Gods Of The Electric Guitar - FINAL ROUND

Lucas

Who Is The GOD Of The Electric Guitar  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is The Greatest Electric Guitarist Of All Time ?

• Jimmy Page
    • Stevie Ray Vaughan
    • Ritchie Blackmore
    • Steve Howe
    • Jimi Hendrix
    • Alex Lifeson
    • Edward Van Halen
    • Tony Iommi
    • Brian May
    • David Gilmour

Hendrix was great, but i just don't get the GOAT vibe from his playing.

Really? Cuz from my perspective the only vibe Jimi ever gives off is the "GOAT" one, whether or not I actually like him the best.

certainly the greatest of his time, in terms of innovation and influence. Eddie as well.

How would you define "greatest of all time"?

It really is impossible to define. You just know it when you hear it. Don't get me wrong, Hendrix was great, but I just think quite a few guitarists have done it better since.

Sidenote: Jeff Beck didn't make this final round? JHC.

Really? Cuz from my perspective the only vibe Jimi ever gives off is the "GOAT" one, whether or not I actually like him the best.

certainly the greatest of his time, in terms of innovation and influence. Eddie as well.

I don't think there is any doubt that Hendrix is the most influential guitarist ever (with EVH second and then a wide gap between him and whoever number 3 is), but that doesn't mean greatest, IMO.

• Like 1

It really is impossible to define. You just know it when you hear it. Don't get me wrong, Hendrix was great, but I just think quite a few guitarists have done it better since.

"You just know it when you hear it" doesn't make much sense to me when it's preceded by "It really is impossible to define."

Some of us obviously don't know it when we hear it or we'd all be voting the same.

• Like 1

Sidenote: Jeff Beck didn't make this final round? JHC.

I don't think there is any doubt that Hendrix is the most influential guitarist ever (with EVH second and then a wide gap between him and whoever number 3 is), but that doesn't mean greatest, IMO.

"Greatest" to me means influence and innovation. "Best" for me suggests technique, range of work, and intangibles like playing within the song. I'd describe Alex as one of the best, for example, but not one of the greatest. Just how I tend to look at the two terms.

I voted for Van Halen, and I think that's the "right" vote. However, difficult to argue with Hendrix winning.

Fair enough. But for all of Eddie's chops, the last 30 years sounded pretty much like the first 10 years. I think with the substance abuse, he also got creatively lazy. When people think Van Halen, they think of the first 10 years and that's it.

That's true, although he has largely been inactive with respect to new releases for about 20 years (other than releasing a number of old tunes 10 years ago with Roth).

But from 1978 to 1984 he did more to revolutionize the electric guitar than anyone, and I'd include Hendrix there. The 1980s are basically defined by him and a bunch of his imitators. As I've said a few times, there's a difference between playing Eruption, which a lot of people can do, and creating it, which one man did. And listen to the entire Fair Warning album. So many incredible moments, from the intro to Mean Street to the monster run at the beginning of Dirty Movies to the mood created by the intro to Hear About it Later to the main riff of Unchained.

I've probably told this before, but I was 10 or 11 years old ( early 1978 ) and the family was riding in the car .. I always made sure to ride shotgun next to my Dad so I could play with the radio ..

So the DJ talks about this new band, and proceeds to play You Really Got Me ... as a kid who was starting out on guitar, I was blown away ... Now keep in mind, my Dad played guitar and we had music in the house all the time - I was not naïve when it came to music ... and my Dad was unsure if what we just had heard was all guitar ..

So before we get home, we stopped at Two Guys department store .. It was the Target of the 70s, and where I got some of my albums or 8 tracks ... We find this new band's album, and we bought the 8 track version, as I had just got a stereo in my room with an 8 track player ..

So we get home, and I get to song number two - Eruption .... I am frozen in disbelief at what I am hearing - but before it even ends, I pull the 8 track out fearing that the spools of tape are spilling out - and worried that there is something wrong with the tape, as it was speeding up and slowing down as if the tape itself was possessed ..

I tell my Dad that we need to return the 8 track, and explain why ..

An hour or so later, we're back at home with the LP

When I get to song number two again - the same thing ... I call my Dad in to listen, and my Dad - a guitarist who had played professionally at one point and idolized Les Paul - sat there with me in complete disbelief ..

Remembering back to that, I am contemplating changing my vote here

I remember hearing it coming from a neighbor's house as I walked by. It was mindblowing.

All of them are greats. Depending on the mood I could vote for at least 4or 5 of this list for all of the reasons mentioned. I voted for Page and, to a certain extent, it’s a bit of a misvote since so much of his genius material was not technically on electric guitar.

TONY IOMMI!

Yeah, I've never got a GOAT vibe from Hendrix either. He revolutionized how to play the electric guitar no doubt about it. But his songs do nothing for me.

I listened to Diver Down while cutting the grass today. Cathedral, Big Bad Bill (is Sweet William Now), Little Guitars (Intro) and The Full Bug. Does someone else have that kind of diversity to boast? On one 35 minute album?

Yes, I know it's over. So was Super Bowl LI in the third quarter. ;)

• Like 3

I listened to Diver Down while cutting the grass today. Cathedral, Big Bad Bill (is Sweet William Now), Little Guitars (Intro) and The Full Bug. Does someone else have that kind of diversity to boast? On one 35 minute album?

I said it earlier, but that's the album to listen to if you want a good range of what Eddie can do. Eddie's work on most VH is a pigeon-holed approach because that's what VH fans want, and Eddie's in the business of selling records and concert tix.
  • Like 1

I am surprised that Stevie Ray hasn't received more votes

I realize that he was inspired by Hendrix and covered a few of Jimi's songs - so if anyone is going to take votes away from Stevie, it would be Hendrix ..

But of all the guys on this list, SRV is the only one who I can picture not being dwarfed going out onstage w/ Hendrix

As great and innovating and exciting as Eddie is/was, put him up there onstage with Hendrix jamming Voodoo Child and his approach and way of playing wouldn't hold up

• Like 1

Each one of these guys gets to go into the studio and record an album on his own - he's writing all the music, but it could be either instrumental or vocals or a bit of both ... No Freddie Mercury, no David Lee Roth, etc to lean on

Who gets the job done ?? ... Does that type of thing even matter ?

I think a true Guitar God should be able to make a masterpiece on his own

• Like 2

I am surprised that Stevie Ray hasn't received more votes

I realize that he was inspired by Hendrix and covered a few of Jimi's songs - so if anyone is going to take votes away from Stevie, it would be Hendrix ..

But of all the guys on this list, SRV is the only one who I can picture not being dwarfed going out onstage w/ Hendrix

As great and innovating and exciting as Eddie is/was, put him up there onstage with Hendrix jamming Voodoo Child and his approach and way of playing wouldn't hold up

There's a flip side to that coin: put SRV on stage and ask him to jam along with EVH to Eruption or Panama and I am not sure he would fair well. And that is okay. Very few guitarists can do every style extremely well.

"Greatest" to me means influence and innovation. "Best" for me suggests technique, range of work, and intangibles like playing within the song. I'd describe Alex as one of the best, for example, but not one of the greatest. Just how I tend to look at the two terms.

I hear ya. There is no one right answer here, which is what makes the discussion so fun. :dweez:

Edited by The K Man
  • Like 1

Each one of these guys gets to go into the studio and record an album on his own - he's writing all the music, but it could be either instrumental or vocals or a bit of both ... No Freddie Mercury, no David Lee Roth, etc to lean on

Who gets the job done ?? ... Does that type of thing even matter ?

I think a true Guitar God should be able to make a masterpiece on his own

In his prime, May could definitely do that. He had a nice singing voice of his own and people tend to forget he wrote as much as Fred in Queen. Nowadays, much as I love him, I'm afraid he's so comfortable in his own styles and legacy his solo work isn't that impressive.

But consider the fact that he basically made Good Company all by himself.

• Like 1

I said it earlier, but that's the album to listen to if you want a good range of what Eddie can do. Eddie's work on most VH is a pigeon-holed approach because that's what VH fans want, and Eddie's in the business of selling records and concert tix.

I did wind up listening to it the other day, and while I do think it's a lot better than I was giving it credit for before, I don't think Eddie's playing stood out to me as much different than on any of their other classics. Perhaps if I went and learned how to play the songs I'd find them remarkably different, but compared to May, Eddie pretty much does the same thing(s) all the time imo.

Everyone has a vote

4 hours to go

Anyone up for a Gods Of Rock Vocals poll ??

Would certainly be fine with that. Dio and Rob Halford need to be in it though.

Would female vocalists be included in that? If not, why not?

In any case, I predict a Freddie Mercury victory.

• Like 2

Everyone has a vote

4 hours to go

Anyone up for a Gods Of Rock Vocals poll ??

Would certainly be fine with that. Dio and Rob Halford need to be in it though.

Would female vocalists be included in that? If not, why not?

In any case, I predict a Freddie Mercury victory.

What's more, I foresee it. :D

Although I'd love to cast my votes for some other great singers as well, but you all know who's my number 1.

• Like 1