Gear Acquisition Syndrome

toymaker

I have CAI syndrome: can’t afford it. I own exactly one bass and one guitar!

I feel like every guy musician I know has way more than they could possibly ever play, lol.

Guys won't admit this, but guitar collections are sort of like collecting girlfriends...more is better and it's never enough. Plus guitars are less drama...usually.

Your post got me thinking...how many guitars would be 'enough' for a reasonably active musician? I came up with about 5:

Solid body (les paul)

Strat (single coil)

Semi-hollow or hollow

6 string acoustic

12 string acoustic

A few I left off would be a super Strat (PRS or similar) or a Tele (personally not found of them, but they are workhorses).

ok gearheads, what's your desert island list of 5 guitars?

I pretty much have my five.

Les Paul (humbuckers, fixed tailpiece and bridge)

Kiesel (humbuckers, tremolo bridge, PRS-style solid body)

Strat (single coils)

Tele (single coils)

Gibson archtop jazz acoustic

I don't have a normal acoustic. it's one of those things I'd like to have but don't find myself really missing. I can pick up the archtop if I'm in an acoustic mood. Granted, it doesn't play or sound anything like a round-hole Martin or whatever but it's fine for now. Perhaps a hollow or semi-hollow electric instead of the Strat? Maybe.

• Like 2

I feel like every guy musician I know has way more than they could possibly ever play, lol.

Guys won't admit this, but guitar collections are sort of like collecting girlfriends...more is better and it's never enough. Plus guitars are less drama...usually.

Your post got me thinking...how many guitars would be 'enough' for a reasonably active musician? I came up with about 5:

Solid body (les paul)

Strat (single coil)

Semi-hollow or hollow

6 string acoustic

12 string acoustic

A few I left off would be a super Strat (PRS or similar) or a Tele (personally not found of them, but they are workhorses).

Strat (single coils)

Tele (single coils)

I don't have a normal acoustic. it's one of those things I'd like to have but don't find myself really missing. I can pick up the archtop if I'm in an acoustic mood. Granted, it doesn't play or sound anything like a round-hole Martin or whatever but it's fine for now. Perhaps a hollow or semi-hollow electric instead of the Strat? Maybe.

And see, I’m just the opposite- I only play acoustic, because that’s all I’ve ever been interested in playing, up to this point. I mean obviously, I love guitar music of all kinds. But when it comes to playing, I’m just picky! (Pun intended).

I cannot make a desert island list of five...it would leave too many other things out.

• Like 2

Solid body (les paul)

Strat (single coil)

Semi-hollow or hollow

6 string acoustic

12 string acoustic

Strat (single coils)

Tele (single coils)

And see, I’m just the opposite- I only play acoustic, because that’s all I’ve ever been interested in playing, up to this point. I mean obviously, I love guitar music of all kinds. But when it comes to playing, I’m just picky! (Pun intended).

I cannot make a desert island list of five...it would leave too many other things out.

But on a desert island you'd most likely have more success playing acoustic, unless there was a power supply for the rest of us to plug in!

• Like 2

I have CAI syndrome: can’t afford it. I own exactly one bass and one guitar! Edit: I forgot, I have an old acoustic Madeira.

Well, one instrument is certainly all that is necessary, yes...I mean I could go into a wordy explanation (I’m big on those) about the idea that each one of my guitars has its own particular strength, as far as the style of playing that sounds best on it...and which one is the most versatile and the least versatile that I have. But I’d probably just sound like a snob. :P

(I know, I know...if the shoe fits)...

• Like 1

Solid body (les paul)

Strat (single coil)

Semi-hollow or hollow

6 string acoustic

12 string acoustic

Strat (single coils)

Tele (single coils)

But on a desert island you'd most likely have more success playing acoustic, unless there was a power supply for the rest of us to plug in!

Exactly!

Acoustic guitar (or any acoustic instrument) is perfect for weathering the apocalypse. On an island.

Or anywhere else.

• Like 1

Solid body (les paul)

Strat (single coil)

Semi-hollow or hollow

6 string acoustic

12 string acoustic

Strat (single coils)

Tele (single coils)

I think that's a sign you might need an intervention...
  • Like 2

Solid body (les paul)

Strat (single coil)

Semi-hollow or hollow

6 string acoustic

12 string acoustic

Strat (single coils)

Tele (single coils)

I think that's a sign you might need an intervention...

Certainly would not be the first time in my life that I’ve needed one of those...!

• Like 2

I was doing really well . . . haven't bought anything for a while. But now there's a 1960s Kay "Speed Demon" bass for sale in my area. I love Kay guitars . . .

But it's a bit pricey . . . and I told myself I was done.

^^^ Well that sure looks nice! I don't recognize the name, what is it?

It's a Grote. Unfortunate name, right :D . Sounds great, good quality. Really happy. Though the bridge (Tune - O - Matic rattles! )will need replacing, and tuners. Wish I could get an original.

Just delivered yesterday. An early 80's NY built Steinberger XP2. Fully restored. My 4th bass overall, and my first bass purchase since 2015. After thi$ one, I'm not buying anything for a long time.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by grep
  • Like 5

Just delivered yesterday. An early 80's NY built Steinberger XP2. Fully restored. My 4th bass overall, and my first bass purchase since 2015. After thi$ one, I'm not buying anything for a long time.

s-l1600.jpg

That's what I said back in October when my Kiesel Aries was delivered. No more guitars for a long time. Two guitars later, and I'm not going to say that again.

• Like 3

s-l1600.jpg

That's what I said back in October when my Kiesel Aries was delivered. No more guitars for a long time. Two guitars later, and I'm not going to say that again.

hahah! I get it.

In the back of my mind, I'm thinking.... next I want to find an 80's WAL. But I think the divorce will cost me far more than the 10 grand I don't have to spend.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

s-l1600.jpg

Congrats! They're such a cool part of bass history. I had an XL-2 two or three years ago for a while and nothing else sounds quite like those '80s Steinbergers.

And yeah, I also wanted a Wal for a long time, but missed the window when they could be found fairly cheap used and will never own one now. Twenty years ago, they seemed to be out of fashion for a bit and you could find them on eBay for less than $2K. Those days are LONG gone (just like the days of being able to find Roland Jupiter 8's and Oberheim OB-X's for under $2K). Anybody who wants anything even remotely iconic from the '80s instrument wise, I'd probably think about getting it sooner rather than later. Some items, like some of the most classic synths, are now up to 4 to 6X the average asking prices of ten years ago.

• Like 1

I have a different issue with gear. I have added 5 more boards that are not pictured here.

51232157936_5cab284a62_c.jpg

Edited by custom55

s-l1600.jpg

I hadn’t bought anything since 2019 (and that was just one, after all)…but I’ve picked up four more in the past four months, now.

Oops.

• Like 2

Today I bought my first new bass in over 40 years. I stopped into a guitar shop last night to kill time before my daughter’s hockey game. Hanging on the wall was a Hofner “Beatle” bass. I’ve wanted one for about 40 years, I decided it was fate and today I went back and bought it. Edited by Rick N. Backer
  • Like 4

s-l1600.jpg

Going to sell the Steiney. It's hard to play, getting frustrating - as much as I love the sound.

My muscle memory keeps me playing a whole or half step sharp above the 5th fret. Wasn't expecting that.

I want to practice to be a better player, at this stage - not learn a new instrument. So back to eBay for this one. (After I record all the string sounds for sampling).

If anyone is interested in investing in this beauty, you can PM me if you like.

Edited by grep

I have a different issue with gear. I have added 5 more boards that are not pictured here.

51232157936_5cab284a62_c.jpg

Do you have any of the Rush skateboards?

Ah, my skateboarding days are far in the past. No skateboards.