back" at them. f**k KK, he's a piece of shit. Priest handled everything with class and never publicly blasted KK.

As for Les, I'm not sure he was around for long enough for fans to forge any sort of deep connection with him. He played on a couple of great albums but how many fans truly remember him being their drummer?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, J2112YYZ said:

Because KK has been nothing but a bitter asshole talking shit about the band ever since he retired. Then he does nothing but whine about why they didn't ask him back after Glenn became too ill to perform anymore. Then he creates his own bootleg Priest band as a way of "getting back" at them. f**k KK, he's a piece of shit. Priest handled everything with class and never publicly blasted KK.

As for Les, I'm not sure he was around for long enough for fans to forge any sort of deep connection with him. He played on a couple of great albums but how many fans truly remember him being their drummer?

I mean, I agree, but look they're putting that all aside for one night only for the fans!

34 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I mean, I agree, but look they're putting that all aside for one night only for the fans!

Maybe nobody is talking about it because Priest isn't actually getting in the hall of fame. They're getting a slap in the face participation award.

• Like 1

RICHIE FAULKNER Says New JUDAS PRIEST Album Is 'Almost Complete', Elaborates On LP's 'More Progressive' Direction
March 26, 2023

In a brand new interview with Canada's The Metal Voice, JUDAS PRIEST guitarist Richie Faulkner spoke about the progress of the recording sessions for the band's follow-up to 2018's "Firepower" album. He said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "[The songs] are almost complete. The songs have been around for a little while now. We didn't have the ability to get together and record them, because of the COVID pandemic. And when that lifted, we would then get out on the road. So then we had to record the stuff around being on the road. But we did it. So we'd do a tour leg and I'd come back and do the guitars and then we'd done the drums. And then [we] went back out on the road. And we'd done things around the touring cycle. Now Rob's [Halford] doing the vocals. So they're almost finished."

Regarding the musical direction of the new PRIEST material, Richie said: "I've said this before, and the Internet — the sharks got hold of it… I would definitely say, and Rob said it as well, I said the word 'progressive', and the Internet tore me apart. But they haven't heard it. When I said 'progressive', I'd say it's a little bit… instead of, let's say, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus, finish, it might do verse, musical part, musical section, bridge, chorus, musical section, back into the verse. It doesn't stay on the path; sometimes it goes off and plays it a little… Like the old '70s PRIEST used to, like the 'Sinner' and stuff like that; it used to go on a bit more of a musical journey. Which I think is great — it's interesting.

"So that's what I can say. I've said it before: it's a little bit more progressive; it's a little bit more musically, not experimental, but it's got a few more riffs in there," he explained. "[There's more] intricacies, there's more solos, there's more riffs, which, I don't think that's a bad thing, as a guitar player."

• Like 4

On 11/1/2022 at 4:22 AM, J2112YYZ said:

That album of his bootleg Priest band was godawful, and I'm shocked it got so many positive reviews

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

RICHIE FAULKNER Says ROB HALFORD Is 'Still Doing A Few Vocal Touch-Ups' For JUDAS PRIEST's Next Studio Album
April 18, 2023

In a new interview with George Dionne of "The Rock Is George" podcast, JUDAS PRIEST guitarist Richie Faulkner was asked about a possible timeline for the release of the band's follow-up to 2018's "Firepower" album. He responded: "I don't know exactly when [it will be released]. I know when we would like to have it out. Rob's [Halford, PRIEST singer] still doing a few vocal touch-ups here and there. The majority of it is finished. And then you've got things to consider — like the turnaround on vinyl nowadays is six to nine months. So even if we finish the record today, as I'm talking to you, and we give it to the record label, we're looking at six to nine months before the vinyl is ready. So that's a bit of a challenge to contend with. But it's almost finished. It's sounding great. We've gotta select the track listing and album artwork and stuff like that, which is exciting. So, yeah, it's coming out, but I can't tell you exactly when, 'cause I don't actually know."

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 4:59 PM, treeduck said:

RICHIE FAULKNER Says ROB HALFORD Is 'Still Doing A Few Vocal Touch-Ups' For JUDAS PRIEST's Next Studio Album
April 18, 2023

In a new interview with George Dionne of "The Rock Is George" podcast, JUDAS PRIEST guitarist Richie Faulkner was asked about a possible timeline for the release of the band's follow-up to 2018's "Firepower" album. He responded: "I don't know exactly when [it will be released]. I know when we would like to have it out. Rob's [Halford, PRIEST singer] still doing a few vocal touch-ups here and there. The majority of it is finished. And then you've got things to consider — like the turnaround on vinyl nowadays is six to nine months. So even if we finish the record today, as I'm talking to you, and we give it to the record label, we're looking at six to nine months before the vinyl is ready. So that's a bit of a challenge to contend with. But it's almost finished. It's sounding great. We've gotta select the track listing and album artwork and stuff like that, which is exciting. So, yeah, it's coming out, but I can't tell you exactly when, 'cause I don't actually know."

I didn't know vinyl took that long to produce. I guess it makes sense since the packaging and graphics are a lot more layered than they were years ago.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I didn't know vinyl took that long to produce. I guess it makes sense since the packaging and graphics are a lot more layered than they were years ago.

That became even worse during covid. A lot of albums had their vinyl release postponed due to manufacturing and distribution constraints. Two that I can remember were Accept's Too Mean To Die and Deep Purple's Turning To Crime.

• Like 1

RICHIE FAULKNER Says 'It's Amazing To Hear' ROB HALFORD's Voice On New JUDAS PRIEST Tracks

In a new interview with Pat Calamari of Pat's Soundbytes Unplugged, JUDAS PRIEST guitarist Richie Faulkner was asked about a possible timeline for the release of the band's follow-up to 2018's "Firepower" album. He responded: "Well, I don't have any definitive answers for that. But I do know we've almost finished tracking. I was in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago with [PRIEST producer and touring guitarist] Andy Sneap and Rob [Halford, PRIEST singer] putting down some vocals. It's amazing to hear that voice singing new PRIEST tracks — that voice that we've grown up with singing new PRIEST tracks that we haven't heard before and we're in the process of creating. It's a privileged position to be in, really. I'm incredibly grateful to be part of it.

"We've almost finished the tracking," he repeated. "Then we've gotta mix it, we've gotta master it. And then, obviously, it's the artwork and the packaging and the manufacturing of the thing, which is out of our hands, with the manufacturing. So I can't say exactly when it's gonna be out. But [the recording process is] almost finished."

• Like 1

RICHIE FAULKNER Says Next JUDAS PRIEST Album Has 'The Influence Of '70s' In The 'Progressive Sense'
June 10, 2023

In a new interview with Anne Erickson of Audio Ink Radio, JUDAS PRIEST guitarist Richie Faulkner spoke about the overall sound of the band's upcoming follow-up to 2018's "Firepower" album. He said: "It's sounding great. I was in Phoenix with [producer and touring guitarist] Andy Sneap and [singer] Rob [Halford] a few weeks ago, putting the vocals down. And it's always exciting to hear new PRIEST tracks, because they become PRIEST tracks when Rob sings them. It's, like, the world hasn't heard them yet, but there's new PRIEST tracks that we're hearing for the first time. It's really exciting, hearing that characteristic voice that we've heard for decades singing new stuff. It's an incredibly exciting thing, so I can't wait for the world to hear it all."

Elaborating on the musical direction of the new PRIEST material, Faulkner said: "There are definitely a few more twists and turns on this record. There are a few more musical parts. So, there might be a bit of... As I said, there are twists and turns. I've used the word 'progressive' before, and the Internet ripped me a new asshole. But it is progressive in the sense that it's not like verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus-finish. It's musical part-verse-musical part. It might do a few twists and turns, musically. It veers from the path of it, a bit like 'Sinner' or 'Tyrant' or something like that. So, it's a bit more '70s PRIEST, which I welcome as a guitar player… It's '70s PRIEST, but it's not a retro album, by any means. It's the influence of '70s PRIEST in the progressive sense, but it sounds like PRIEST in 2023."

He added: "Every PRIEST album has kind of stood on its own, stylistically. It's had that DNA of JUDAS PRIEST, because the characters are so strong. But it's always been a little bit different — retaining that DNA but having its own character. So, this one's no different, really, in the sense that it's obviously JUDAS PRIEST, but it's its own animal; it stands on its own two legs."

• Like 1

Both Maiden and Metallica are fairly progressive. So I don't get why anyone would freak out if Priest tried something like that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grep said:

Both Maiden and Metallica are fairly progressive. So I don't get why anyone would freak out if Priest tried something like that.  

Must be fans who want every new album to be Painkiller part 2.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grep said:

They probably weren't very fond of Nostradamus and don't want a repeat of that or anything resembling it.  But it should be obvious to anyone paying even the slightest attention to what Faulkner's been saying that he isn't speaking of being progressive in any sort of Nostradamus-esque sense.

• Like 2