Are you surprised at REO Speedwagon's big success?

Texas King

Not surprised at all. Catchy pop songs.

I would say - BLAND and CORNY pop songs.

You can say that about a lot of pop. Even if the songs are bland and corny, if they're catchy and get stuck in people's heads is all that really matters. Once that happens a big hit is born.

• Like 2

Chicks digged 'em and guys dig chicks so... ;)

Many guys also dig great guitar playing and great songwriting. But I'm sure there was a fair bit of what you're saying going on too.

• Like 1

Not surprised at all. The songs you mentioned are great and Hi InFidelity is a fantastic record. At that time, they were around for almost a decade and their live shows were just fabulous! Their 70's studio stuff isn't shabby either. Some great albums there.

Listen to this track. A fantastic live document. R.I.P Gary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR8CnXn8LY0

• Like 6

The sort of paralleled Journey in a sense that their early stuff was really great and then they sold out to AOR dribble.

Ridin the Storm Out kicks ass as well as Golden Country. But after that...meh.

• Like 2

The sort of paralleled Journey in a sense that their early stuff was really great and then they sold out to AOR dribble.

Yeah, but they were still a brilliant live band. I saw them in 1985 and it was beyond belief.

• Like 4

I look at High Infidelity by REO Speedwagon as the big blockbuster album like Toto IV by Toto.

It was a 'make-or-break' album for the band.

REO Speedwagon has a longevity uphill climb to success in the same way as STYX.

The similarity with both REO Speedwagon and STYX is that the founding members formed these bands in the 60's with different band names and various personnel changes that have occurred throughout .Then both bands achieved massive success in the early 80's.

I would include 4 by Foreigner and Escape by Journey as well in relation.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

Why was REO Speedwagon's "Hi Infidelity" such a successful album? It went Diamond in the US.

Why were songs Keep On Loving You and Can't Fight This Feeling such a big hits?

What would you say?

Hootie & The Blowfish were really popular, too....

Not surprised at all. The songs you mentioned are great and Hi InFidelity is a fantastic record. At that time, they were around for almost a decade and their live shows were just fabulous! Their 70's studio stuff isn't shabby either. Some great albums there.

Listen to this track. A fantastic live document. R.I.P Gary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR8CnXn8LY0

Golden Country!

• Like 2

Yeah, but they were still a brilliant live band. I saw them in 1985 and it was beyond belief.

I saw them two summers ago and they did great!

• Like 2

Not surprised at all. Catchy pop songs.

I would say - BLAND and CORNY pop songs.

Nope

Yep. Those two big REO hits are not any better than 80's Bon Jovi hits.

80s Bon Jovi hits are some of the best hits of the 80s. Dead Or Alive, You Give Love A Bad Name, and Living On A Prayer are all stone cold classics. REO's hits are right up there two, less flashy, but just as watertight arrangements and performances and songwriting...I'm sorry man, I just do not agree with your assessment of REO Speedwagon. Are you just not into AOR?

• Like 3

REO's story is not terribly unique. They were a solid rock band who just caught lightning in a bottle with an album. At around the same time, Billy Squier did the same thing with the awesome In the Dark. Happens all the time. People prone to "completism" don't seem to get those types of artists and moments, but there's a lot of them.
  • Like 4