The 2019-20 NHL Thread

blackhawkrush

Any word on the television rights for when play resumes?

Guessing it depends if you are in Canada/US/other

Being in the US, I am used to NBC having coverage with all games being shown on various channels...primarily NBCSports, but some overflowed to channels like MSNBC or other NBC affiliates. Hoping I won't need NHL Center Ice or some other sort of package.

This working from home thing will really have a bonus when it comes time to noon faceoffs

Hawks qualifiers will be shown by a local TV station. I expect other teams to do the same.
  • Like 1

Being in the US, I am used to NBC having coverage with all games being shown on various channels...primarily NBCSports, but some overflowed to channels like MSNBC or other NBC affiliates. Hoping I won't need NHL Center Ice or some other sort of package.

This working from home thing will really have a bonus when it comes time to noon faceoffs

With, not much else to show, I bet someone picks this up.

I for one am stoked that finally there will be something to watch in the evenings!

• Like 1

I for one am stoked that finally there will be something to watch in the evenings!

And as I mentioned with me being lucky enough to now work from home, I am stoked that there should be hockey at noon I can watch while I am 'so busy' working.

• Like 1

Crawford is the only Hawk not taking part in the training camp. "Unfit to play." :banghead:

What the ??? Makes getting rid of Lehner look even worse :16ton:

• Like 1

Crawford is the only Hawk not taking part in the training camp. "Unfit to play." :banghead:

No faith in Subban? I don't blame you. I would go as far as to let Lankinen start in net. At least he's from the same country as Niemi. ;)
  • Like 1

And as I mentioned with me being lucky enough to now work from home, I am stoked that there should be hockey at noon I can watch while I am 'so busy' working.

Me too!!

• Like 2

No faith in Subban? I don't blame you. I would go as far as to let Lankinen start in net. At least he's from the same country as Niemi. ;)

I know Subban was very good in Vegas their first year but has been spotty since then. Don't know enough about Lankinen to say. Crawford not playing is a big hole to fill and I am worried for him since they can't say why he's "unfit to play"

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

I know Subban was very good in Vegas their first year but has been spotty since then. Don't know enough about Lankinen to say. Crawford not playing is a big hole to fill and I am worried for him since they can't say why he's "unfit to play"

If it's the virus, Crawford should be ready to go by August 1st, although some suffer longer than a couple of weeks. Lankinen won gold for Finland in the 2019 World Championships. I watched that tournament and he was amazing.
  • Like 1

My next question,

Are they going to play in the home rinks of the Oilers and Leafs (Rogers Place and Scotiabank)? Makes sense in that all the facilities (ready for TV and locker rooms) are there but may be more difficult to manage COVID.

No reason they couldn't play on what is considered practice surfaces as long as the ice is good. No need for a big arena for fans. Thinking broadcasting feasibility and locker rooms could be an issue but I'm guessing COVID protocols will incorporate limited use of locker rooms anyway.

The twelve Eastern Conference teams will play in Toronto at Scotiabank Arena, and the twelve Western Conference teams will play in Edmonton at Rogers Place. As for broadcasting, and televising the round-robin, and Stanley Cup Playoffs, right now, I don't know, and I don't think it's been said, and mentioned what N.H.L. games will be on T.S.N., Sportsnet, and regular t.v. channels, yet. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

I like yet another Blackhawk pick-up from Switzerland. Pius Suter looks like the real deal and should help next season. I would place him somewhere between Panarin and Kubalik. The only drawback, he's a C/LW and we really need right wingers now.
  • Like 1

Saw this today and I have to say I am very disappointed in Jeremy Roenick. https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-jeremy-roenick-sues-nbc-discrimination-20200718-7blvu2qeqbdxxm6zzuysxl5hti-story.html

It was a messy situation that he created and now he's trying to use some gender bias and political nonsense to cover his backside. I would think he has embarrassed himself and his wife enough. He's always been funny during the playoffs, like bungee jumping off a platform in Vegas or getting painted all white during a Winnipeg series. Now he just looks sad. IMHO

• Like 3

Saw this today and I have to say I am very disappointed in Jeremy Roenick. https://www.nydailyn...5hti-story.html

It was a messy situation that he created and now he's trying to use some gender bias and political nonsense to cover his backside. I would think he has embarrassed himself and his wife enough. He's always been funny during the playoffs, like bungee jumping off a platform in Vegas or getting painted all white during a Winnipeg series. Now he just looks sad. IMHO

I think he also said something about having sex with Patrick Sharp, in which case the anti-straight card would lose some meaning. I was always a big fan of Roenick. Here was a guy that would leave his heart on the ice every time he played. The NHL would be an even better league if every player had that mentality. Anyway, this is just another example of think before you speak, especially in 2020.
  • Like 1

Saw this today and I have to say I am very disappointed in Jeremy Roenick. https://www.nydailyn...5hti-story.html

I think he also said something about having sex with Patrick Sharp, in which case the anti-straight card would lose some meaning. I was always a big fan of Roenick. Here was a guy that would leave his heart on the ice every time he played. The NHL would be an even better league if every player had that mentality. Anyway, this is just another example of think before you speak, especially in 2020.

Yeah, he's had other dumb comments overlooked but when you go after 3 of your fellow co-workers that is over the line. It is just a self inflicted wound and he knows better. JR was a great player but maybe it's better he's off the stage now.

• Like 2

I've seen, and heard Jeremy Roenick, say some unthoughtful things, and without realizing before deciding to say them. I can name other N.H.L., and ex N.H.L. players, who have done similar, and the same things, but I'm not going to do that. For saying them, I'm sure, and would think he'll regret that.
  • Like 1

Television schedule released for those in the US

Sat., August 1

Game 1 – Carolina vs. N.Y. Rangers – NBCSN – 12 p.m. ET

Game 1 – Chicago vs. Edmonton – NBC – 3 p.m ET

Game 1 – Florida vs. N.Y. Islanders – NBCSN – 4 pm. ET

Game 1 – Montreal vs. Pittsburgh – NBC – 8 p.m. ET

Game 1 – Winnipeg vs. Calgary – NBCSN – 10:30 p.m. ET

Sun., August 2

Game 1 – Arizona vs. Nashville – USA Network – 2 p.m. ET

Round Robin – Boston vs. Philadelphia – NBC – 3 p.m. ET

Round Robin – St. Louis vs. Colorado – NBCSN – 6:30 p.m. ET

Game 1 – Columbus vs. Toronto – NBCSN – 8 p.m. ET

Game 1 – Minnesota vs. Vancouver – NBCSN – 10:30 p.m. ET

Mon., August 3

Game 2 – Carolina vs. N.Y. Rangers – NBCSN – 12 p.m. ET

Game 2 – Winnipeg vs. Calgary – NBCSN – 2:30 p.m. ET

Round Robin – Washington vs. Tampa Bay – NBCSN – 4 p.m. ET

Round Robin – Dallas vs. Vegas – NBCSN – 6:30 p.m. ET

Game 2 – Montreal vs. Pittsburgh – NBCSN – 8 p.m. ET

Game 2 – Chicago vs. Edmonton – NBCSN – 10:30 p.m. ET

Tues., August 4

Game 2 – Florida vs. N.Y. Islanders – NBCSN – 12 p.m. ET

Game 2 – Arizona vs. Nashville – NBCSN – 2:30 p.m. ET

Game 2 – Columbus vs. Toronto – NBCSN – 4 p.m. ET

Game 3 – Winnipeg vs. Calgary – NBCSN – 6:30 p.m. ET

Game 3 – Carolina vs. N.Y. Rangers – NBCSN – 8 p.m. ET

Game 2 – Minnesota vs. Vancouver – USA Network – 10:30 p.m. ET

Wed., August 5

Game 3 – Florida vs. N.Y. Islanders – NBCSN – 12 p.m. ET

Game 3 – Arizona vs. Nashville – NBCSN – 2:30 p.m. ET

Round Robin – Tampa Bay vs. Boston – NBCSN – 4 p.m. ET

Round Robin – Colorado vs. Dallas – NBCSN – 6:30 p.m. ET

Game 3 – Montreal vs. Pittsburgh – NBCSN – 8 p.m. ET

Game 3 – Chicago vs. Edmonton – NBCSN – 10:30 p.m. ET

In addition, NBC Sports will present coverage of the following exhibition games on NBCSN on July 28 and 29:

Tues., July 28

Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia – NBCSN – 4 p.m. ET

Wed., July 29

Carolina vs. Washington – NBCSN – 4 p.m. ET

Chicago vs. St. Louis – NBCSN – 6:30 p.m. ET

N.Y. Rangers vs. N.Y. Islanders – NBCSN – 8 p.m. ET

• Like 4

Not sure how nbcsports can broadcast one game starting at 6:30 and then another starting at 8:00 on the same channel (see Aug 2). Looks like many conflicts.

Apetersvt, thank you, for posting a 2019/20 N.H.L. round-robin t.v. schedule. I do appreciate it.
  • Like 3

Not sure how nbcsports can broadcast one game starting at 6:30 and then another starting at 8:00 on the same channel (see Aug 2). Looks like many conflicts.

Some games will be in progress and they will cut to them as they can, at least that's what I read.

• Like 1

Some games will be in progress and they will cut to them as they can, at least that's what I read.

That's how it appears. Going to be a lot of people upset that the game they want to see won't be shown until the previous one concludes (and could go to multiple overtimes) or if the game the want to see gets cut off to switch to the later feed. Was hoping NBC would make more use of USA/MSNBC, etc... (other stations that they control). Just looked at today's USA schedule. Don't think many people would be upset if they can't watch NCIS or Modern Family reruns instead of playoff hockey.

• Like 2