The 2019-20 NHL Thread

blackhawkrush

With the 2019/20 N.H.L. season continuing, no one knew if something would've been able to be organized, and arranged. It will be different having a twenty-four team tournament.

I think they should just shitcan the remainder of the season and focus on the 2020/2021 season. I'd rather watch games in October than in July.

I'd watch hockey even if I was in Africa, at 3:00AM, no air conditioning, and the feed was lagging every ten seconds. :madra:

I watched the World Juniors in Indonesia right after breakfast. A little too early for tv for me, but fun to watch hockey in a tropical country!

• Like 2

Hossa has just been elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

A great guy, great player and the Hawks are lucky he picked Chicago when he did. We probably don't win three Cups without him.
  • Like 2

A great guy, great player and the Hawks are lucky he picked Chicago when he did. We probably don't win three Cups without him.

Can’t win a playoff series without him. :(
  • Like 1

Can’t win a playoff series without him. :(

We can take out Edmonton Marian-less, Jim. :madra:
  • Like 2

Looks like more players are testing positive for Covid 19 :o Bolts had a few and now Austin Matthews and some of the Phoenix Coyotes. Making me really nervous! :o
  • Like 2

Looks like more players are testing positive for Covid 19 :o Bolts had a few and now Austin Matthews and some of the Phoenix Coyotes. Making me really nervous! :o

Any news on the Oilers? :drool: ...sorry
  • Like 1

With Auston Matthews from the Toronto Maple Leafs, and three hockey players from the Tampa Bay Lightning testing positive for the Coronavirus, it goes to show that the Coronavirus doesn't, and hasn't cared. Even if they're the best, and close to the best N.H.L. players.
  • Like 1

First phase of the draft lottery will be held Friday. First three spots will be filled. Hawks have a 5% chance of getting the no. 1 pick. :popcorn:

Apparently, if the Hawks want a chance to get the no.1 pick, they need to lose to Edmonton. :tempted:

First phase of the draft lottery will be held Friday. First three spots will be filled. Hawks have a 5% chance of getting the no. 1 pick. :popcorn:

Apparently, if the Hawks want a chance to get the no.1 pick, they need to lose to Edmonton. :tempted:

:facepalm: Not much of a choice

:facepalm: Not much of a choice

Oilers are saying they're looking forward to a long playoff run. They're not interested in Lafreniere...for now.

Toronto and Edmonton will host the entire playoffs. Qualifiers to begin July 30th. It makes sense to play this out in Canada, considering the virus.
  • Like 4

I did see, and hear that. There has been too much Coronavirus happening around. The Stanley Cup Final might be in Edmonton, but with that, and the drafts, the N.H.L. is organizing them. Edited by Derek19

I did see, and hear that. There has been too much Coronavirus happening around. The Stanley Cup Final might be in Edmonton, but with that, and the drafts, the N.H.L. is organizing them.

I don't have a problem with those two cities being chosen, even though Chicago was still a possibility right up to the end. I always liked watching games played in Toronto and Edmonton. And Edmonton has one of the better ice surfaces in the league. That's going to be a great help when playing double or triple headers.
  • Like 2

Blackhawks are putting up a fight in order to keep the name and logo. The team came out with a statement it has no plans to make any changes. To be continued, I'm sure. :eyeroll:
  • Like 1

Blackhawks are putting up a fight in order to keep the name and logo. The team came out with a statement it has no plans to make any changes. To be continued, I'm sure. :eyeroll:

I expected this and not sure how I feel about it, I do think it is a distinctive logo and like it. I don't like the dumb Tommy Hawk mascot though, he just seems like a bad looking vaudeville player in black face even though it is supposed to be a bird...strange looking. One thing the team may have trouble with is this group, American Indian Center of Chicago (AIC). They were partnering with the team to educate the public about American Indians, but the AIC ended that agreement in 2019, citing the perpetuation of "harmful stereotypes." So that doesn't help.

Our local university has worked with the Ute Tribe over the years to devise a logo that was respectful and also work to benefit the tribe as well. It helps to have them endorse the use of their name and see it as a benefit. We did have some Indians in head dresses logos before but changed them in the 70's. They just renewed the agreement this year.

I guess we will have to see how it pans out, at least the Blackhawks don't encourage a tomahawk chop and other stuff like that. I hope something will be worked out.

• Like 1

I expected this and not sure how I feel about it, I do think it is a distinctive logo and like it. I don't like the dumb Tommy Hawk mascot though, he just seems like a bad looking vaudeville player in black face even though it is supposed to be a bird...strange looking. One thing the team may have trouble with is this group, American Indian Center of Chicago (AIC). They were partnering with the team to educate the public about American Indians, but the AIC ended that agreement in 2019, citing the perpetuation of "harmful stereotypes." So that doesn't help.

Our local university has worked with the Ute Tribe over the years to devise a logo that was respectful and also work to benefit the tribe as well. It helps to have them endorse the use of their name and see it as a benefit. We did have some Indians in head dresses logos before but changed them in the 70's. They just renewed the agreement this year.

I guess we will have to see how it pans out, at least the Blackhawks don't encourage a tomahawk chop and other stuff like that. I hope something will be worked out.

I don't recall Tommy Hawk using a chop the way Atlanta Braves fans do/did during games. Still, with the craziness going on now, a simple argument that old rich white guys are using a Native American image to make money should be enough to get rid of the Indian Head. I know the name of the team was chosen from a WWI battalion in conjunction with Chief Black Hawk, but since this Chief conspired with the English and the French against the Americans, it would not be a great loss if the name disappeared. A few years ago, there was talk about changing the logo to a "hawk"...wearing a head dress. That's probably not happening because of the head dress. I just hope they don't decide on Chicago Obamas because that's where I draw the line.
  • Like 1

I don't recall Tommy Hawk using a chop the way Atlanta Braves fans do/did during games. Still, with the craziness going on now, a simple argument that old rich white guys are using a Native American image to make money should be enough to get rid of the Indian Head. I know the name of the team was chosen from a WWI battalion in conjunction with Chief Black Hawk, but since this Chief conspired with the English and the French against the Americans, it would not be a great loss if the name disappeared. A few years ago, there was talk about changing the logo to a "hawk"...wearing a head dress. That's probably not happening because of the head dress. I just hope they don't decide on Chicago Obamas because that's where I draw the line.

Yeah, I don't ever remember the chop being used in Chicago, we still have some dummies here trying to do it and others showing up with head dresses but they don't let them in to the games. Our mascot is a red tailed hawk which is from Ute tribe lore, he's ok so maybe they can come up with a good substitute for Tommy. I doubt Obama wants a team named after him ;)

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

"Yeah, you know the trouble with the Chicago Obamas is their susceptibility to attacks down the right wing."

Yeah, maybe after Kane retires. :atickhum:
  • Like 2

Any word on the television rights for when play resumes?

Guessing it depends if you are in Canada/US/other

Being in the US, I am used to NBC having coverage with all games being shown on various channels...primarily NBCSports, but some overflowed to channels like MSNBC or other NBC affiliates. Hoping I won't need NHL Center Ice or some other sort of package.

This working from home thing will really have a bonus when it comes time to noon faceoffs

• Like 1