I'm going to interview Hugh Syme!

Rod in Toronto

What are some of his favorite album covers that he didn't design? Or who are some of his favorite peers?

What is his favorite album cover that he did design!

How does he come up with ideas for new works? How quickly does he settle on an idea?

And lastly, if asked to do a Rush Christmas Card, what would it look like off the top of his head?

This is super cool for you Rod! I look forward to reading this one! :)

He answers many of those in this interview: https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/qa-with-rush-starman-hugh-syme/

Thanks again for all the questions, especially RushFanForever, who sent me a lot of material from Hugh! The Dream Theater forum had some great questions as well. Funny enough, there's a lot more criticism for his work with DT from their fan base than there is from the Rush fans. I sent Hugh my 36 questions last night for his review, and the interview will be on Tuesday. I suspect that this is going to be a long one, because he's very passionate about his work and likes to discuss it - which is great, and not always true of the musicians I interview - and also because the usual interview I do has about 20 questions, so this one has 80% more! Edited by Rod in Toronto

Hope it's not too late, but you definitely need to ask whether Permanent Waves is a 70s or 80s album.
  • Like 2

Hope it's not too late, but you definitely need to ask whether Permanent Waves is a 70s or 80s album.

Yep and i know isnt rush-related but i'd appreciate it if you could get his opinion on whether Die Hard a Christmas movie or not

• Like 1

Hugh's comment in an email to me after the interview:

"Hi Rodrigo,

Good speaking with you. I enjoyed our conversation this evening.

One of those things that differentiates a "casual" (candid) conversation from an interview — is to contain some of the tendencies to digress or divulge — lol"

• Like 2

Two new interviews with Hugh Syme here and here.

These interviews is to promote his appearance in Indianapolis for his new art exhibit titled The Artwork of Hugh Syme and the signing of his book The Art of Rush.

I've seen those appearances advertised! I wished I lived closer to Indiana; to see the artwork and to have gone to one of his appearances. We did used to live there but that was years ago.

Two new interviews with Hugh Syme here and here.

These interviews is to promote his appearance in Indianapolis for his new art exhibit titled The Artwork of Hugh Syme and the signing of his book The Art of Rush.

He's doing more interviews now that he's ever done before.

He asked for it. Anyway, here it is:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-hugh-syme/?fbclid=IwAR3JtT6ntDB2GoxtH9jze6s2tTqLuYMzytTm-PcLMq-WWmzL4diniqUbS3c

I hope you listen to it, enjoy it, comment on it, and share it to as many people as possible.

• Like 1

Rod, thanks for asking him my question about the p/g cover - the 'wing'. Amazing that the question turned into so much other information, how very cool!

Though I guess that after 35 years I need to recognize that I'm looking at a razor blade and not a wing. Who knew?

Excellent interview!

• Like 1

THANKS, Rodrigo, for asking Hugh about "living in the limelight"! You da MAN!!

:haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback! I did try to squeeze in as many questions as possible, and as you could see,that was a loooooooong chat. He asked me to omit two things he said, one about Geddy's abilities on keyboards and the other one about being overwhelmed by Dream Theater's music when he first heard it. He thought the comments were somewhat derrogatory to his main two clients.
  • Like 2

Syme's comments about doing album covers that were risqué and/or sexist were very interesting.

There are a great many albums from yesterday that would have zero chance of being printed today. :tsk: :tsk:

• Like 1

Hugh Syme's work with Ian Thomas isn't discussed a lot on here.

Mind you, I'm a supporter of lesser known Canadian legacy acts.

Below is the album cover that Hugh did with the Ian Thomas Band called Delights (1975), which Neil Peart mentions here, which lead to doing art work for RUSH and beyond.

R-2216143-1314647244.jpeg.jpg

Also here's the album cover for Glider (1979) below, which Hugh mentions in the interview as well.

R-2223786-1418631631-6348.jpeg.jpg

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

Also I found some photos of the Ian Thomas Band here taken from a concert they did at Houston Music Hall on December 15th, 1976.

They were opening for Al Stewart on his 'Year of the Cat' tour.

As well, there was a TV special from 1975 featuring the Ian Thomas Band promoting the 'Delights' album.

Ian posted the footage here from the special.

The mellotron on 'Tears' is one that Geddy bought from Canadian jazz legend Oscar Peterson that Ian noted here,

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 3