Stairway to Heaven: Does anyone remember...?

goose

Too bad there isn't a Hell because they'd be there.

The Ninth and Innermost Circle of Hell, according to Dante Alighieri.

The final, deepest level of Hell - reserved for traitors, betrayers and oathbreakers. Televangelists deserve nothing less.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_oOWV5fWcZM0/S3f2kKFAjqI/AAAAAAAAAKY/xyn_Y8h92kU/s400/Gustave_Dore_Inferno32.jpg

Spineless from the start, sucked into the part

Circus comes to town, you play the lead clown

Please, please

Spreading his disease, living by his story

Knees, knees

Falling to your knees, suffer for his glory

You will

Time for lust, time for lie

Time to kiss your life goodbye

Send me money, send me green

Heaven you will meet

Make a contribution

And you'll get a better seat

Bow to leper messiah

Marvel at his tricks, need your Sunday fix

Blind devotion came, rotting your brain

Chain, chain

Join the endless chain

Taken by his glamour

Fame, Fame

Infection is the game,stinking drunk with power

We see

The concept of hell is disgusting.

Their hatred though...i getcha

people got boners for vengeance

Isn't that the name of the latest "Best of Judas Priest" collection?

• Like 4

people got boners for vengeance

Isn't that the name of the latest "Best of Judas Priest" collection?

No, you're thinking of British Wood. Or wait . . . maybe that was Defenders of the Phallus.

• Like 2

Too bad there isn't a Hell because they'd be there.

The Ninth and Innermost Circle of Hell, according to Dante Alighieri.

The final, deepest level of Hell - reserved for traitors, betrayers and oathbreakers. Televangelists deserve nothing less.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_oOWV5fWcZM0/S3f2kKFAjqI/AAAAAAAAAKY/xyn_Y8h92kU/s400/Gustave_Dore_Inferno32.jpg

Spineless from the start, sucked into the part

Circus comes to town, you play the lead clown

Please, please

Spreading his disease, living by his story

Knees, knees

Falling to your knees, suffer for his glory

You will

Time for lust, time for lie

Time to kiss your life goodbye

Send me money, send me green

Heaven you will meet

Make a contribution

And you'll get a better seat

Bow to leper messiah

Marvel at his tricks, need your Sunday fix

Blind devotion came, rotting your brain

Chain, chain

Join the endless chain

Taken by his glamour

Fame, Fame

Infection is the game, stinking drunk with power

We see

Wait until the religious freaks hear Dyers Eve and Holier Than Thou. Straight forward religion and hypocrite bashing based on Hetfield’s childhood experience.

• Like 2

My catholic school had a Nun who subjected all of the students to this hysteria. It was pretty cool though to listen to heavy metal songs in Religion class!

Lucky you.

One of the priests/teachers at my Catholic high school in the mid/late 80s enjoyed Led Zeppelin and other hard rock bands. I never did get around to asking him about Rush though. I DID manage to slide in a couple of Rush lyrics (Time Stand Still and Analog Kid) in our senior year “My Life” 25 page final report.

For another project we had to study, report/do a speech on another religion and, if willing/possible, attend that other religion’s service. Always thought that was a pretty cool idea. There was no comparing or contrasting that religion with Catholicism but simply to report on that other religion.

Another priest/teacher at that same high school had us watch The Breakfast Club then discuss teen, family, and societal relations and expectations. I had already seen the movie a billion times by then but I thought it was a pretty cool thing to do too.

So looking back, I’d say I was pretty lucky to have those teachers.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

My catholic school had a Nun who subjected all of the students to this hysteria. It was pretty cool though to listen to heavy metal songs in Religion class!

Lucky you.

One of the priests/teachers at my Catholic high school in the mid/late 80s enjoyed Led Zeppelin and other hard rock bands. I never did get around to asking him about Rush though. I DID manage to slide in a couple of Rush lyrics (Time Stand Still and Analog Kid) in our senior year “My Life” 25 page final report.

For another project we had to study, report/do a speech on another religion and, if willing/possible, attend that other religion’s service. Always thought that was a pretty cool idea. There was no comparing or contrasting that religion with the Catholicism but simply to report on that other religion.

Another priest/teacher at that same high school had us watch The Breakfast Club then discuss teen, family, and societal relations and expectations. I had already seen the movie a billion times by then but I thought it was a pretty cool thing to do too.

So looking back, I’d say I was pretty lucky to have those teachers.

Part of my wife's family is Syrian Orthodox, so I've attended a few funerals in their church. My childhood best friend was Jewish, so I attended a couple of their services as well. I'm always struck by the similarity in the way a service is conducted and in the general tone of the services. I find it fascinating.

• Like 3

I had a Math teacher in 8th grade that let us play the entire "PARANOID" album during the last day of class in 1972!

OjbOXBa.jpg

• Like 2

I graduated in 1985. I remember the whole thing. Our church was just about like what went on in that short movie. Our youth pastor sent all of us home with badly Xeroxed sheets listing all of these horrible bands with an explanation of what was so wrong. AC/DC, Eagles, ELO, y'know, heavy metal bands like REO Speedwagon, Styx and the like.

I remember Resurrection Band had a track that started with a backwards message. Played in reverse it was "Why are you looking for Devil, when you ought'a be looking for the Lord". :notworthy: Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I had a Math teacher in 8th grade that let us play the entire "PARANOID" album during the last day of class in 1972!

OjbOXBa.jpg

I thought back then adults thought that rock n roll was from TEH DEVIL

• Like 2

OjbOXBa.jpg

I thought back then adults thought that rock n roll was from TEH DEVIL

Ya gotta give the 'younger set' the benefit of the doubt, fraroc! This guy was a younger teacher, and I don't know if he was into Black Sabbath or not, but most of the class enjoyed that record! [vinyl, of course!]

OjbOXBa.jpg

I graduated in 1985. I remember the whole thing. Our church was just about like what went on in that short movie. Our youth pastor sent all of us home with badly Xeroxed sheets listing all of these horrible bands with an explanation of what was so wrong. AC/DC, Eagles, ELO, y'know, heavy metal bands like REO Speedwagon, Styx and the like.

I remember Resurrection Band had a track that started with a backwards message. Played in reverse it was "Why are you looking for Devil, when you ought'a be looking for the Lord". :notworthy:

That's pretty awesome. Hopefully that calmed some people down. However... our church was so strict it wouldn't have allowed for that. Backwards sounds were considered by their nature as Satanic. Power chords were called the Devil's Fifth. They didn't even want us listening to Stryper. They were tainted by that sound.

• Like 1

I remember Resurrection Band had a track that started with a backwards message. Played in reverse it was "Why are you looking for Devil, when you ought'a be looking for the Lord". :notworthy:

That's pretty awesome. Hopefully that calmed some people down. However... our church was so strict it wouldn't have allowed for that. Backwards sounds were considered by their nature as Satanic. Power chords were called the Devil's Fifth. They didn't even want us listening to Stryper. They were tainted by that sound.

And the "anapestic beat"!!!! :fury:
  • Like 1

I just can't believe people can be THIS STUPID. I played in a 'Christian' type band in late '78 Through '81, called New Wine, We played 'christian music' like all the Godspell music, stuff like He Ain't Heavy, He's my brother, Turn, Turn, Turn ...We weren't being pretentious, we called ourselves NUDE WINOS! When we played churches and such, Me with 3/4 of my Octaplus rainbow kit people were wowed...fun times

ob1EmNQ.jpg

cEZvPhs.gif

• Like 3

I just can't believe people can be THIS STUPID. I played in a 'Christian' type band in late '78 Through '81, called New Wine, We played 'christian music' like all the Godspell music, stuff like He Ain't Heavy, He's my brother, Turn, Turn, Turn ...We weren't being pretentious, we called ourselves NUDE WINOS! When we played churches and such, Me with 3/4 of my Octaplus rainbow kit people were wowed...fun times

ob1EmNQ.jpg

cEZvPhs.gif

Holy drum kit! And nice shirt, ORF!

Do you still have those drums, or 3/4 of 'em at least? Those were highly collectable a few years back. Cool!

• Like 2

ob1EmNQ.jpg

cEZvPhs.gif

Holy drum kit! And nice shirt, ORF!

Do you still have those drums, or 3/4 of 'em at least? Those were highly collectable a few years back. Cool!

Nope. When my partents moved out of this house, I decided to let the 'auction place' sell my stuff. got $214 dollars for the whole shebang minus the cymbals and stands, my Brothers wife also threw out my concert T's I had including the RUSH one I'm wearing here. I STILL don't visit my brother too much because of this debacle...

BIqvCBz.gif

• Like 1

ob1EmNQ.jpg

cEZvPhs.gif

You're 2nd from right?

• Like 1

ob1EmNQ.jpg

cEZvPhs.gif

Love the translucent plexi-kit! Pure metal! :haz:
  • Like 2

ob1EmNQ.jpg

cEZvPhs.gif

You're 2nd from right?

Straight outta Teen Beat!
  • Like 1

ob1EmNQ.jpg

cEZvPhs.gif

You're 2nd from right?

I'm the one on the far left, in the RUSH shirt. ATWAS tour, and my FIRST RUSH shirt.

zklCsVC.gif

• Like 1

ob1EmNQ.jpg

cEZvPhs.gif

Love the translucent plexi-kit! Pure metal! :haz:

Got the Vista-Lyte idea from Keith Moon, when I saw him playing a clear one on a special on TV in '74 and had gold fish in his floor tom!

bbxNbLF.gif

• Like 1

ob1EmNQ.jpg

cEZvPhs.gif

You're 2nd from right?

Straight outta Teen Beat!

You've NEVER EVEN SEEN a 'Teen Beat' magabore if you think that pic looks similar to what they pandered on the public. My niece, the one on the far right, read that crap, so I got to see it whenever I went to her house...across the street.

BIqvCBz.gif

ob1EmNQ.jpg

cEZvPhs.gif

You're 2nd from right?

Looks like George Harrison. Or are you counting the skull?

• Like 1

The Skull is from The Haunted House store in Disney World. there is a matching one on the speaker out of view to the left. This was my BEATLES Shrine. All the stuff from the White Album, Poster, individual portraits, a Magazine I had back in the '70s called The Beatles Forever which had photos and such, People are from the Right, my sister's daughter, two cousins from Fla. and Me on the far left with the RUSH tee on.

JGJEdLh.jpg

• Like 1