The 2019-20 NHL Thread

blackhawkrush

So does it look like the soccer stadiums? With the tifos and whatnot covering the seats?

I'm not great with colors, but to me they look like grayish type coverings with the NHL logos and the logos of teams playing in that game. I've seen something like it in the Premier League, yes.

Anthems before the Pittsburgh-Philadelphia game. Nobody's taking a knee. :)

Oh, that's too bad.

:outtahere:

NHL players and coaches stood together on the blue lines prior to two exhibition games at Scotiabank Arena in Toronto on Tuesday to make a statement against social injustice.

Members of the Philadelphia Flyers and Pittsburgh Penguins stood side by side in solidarity during the playing of both the United States and Canadian national anthems prior to a 3-2 overtime win by the Flyers. The Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens did the same thing prior to their game.

"The Penguins and Flyers, two of the fiercest rivals in sports, united in solidarity this afternoon, to stand up against social injustice, racism and hate," the Flyers and Penguins said in a statement. "The two teams stood as one, merging players from both franchises together across each club's respective blue lines prior to today's game."

Each player stood next to a player from the opposing team, including Penguins captain Sidney Crosby next to Flyers center Sean Couturier, Penguins forward Patric Hornqvist next to Flyers forward Jakub Voracek and Penguins defenseman Jack Johnson next to Flyers captain Claude Giroux.

"A lot has happened since we played our last game and we felt, both teams, it was important to show unity given what's gone on and just want to be part of the solution moving forward," Crosby said. "So that was kind of the thought behind it."

Penguins coach Mike Sullivan stood next to Flyers coach Alain Vigneault during the anthems.

"I think all we were trying to do tonight, players and coaches, was show our support," Vigneault said. "That was one small way I thought everybody could do it and show it, and that's what we did."

• Like 2

So who watched any of the games? I saw up to the 3rd period of the Pens/Flyers...missed the OT. :| Didn't watch much of Montreal and the Leafs and I saw parts of each period of the Oilers/Flames. Oilers look ready to roll, watchout Hawks. There will be plenty of games tomorrow..Go Hawks!

Will be wearing my mask when I go to the store this week. http://images.app.goo.gl/EqUuJNFRmGkhogFy6

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 2

On Sportsnet, I watched the Toronto Maple Leafs', and Montreal Canadiens' exhibition game at Scotiabank Arena in Toronto. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

Oh, that's too bad.

No kneelers at the start of Islanders v Rangers, either.

Oh, that's too bad.

I don't think Tortorella will allow the Jackets to do it, either. ;)

Hawks 4 Blues 0 :) Kubalik (2) Saad and Strome with the tallies.

Yeah . . . that did not go as planned. I can only hope the Blues were saving it up for when the puck drops for real on Sunday!

• Like 1

Oh, that's too bad.

Looks like teams aren't going to kneel, most are going to stand together in mixed lines as a sign of solidarity. Did that with all the games I saw today. Expected to do the same on the 1st.

Players, coaches unite in fight against racism prior to exhibition games

https://www.nhl.com/news/pittsburgh-philadelphia-unite-in-solidarity-for-social-justice-opening-exhibition-game/c-317669636

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

Hawks 4 Blues 0 :) Kubalik (2) Saad and Strome with the tallies.

This was a great start, they need to be ready for Edmonton Saturday :dweez:

Oh, that's too bad.

Looks like teams aren't going to kneel, most are going to stand together in mixed lines as a sign of solidarity. Did that with all the games I saw today. Expected to do the same on the 1st.

https://www.nhl.com/...ame/c-317669636

At least they're doing something, even if this probably cements the NHL's reputation as the least engaged of the leagues. Will they keep it up for the regular season games?

I've decided the Blues were just playing possum against the Blackhawks, trying to sucker the Avalanche into overconfidence.

Oh, that's too bad.

Hawks and Blues stood for the anthems the same way they did before the city burnings began.
  • Like 1

Oh, that's too bad.

Hawks and Blues stood for the anthems the same way they did before the city burnings began.

Before the murder of George Floyd, then -- it's not like all this came from nothing.

Okay, so, hockey's back!

• Like 1

Three more exhibition games today, may miss some of them this time. Will be watching to see how the Knights look, then it will be show time on Saturday :hockey:
  • Like 1

Oh, that's too bad.

Before the murder of George Floyd, then -- it's not like all this came from nothing.

Okay, so, hockey's back!

All right, I'll give you the last word...but only this time. :poke:
  • Like 1

Go Nordiques/Avs

http://i.pinimg.com/236x/5a/96/e1/5a96e1ce96e2fd69f8c2ab8196316618--alex-lifeson-rock-band.jpg

• Like 2

So the writers at ESPN aren't giving your Blackhawks much love, Blackhawkrush or Rhyta; other than requisite fandom, what are some reasons for optimism?

(Pummeling the Blues in a scrimmage, maybe?)

• Like 1

So the writers at ESPN aren't giving your Blackhawks much love, Blackhawkrush or Rhyta; other than requisite fandom, what are some reasons for optimism?

(Pummeling the Blues in a scrimmage, maybe?)

Like these experts ever gave the Hawks any love? I think Oilers will win this series with their power play alone. We might have nine players in the starting line-up that never played in the playoffs. Enough said.
  • Like 2

Whatta ya want from ESPN, they have Criscohead shilling hockey for them (Karen's derisive nickname for Barry Melrose.)

Melrose always had favorable things to say about the Hawks over the years. Him and the late Jeremy Roenick.
  • Like 2