Porcupine Tree - Phase I or Phase II?

greyfriar

see topic title  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Face I or Face II?

• Phase I (1993-2001) - Wilson - Maitland - Edwin - Barbieri
    • Phase II (2002-2010) - Wilson - Harrison - Edwin - Barbieri - (Wes)

Which stage of PT do you prefer? Why?

this trip is really necessary... :codger:

I choose both!! Really. I love all PT Phases and perceive changes in their music as positive elements that used to built their career.

They were amazing together! :notworthy:

• Like 1

If only Stupid Dream was part of Phase II instead of Phase I then it'd be so easy for me to just go with Phase II and call it a day.

Yes!

• Like 1

Which stage of PT do you prefer? Why?

this trip is really necessary... :codger:

Holy Shit my brother!

This is probably your best poll EVER!!

Too bad there is no RUSHHEAD "BOTH" choice!!!

I LOVE BOTH PHASES! EQUAL!!!

OMG!

"I WANT YOU TO PUT FELIX'S PENIS ON ME!!"

I LOVE ALL PT!

• Like 2

I know there are a lot of Harrison Homers on here. He's in my TOP 6. Even 73 loves this cat.

However I love both drummers of this once amazing band. Sadly the band is dead.

Signed......

Yep.......

Here it comes.....

You the reader know this........

RUSH

Phase 2, mostly because I don't like the more 'jammy', space rock nature of earlier PT. That's not to say there aren't good songs peppered throughout the older stuff, but on a whole I never find myself putting on those albums but still spin most Phase 2 albums from time to time.
  • Like 1

Phase 2, mostly because I don't like the more 'jammy', space rock nature of earlier PT. That's not to say there aren't good songs peppered throughout the older stuff, but on a whole I never find myself putting on those albums but still spin most Phase 2 albums from time to time.

Agree. Not really into the ambient stuff of the earliest records. Largely I don't begin liking this band on a full record until Signify.

If you had asked me prior to last year, I would've said Phase II, but now I've been listening to Phase I more often than Phase II. I'm a bit hessitant to vote cause I like both eras really.

Like Not, had Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun been part of Phase II, without a question I'd vote Phase II and call it a day. Fear Of A Blank Planet is my favorite PT album period. After it would be Stupid Dream, Up The Downstair, In Absentia and Lightbulb Sun rounding up my top 5.

• Like 1

Phase 2 easily.

Not to say Phase 1 did not have some great stuff as it did. I do enjoy Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and Signify. But as a whole Phase two dominates my listening time with PT.

Just incredible albums.

• Like 1

I knew I would be in the minority in this one. Oh well. I go way back with the band having first heard of them around 1991 or 92 but then not actually hearing them until the late 90's. I actually consider In Absentia to be phase one but to be honest there was more than two phases in my opinion.
  • Like 1

They were more organized writers in Phase 2. Much better overall direction and flow in releases. However, all of my all time favorite PT records are in Phase 1 (Signify, TSMS, Up the Downstair). It's nearly impossible to pick between the two, but I go to Phase 1 more often every time I decide to listen to some PT.
  • Like 1

Oh, that's a tough one, but if forced to choose, I'd have to go with phase 2.

I like the earlier albums, especially Stupid Dream, but In Absentia, Deadwing and FOABP are the ones I play most frequently. I love the combination of metal-influenced material and hauntingly beautiful ballads (Lazarus, Sentimental ,My Ashes).

• Like 3

Oh, that's a tough one, but if forced to choose, I'd have to go with phase 2.

I like the earlier albums, especially Stupid Dream, but In Absentia, Deadwing and FOABP are the ones I play most frequently. I love the combination of metal-influenced material and hauntingly beautiful ballads (Lazarus, Sentimental ,My Ashes).

Same here. Love it all but the phase 2 stuff is more frequently played.

• Like 2

Phase 2 easily. Mostly cause the space rock stuff wore quickly. And the phase 2 lineup and the albums they put out. unbeatable to these ears. Although i do REALLY like Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I'm going with phase one and that is probably because I learned about the band already in the nineties. I saw them two times on the Stupid Dream tour and two times on the Lightbulb Sun tour and all those shows were pure magic.

If I listen to PT nowadays it seems always the same... I end up with a marathon that goes up to In Absentia and after that album there's a radical change. Don't know exactly what it is but Deadwing and FOABP are not necessarily faves of mine.

Phase I rules!!!!

• Like 3

Phase 2 easily. Mostly cause the space rock stuff wore quickly. And the phase 2 lineup and the albums they put out. unbeatable to these ears. Although i do REALLY like Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun

Mick

TBH, the space-rock stuff was always a snooze-fest. It never really gets any better than the run of Deadwing/FoaBP/The Incident. That includes all the solo stuff. Probably in the minority here again.

• Like 1

I'm going with phase one and that is probably because I learned about the band already in the nineties. I saw them two times on the Stupid Dream tour and two times on the Lightbulb Sun tour and all those shows were pure magic.

If I listen to PT nowadays it seems always the same... I end up with a marathon that goes up to In Absentia and after that album there's a radical change. Don't know exactly what it is but Deadwing and FOABP are not necessarily faves of mine.

Phase I rules!!!!

We disagree...all good! :hi:

• Like 1